BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:31:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Going tent camping in the Texas hill country this weekend. Trying to prep the lady for this and make sure she is somewhat comfortable so my life will be easier.

It's supposed to get down to 27F Saturday night. I've got a new Columbia 6 person tent for us two and the dog.
View Quote

Your tent is too big, you're wasting body heat. 27° with two people and a dog? You'll be fine with a quality tent, sleeping pads and bags. Bring a blanket to put on top of your sleeping bags for the dog, claws murder thin nylon.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You know, I've always wanted to bring a potato along in aluminum foil, heat it up by the fire, and just use it as a heat source in my tent/bag.  I'd probably eat it in my sleep though lol.
View Quote

I've always wanted to get eaten by a bear while sleeping too
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#3]
You really need 0 degree rated bags to be warm and cozy.  Bag ratings are horribly inaccurate, if a bag says 30 degree rated you will probably be comfortable for 50-60 degree weather.  I'd buy a propane buddy heater or get different bags.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You really need 0 degree rated bags to be warm and cozy.  Bag ratings are horribly inaccurate, if a bag says 30 degree rated you will probably be comfortable for 50-60 degree weather.  I'd buy a propane buddy heater or get different bags.
View Quote

Wut? You either sleep really cold, or need to buy higher quality bags. Do you have a specific make/model of sleeping bag with a rating that's 20-30 degrees off?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Google and youtube "hot tent camping"
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:12:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, you guys aren't letting this thread die, lol. My December 16 camping trip went great. It got down to 20 with 25 mph winds and we stayed warm. Our 30F rated bags, air mattress, blankets, and dog all kept us warm. The next morning getting up was brutal though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The trick to keeping warm is "fluff" the more fluffier the more warmth, it really is that simple.
Trap air and stay warm.
That is why sleep matts that keep loft and doesn't compress the "fluff" work the best.

Look at the market....all the outdoor company's want you to believe that they came up with a material
that will trap more air in a thinner material than anybody else. Some are more efficient than others, but
the fact is...fluffy rules.
View Quote

Its all about that surface area. More fluff, more surface area.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You know, I've always wanted to bring a potato along in aluminum foil, heat it up by the fire, and just use it as a heat source in my tent/bag.  I'd probably eat it in my sleep though lol.
View Quote
Pretty sure hot water in a Nalgene or steel bottle would be much better as the density and heat capacity of pure water in a bottle is many times greater. I mean if you just wanna sleep with a potato, that's cool though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've used the propane "Big Buddy" in tents for a couple decades for our winter camps. Still alive. Keeps you toasty and warm.
View Quote

Same here. There are 2 sizes, and safe.
Big Buddy
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wow, you guys aren't letting this thread die, lol. My December 16 camping trip went great. It got down to 20 with 25 mph winds and we stayed warm. Our 30F rated bags, air mattress, blankets, and dog all kept us warm. The next morning getting up was brutal though.
View Quote

My goal is to keep this thread alive until summer when someone will stumble on it and then make some derpy post about Texans getting cold too easy
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I just found the thread so I'll help keep it alive.

I've winter camped on lakes down to around -45 without a heat source in the tent.  High quality sleeping bags, thermal underwear, hats, and ground pads make it do-able but still cold.  I've used both Western Mountaineering (down) and Wiggy's (synthetic) -40 bags.  At those temps they keep you alive and you get a little bit of sleep but it's not really all that comfortable.  The WM bag was warmer than the Wiggy's but it was an 'overstuffed' -40.

After some trips without heat I then got a catalytic propane heater.  We were so freaking excited to actually be warm that night.  It didn't work out as planned (duh - small propane tanks don't work at that temp.  The rubber stopper wouldn't seal and it was squirting propane - fun times!).  There was much disappointment from my wife.

Finally I got a Kifaru with a fourdog stove.  Winter camping in style!

Kifaru

Four Dog

Before setting up the tent I'll use the ice auger to run a few holes into the ice but not down into the lake.  This lets the water from the ice-melt inside the tent drain into the holes.  After a couple days I then have to use the coffee pot to empty the drain holes from the melt.

The main things I've learned are to spend money on expensive gear and stay dry.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Stop by a Lowes or Home Depot or your local hardware/home improvement store and find a roll of Reflectix. It comes in different widths so find one that fits your mattress or roll out two lengths to run side by side and cut the length to fit your mattress. It's just bubble wrap with Mylar layers on the outside. It insulates really well and I've used it in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan several times. It'll reflect your body heat back on you and keep the cold from coming through your sleep pad. Roll it out between the air mattress and sleep pad and maybe a second layer under your sleeping bag. It doesn't weigh hardly anything I carry a roll in my back pack to use while hiking. A fleece sleeping bag liner will give you an additional 10 degrees to your sleeping bag is rated for. That and a wool blanket or two should keep you and your girl comfortable.

My last trip to the U.P. was mid October we did a hot tent for five days four nights. My sleep setup was a cot, reflectix layer, surplus wool blanket wrapped around a sleeping bag with a fleece liner, another fleece blanket on top of the bag and another 100% wool surplus hospital blanket on top. The sleeping bag was just a regular camping bag probably rated for 30+ degrees. The temps at night were lower twenties and the wood stove burned out after a couple hours each night. I never got cold in my sleep set up.

Have fun.
View Quote
Your set up sounds similar to mine.  I've left hammocking to go back to the ground, but I've brought one facet of hammock to my cot/tent setup.  Cot in tent, torso length section of reflectix on cot, surplus Army foam pad on reflectix, thin camp towel on Army pad (to absorb any sweat that might condense there), next is my body (thin fleece jammies...or thicker fleece and cap...depends on temps), thin, homemade fleece overquilt with a sew in and insulated foot box and last (and most important) down bag draped over in overquilt fashion....it's footbox over the fleece bags foot box.  

I sleep like a baby down to 25 using 30 degree down bag (overquilt).  I've noticed if i use a down mummy bag like this it keeps me warmer than wearing it normal fashion. I'm guessing it's because the extra loft is pooled around  the edges and top.  Plus, the short cot keeps me off rocks/roots and the reflectix/army pad combo insulates my back.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Hand warmers

I bring a couple of these when I'm camping and if it gets really cold, I open one and throw it in my sleeping back.  Keeps me toasty all night long.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Off the ground

Insulating layers

Stay dry

Youll make it
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:06:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hand warmers

I bring a couple of these when I'm camping and if it gets really cold, I open one and throw it in my sleeping back.  Keeps me toasty all night long.
View Quote
yeah they're cheap insurance for a warm night. 
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top