Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2017 12:54:11 AM EDT
My brothers and I are planning a backpacking trip to Colorado this summer.  We'll have two boys age 8 and 10 with us so we don't want anything TOO strenuous.  One of my brothers and I did a trip into the Weminuche Wilderness up onto the Continental Divide a number of years ago and, while we loved it, it was pretty strenuous for young boys.  So, we would like to find an area that has moderate hiking with streams and lakes.  Looking at about 4 days/nights of backpacking and camping.

Would love a hike that goes in a loop but that's not an absolute requirement.  

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:20:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Rocky Mtn Nat. Park?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:31:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Never been, but this guy has.  

Rocky Mountain National Park (Colorado) Backpacking - Grand Lake CDT Loop - September 2016

Holy Cross Wilderness (Colorado) Backpacking - August 2016

Four Pass Loop Backpacking - Maroon Bells (Colorado) - July 2015
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:08:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Garden of the Gods near Colorado Springs
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:15:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Does it have to be CO?

If you are coming from the east, don't overlook the Bighorns in WY.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#5]
@Lothbrok lives there, and is an avid hiker.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Lothbrok lives there, and is an avid hiker.
View Quote

That mention system sure is neat.

Given the requirements in the OP, you want to do Four Pass Loop.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]
^^^^ I dare say Lothbrok has seen more of Colorado than most Coloradans.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#8]
 I think I've watched just about all of his videos.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Section hike the CDT or Colorado trail
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#10]
That 4 Pass Loop looks like it has potential.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:55:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been researching the 4 pass loop and only negative for me is I really prefer as few people as possible and it looks like that route might be pretty crowded sometimes.  Still looks awesome though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:16:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've been researching the 4 pass loop and only negative for me is I really prefer as few people as possible and it looks like that route might be pretty crowded sometimes.  Still looks awesome though.
View Quote

Welcome to the CO of 2016.

If you want easy enough trails for young boys, 4 days, etc. you're going to have to deal with some crowds.

Anything in the state that isn't busy any longer is solely due to technical challenges or being so far out into the wilderness that you have to earn it via strenuous activity.

On my walk of the Four Pass Loop, I ran into relatively few people. Being off the beaten Front Range path really helps.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:56:07 AM EDT
[#13]
When is the best time to hike the 4 Pass Loop? I think that's the route we are gonna do. It will be a weekday hike...probably Tuesday through Friday. Might do a short hike Monday to get started and to start acclimating to the altitude.

Leaning towards Sept but might be in July. Still working out dates that work for everyone.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
July is gonna be a little hot and it's the height of afternoon monsoon season. You'll want to be done hiking (or back in the cover of treeline) in the early afternoon.

September would be a little better if you can swing it. Less volatile weather, cooler temps, the works. You're mostly past the monsoon season.

Also, if our snow keeps coming in as hard as it has been, we could see snow in the high country well into July.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Weminuch is rough outside of the Chicago Basin.

Gore Range Trail to Piney would be less rough, but still pretty dang rough in areas.

Consider Hunter-Fryingpan or Lost Creek wilderness areas.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Think we are going to do the Ute Creek semi loop in the Weminuche Wilderness.  Looking like Sept.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I am just starting to look at dinosaur national monument. If the boys are into dinos then it could be a real hit
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Consider Lost Creek Wilderness
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:55:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm not about to admit how much time I wasted last night watching these, I sure am a lazy fuck , but he had a couple videos of places I've been looking into going to and found some others as well. Thanks for posting these! I never would've found them otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#20]
We took the Durango Silverton train and got dropped off in between, and backpacked from there. Lots of people in the area, so not really isolated but not close to bail if you need to.  Can hike out or take the train out.

Been forever since I hiked the area, so no idea if they still do the setup like this.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I did the 4 pass loop in August. It was a great hike but I'm not sure I'd take an 8 and 10 year old unless they were used to that terrain and altitude.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I did the 4 pass loop in August. It was a great hike but I'm not sure I'd take an 8 and 10 year old unless they were used to that terrain and altitude.
View Quote
I appreciate the input.

I agree with you so we have decided on a different hike in the Weminuche wilderness. More options so we can pick easier routes if the boys are struggling and harder routes if they need a challenge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top