Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2017 12:16:29 AM EDT
I've been needing a new tent for airplane camping for quite a while now. Have narrowed my choices down to the Base Camp series of tents. Size and weight of the tent really are not issues, both pack up fairly small, and both are under 20 Lbs. My main concerns between the two are durability in weather mainly wind, and setup/takedown time, So would you go for the 4 or the 6?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:17:06 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are talking about the REI Basecamp I would be shocked if there was any difference in materials/quality between the two.

Sometimes the larger version of a tent also has higher sides on the bathtub floor, which is an added bonus to going with the larger size.

Once it is up bigger is almost always better so I would say go with the 6.

Edit:
WRT wind, there is not a huge difference in the external dimensions and they are sort of a 4+2 pole design so I would expect them to be equally stable in the wind and not much different to erect in some weather.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Base Camp 6 tent.  The 4 and the 6 are much the same except for size.  The 4 is really fairly small.  The 6 is plenty roomy for my two cots plus the dog's crate. Most importantly, I can stand up inside the Base Camp 6 with it's 6'2" inside height.  The smaller tent is only five feet high.  I hate fumbling around getting dressed inside a tent that doesn't let me stand.

Setup with two people is about 10 minutes.  I've never had wind concerns; dome tents are quite stable and this has many tie downs.  The stakes tend to pull out of sandy soil, so if that's common bring some sand stakes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an older version of the Basecamp 6. It is large enough for 2 cots with a space in the middle and on the ends of the cots for gear. Keep in mind that tent capacity is always very optimistic. You could fit 6 people in it if they were really friendly.

It's been used on a a number of camping trips and has gone through a few heavy rainstorms with no issue. If you stake it down, it'll withstand high winds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top