Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2016 11:01:05 PM EDT
I'm going to Philmont this summer with the scouts and need a lightweight 30 degree bag.  I have a super lightweight liner that I can use to make it warmer if I need it.  I want a square/rectangle type bag as I absolutely cannot sleep in mummy bags where I can't move my legs.  I got the Jimmy leg...lol.  Anyway, any links or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  i will need to get 2 - one for my son and one for me so any deals would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a semi lightweight synthetic fill rectangular bag made by North Face. Got it for about $40 off of REI outlet. I got it because I like to also move my legs out while I sleep.

With that being said, I just picked up a Klymit 20° down bag which is a mummy style. It is light and warm, but the best thing about it is it can stretch. I can get one leg straight and the other 90° out. The bag doesn't get tight, it just stretches. It's a wild experience, because none of my other mummy bags work that way. It's going to be my new go to bag, and for $140 bucks, it was a great deal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Brother in law bought a couple of These geertops and loved them for camping with his son for a trip we went on last month
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Big Agnes.  You put your sleeping pad in as the back insulation, and that allows them to make the bag uber roomy.  You dont make the bag roll with you like a regular mummy, you move inside it!  At 6' and 270-300 that likes to sleep in odd positions... I am comfy in them.

Gun Creek 30
or
Buffalo Park 40

If you want to spring, montbell flex bags are awesome too, that is what I went with when I decided to drop some more wieght.  They are mummy in shape, but stretch to whatever position you like!
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
You need to get a quilt - super light and less confining than any bag.    Look at Enlightened Equipment or Loco Libre. 
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#5]
When are you going?  I'll be there in middle to end of June this summer.  Last went in 1988.  I'm looking forward to it again.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When are you going?  I'll be there in middle to end of June this summer.  Last went in 1988.  I'm looking forward to it again.
View Quote

Mid July.  I'm looking forward to it!!  I've never been so it will be a first.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:50:37 AM EDT
[#7]
It's awesome.  I'm going back with my 15 yo...and then look forward to going back yet again with my youngest.  It's a trip that is worth it.  I can't recommend it enough.  And I get to go back....I'm so hyped..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top