Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2017 2:14:14 PM EDT
Do you use a different set of soles for your hiking boots than what the manufacturer has given?  Just curious, because my Merrell boots seem to have a little thinner sole and I'm wondering if changing it out would lessen the impact on my ankles/knees.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't actually changed the soles out on any of my boots but I did go from hiking with lighter weight Merrells (both Chameleons and Moabs) to Asolo Fugitives. The Asolos have much thicker soles and I have noticed a difference with regards how sore my knees, etc feel at the end of a hike.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I buy all of my hiking boots 1/2 size up and put the hybrid Dr. Scholl's gel insoles (the ones with the honeycomb center in the heel) right on top of the insole that came with the boot.  
The thin boot insole will mold to my footprint through the layer on top, helping lock the gel into a stable cushioning footbed.  Some people claim that the gel breaks down too quickly, but that hasn't been my experience using this method.  

I hiked ~ 26 miles at the south rim of the Grand Canyon and probably another 14-ish miles between the North Rim and Bryce Canyon this summer on vacation and didn't have a single blister or hot spot.  
And yes, they definitely make a difference.  I used to work a job where I was on my feet on concrete 10+ hours per day, my feet, calves, and knees would all ache by the end of the shift.  
Doubling up helped eliminate a lot of the fatigue.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I put superfeet insoles in the hiking boots. I spend a lot of time at the lake in the summer wearing flip flips so my arches get destroyed; I wouldn't be hiking if it wasn't for insoles.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
On a related note: Any tricks for avoiding sore feet? The balls of my feet tend to get pretty painful when backpacking - just an ache, almost like they're bruised. I'm currently backpacking in waterproof Merrell Moabs with orange superfeet inserts. They're the best I've found so far, but still not perfect.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:47:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On a related note: Any tricks for avoiding sore feet? The balls of my feet tend to get pretty painful when backpacking - just an ache, almost like they're bruised. I'm currently backpacking in waterproof Merrell Moabs with orange superfeet inserts. They're the best I've found so far, but still not perfect.
View Quote

Sore or fatigued?  We did almost a 100 mile section last year; we planned about 130, but had to get off due to a pretty severe storm coming in.  I wore my Vivobarefoot Barefoot Hikers.  I love how they wear and the "feel" and stability they give me on the trail...but they suck when pounding for 7-8 hours on a trail for several days in a row.  My feet were getting really fatigued and sensitive.

We finished the last 35-40 miles and I wore a pair of Salomon shoes that had more between my feet and the ground.  I didn't get that stable, close to the ground feel, but my feet were singing to me all day.  As to fighting sore feet, you may just have to play around with some different soles.  My wife uses Burt's Bees peppermint foot lotion every night on her feet (yeah, I keep telling her about bear bait ) and she can rock 15-17 miles a day just fine.  Body weight can be something to look at as well.  Not saying you're fat, but between what you carry on your body and in your pack can really add up and the pounding make a difference.  Shoe width is another consideration; allowing your feet a natural "spread" with a wider toe box will provide more surface area to displace the packed weight.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I put superfeet insoles in the hiking boots. I spend a lot of time at the lake in the summer wearing flip flips so my arches get destroyed; I wouldn't be hiking if it wasn't for insoles.
View Quote

All of my workboots get superfeet. They are so worth it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#7]
The two things that helped me enjoy backpacking the most are lightening the pack, and hiking in trail running shoes.  I get pes anserine bursitis hiking in boots, but not in sneakers.  Right now my favorite shoe is the Altra Lone Peak 3.0, love the shape of the toe box.  Outside of winter, lightweight footwear is highly recommended.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#8]
-Thick wool socks.

Heavy wool socks with the highest merino wool content as budget or availability will allow.

Even in warm weather if I am carrying a pack with more then 25# I wear my Meindl backpackers or denali's which have a pretty stiff sole, with thick wool socks.

Little or no weight I like to wear a normalish breathable hiker that fits well, with average merino wool socks.

& aometimes sandals.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Superfeet Carbon insoles in my Fugitives, and in my Keens (Koven Polar and Voyageur) I use Red Sole footbeds. I *think* my Sorel Conquests have the thicker blue Sole footbeds. The Soles are a little more comfy than the Superfeet for me, I may try a pair in my Fugitives as well. There's not a lot of room in those, though; the Superfeet are thinner than the Soles.

Anyway, I recommend trying different insoles to find the best ones for your feet, if you buy them from REI you have a year to return them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm thinking I didn't understand the question. Are we talking about soles or insoles here?

soles:

insoles:

It used to actually be a thing where people would change out the soles of their shoes to repair them, get more tread, etc. Its not common anymore.

FWIW, I have had plantar fasciitis bad in the past so I use Powerstep brand insoles (pictured above). They are similar to superfeet insoles in that they are fairly rigid - I just happen to like them better than superfeet. They make one with padding in the heel that I use when hiking that helps with my heel spurs. Like superfeet insoles, it may take a day or two for your feet to get used to them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#11]
LoL I meant the latter one.  

Why you gotta be so insolent?  
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:22:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I put Superfeet in everything but running shoes. I probably have 6-7 pairs, and a variety of styles.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you use a different set of soles for your hiking boots than what the manufacturer has given?
Any thoughts?
View Quote

Hell yes I use after market insoles for my 60 yr old blow out arches.... My keeping telling my 2) 21 yo boys (twins) -> start using insoles now and prevent the problem to start with!

After trying many many different insoles with disregard for price I settled on this combination as the best. This 100% pain free for me.
Walkfit Platium and Spenco Flat Insoles

Order WalkFit in one size up and down to find the best fit. I buy them on Ebay for 1/2 price of Amazon.

I use this setup in all and my boots and the WalkFits alone in running shoes, etc. The gray pad under the arch comes in 3 sizes, Low - Med - High for a custom fit. The whole insole flexs down when you walk giving you a little spring.

Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:10:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I really like superfeet insoles, but I have trouble fitting them to some shoes which don't have flat foot beds (Salomon is a good example). 

I bought a pair of "SOLE" insoles and really like them.   They're heat moldable and the bottoms (particularly below the arch) isn't flat allowing them to fit more shoes. 

Amazon Product
  • Insulated and optimal for cold weather features a layer of 3M thinsulate 400gram insulation
  • Low cushioning 16mm layer of proprietary Softec opencell cushioning, the minimum cushioning layer available
  • Mid volume medium thickness footbeds foremost footwear

Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I drop superfeet into mine and have been for 15 years now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#16]
When you say "thin sole" you mean the outsoles. This is a weight saver vs durability.  Less weight is an advantage to endurance... up to a point.

The midsole (which you cannot change out) and insole (which you can) are going to control your impact and support (along with shank length and stiffness).
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LoL I meant the latter one.  

Why you gotta be so insolent?  
View Quote

This thread is just a sole-baring experience ain't it?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I used Merrel Moabs for a while. Then tried a bunch of other boots, and insoles.

Finally got wise, lowered my base weight and went with trail runners.

I highly suggest trying a pair. My knees and ankles have never been happier!

Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I used Merrel Moabs for a while. Then tried a bunch of other boots, and insoles.

Finally got wise, lowered my base weight and went with trail runners.

I highly suggest trying a pair. My knees and ankles have never been happier!

http://i.imgur.com/R9pH3bB.jpg
View Quote

Lowering my weight, although I'm not that heavy) is one of the hardest challenges for me for some reason.  I need boots for the ankle support more than anything, as mine are shot and I'm hiking with bone spurs I can't afford to take out.

I saw an ancient-looking guy hiking on the mountain a couple weeks ago wearing nothing but a couple bandaids on his feet.  This was really rocky terrain, too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lowering my weight, although I'm not that heavy) is one of the hardest challenges for me for some reason.  I need boots for the ankle support more than anything, as mine are shot and I'm hiking with bone spurs I can't afford to take out.

I saw an ancient-looking guy hiking on the mountain a couple weeks ago wearing nothing but a couple bandaids on his feet.  This was really rocky terrain, too.
View Quote

Would you mind listing your gear so we can get an idea of what kind of weight you're carrying?

Also, they make mid-top trail runners! I just found these today and am trying to find some where in town that carries them.

Inov-8 Roclite 325 GTX

Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Osprey Kestrel 38                                                           - 3.17 lb
Military Modular Sleeping Bag - Heavy Bag                   - 4 lb
Military Modular Sleeping Bag - Medium Bag                - 2 lb
Marmot Limelight 2p Tent                                              - 5.8 lb
Optimus Terra Weekend HE pot and lid                      9.7oz
Generic Ultralight Camping Stove                             4.8 oz

One extra set of clothes, including rain jacket, bacalava, toboggan
Food - Sometimes canned.

I've technically not done pure backpacking yet, just a lot of day hikes.  I've found I can make it about 5mi without the bone spurs hurting too much.  I would say 8-9mi has been my limit for a day.
Everything over here in the Smokies is uphill and has a mix of dirt, sharp rock, smooth rock, mud, and water.  But mostly everything is uphill.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Drop the military bags. They are heavy.
I just got my kid  a 40f rated Slumber jack.
2lbs with all the sacks..and mesh sack..Drive down 69$ off woot.
My 20f down Kelty is 2lbs as well.

Plus you save in bulk. Which means lighter packs (aka smaller packs).

What gets me is the knick nack..redundant. shit.

I need two of this..or that..never know have to signal a plane type mentality lol 
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I have been using replacement insoles for 30+ years. Best ones I have found. Is Sole brand!

I have done many hikes in the military with full ruck and a 240G on my back with Sole brand insoles. I did not use them for about 4 years during that time I got foot problems called planters fasciitis.

Taken me two years to not have to worry about falling on my face when I first wake up. Not saying sole is best for everyone! Need to pick what feels right for you!

Foot problems suck!  Planters fasciitis sucks so bad!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top