Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2017 12:38:36 PM EDT
It's been 18 years since I was in the BWCA. I was only in charge of part of the planning, so I'm looking for a place that can set me straight and have a place to stay the night before we shove off and when we're done.

I'm looking to get things set up soon so that I can guarantee my permit covers the time off I'm hoping for. I've read that the permits open up in the third week of January.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I got one recommendation for Hungry Jack's up there which is right in the area I'd like to be. I'll probably go with them unless there's any reasons anyone has not to.

Still feel free to share your recommendations, but no worries since I've probably got it covered.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Gunflint Lodge.

Great place with great people.

We went there for a weekend trip set up by a local outfitter.

4 couples in 2 cabins Thursday afternoon through Sunday morning.

They were called Super Cabins then, brand new, 20 years ago.

We planned it for our 25th anniversary. 45th this summer. We had a great time.

We also used brand new Kevlar canoes. Mad River Destiny.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I live just outside Duluth. I can't make any recommendation about outfitters but if you get jammed up, give me a ring. I Moose hunted the BWCA back in 2000. The Feds are a continuous source of headache to say the least.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:17:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies guys. Can't wait to get there. Can't wait to get back on the water in general.

I'm not planning on getting jammed up by a ranger but you never know. We were debating taking my 5 year old, which would put us over the listed capacity of one of the canoes, but we decided she'll stay with her little sister and grandma instead this time. Not that the capacity was what held us back, heck, sometimes we're over by a couple kids (big family).
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Sawbill Canoe Outfitters have been Family Friends since my dad was in college,  and he's is 82 now.

http://www.sawbill.com/
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live just outside Duluth. I can't make any recommendation about outfitters but if you get jammed up, give me a ring. I Moose hunted the BWCA back in 2000. The Feds are a continuous source of headache to say the least.
View Quote

Without those Feds the BWCA would not exist.  It would be all roads, logged over and lake houses.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:57:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up going a different path. The outfitter/lodge route was the only way we've done it in the past where we stayed at a lodge the night before shoving off and then taking out. But looking at the rates of the lodges and outfitters (at least the ones I looked at, just one night stay was going to be too much. And, if I didn't spend enough with them, which I wasn't going to be a big spender anyway, they wouldn't do business with me.

So here's the new plan. I'm going to reserve a camp ground in Grand Marais the night we drive up and just camp light so we're not unpacking a bunch. Then the next morning, we'll drive over to the ranger station and pick up our permit (which I just booked yesterday) and maps. Then we'll drive the rest of the way to a public access parking lot where we can park and shove off from. We'll stay at the same camp ground the night we take from the BWCA too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:14:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sawbill Canoe Outfitters have been Family Friends since my dad was in college,  and he's is 82 now.

http://www.sawbill.com/
View Quote

Seconded. Don't know the owners, but Sawbill has been very good to me on two separate occasions.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:14:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Dupe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top