Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2017 12:17:46 PM EDT
I currently own a REI Alcove shelter and of course I also purchased the accessory wind wall with it.
I bought this thing around three years ago and consider it really well made.
Although during a week long camp in Big Bend Nat. Park a very high wind came up and ruined the wind wall but the canopy and structure stayed up and was not affected.
REI actually gave me a replacement wind wall under warranty.
Then last week again while camping in Big Bend for a week I had two days of very hard winds.
Even though the structure was guyed out completely the wind was so strong that it flipped the entire shelter and of course destroyed the wind wall and shattered one of the frame plastic connectors.
It appears REI is dropping this model for a newer updated type.
These shelters really are helpful for getting out of the sun  wind or rain while at camp and especially nice when it's raining and you are trying to cook a meal so no matter what I consider them almost as essential as my tent for week long camping.
I am currently in search of something else to replace the Alcove with and was wondering if you guys ever use these things and if so what are your suggestions for a possible replacement?
I am not interested in one of those cheap sporting goods models that routinely sell for $50-$70.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a big fan of camping tarps with a couple telescoping poles. Super light weight, handles wind well and can be used in multiple configurations. Can be used low to the ground or up high. A frame, flat or slopping. Very versatile.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of camping tarps with a couple telescoping poles. Super light weight, handles wind well and can be used in multiple configurations. Can be used low to the ground or up high. A frame, flat or slopping. Very versatile.
View Quote

I don't think that would work well in even a moderate wind though.

I am going by REI Friday and seeing if they sell replacement parts for the Alcove shelter .
If not I will just buy another one because they are on sale for $94.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Shelter Logic? Around three bills. About 80 lbs. Straight legs. Replaceable & assorted tops. Gangable.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:23:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Properly setup, it's hard to beat a simple rectangular tarp, in an "A" configuration, or as a "shed" simple slope. Using telescoping (REI) poles, plenty of light line, and adequate stakes, you can erect a fairly generous size tarp in such a way as to withstand pretty significant winds and torrential rain. I use a Cooke Custom Sewing sil-nylon 10'x12' tarp as my principal sun/rain shelter, and it's shrugged off downpours and gusts to around 40 knots. (Other members favor other brands, but CCS is as good as it gets, in my book....) Don't skimp on accessories ---stakes, stout line (4-5mm Dacron/Polyester), robust poles --- and you shouldn't have any problems. Arizona campgrounds are in summer littered with the twisted wreckage of EZ-UP and similar, inferior shade structures succumbed to thunderstorm downdrafts and inadequate anchorage.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:26:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Tarps aren't cool brah.....

I've seen tents fail where tarps don't.
I've seen both fail if not set correctly.
Most folks are plug and play,when it comes to camping.

Last few car camping trips. Aka trips that are not backpacking. I let my wife pick where she "thought" the tent should be set up...then showed her things like slopes that will carry rain right to us...widow makers above us ...roots...etc.

Then sun shelters/screen tents etc have their place...but me. Ill go with a tarp...much more versatility.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top