Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2016 8:58:15 PM EDT
Going tent camping in the Texas hill country this weekend. Trying to prep the lady for this and make sure she is somewhat comfortable so my life will be easier.

It's supposed to get down to 27F Saturday night. I've got a new Columbia 6 person tent for us two and the dog. A queen size blowup mattress, 30 degree rated sleeping bags and plenty of blankets. I'm don't think I want to use my Coleman propane heater in the tent for carbon monoxide reasons, obviously. I do have a small ceramic space heater I could run off my inventer for a little while.

Just looking for tips and tricks. I've never tent camped in below freezing weather before. We can build a fire obviously but I'm not sure that's going to do anything for us in the tent.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Going tent camping in the Texas hill country this weekend. Trying to prep the lady for this and make sure she is somewhat comfortable so my life will be easier.

It's supposed to get down to 27F Saturday night. I've got a new Columbia 6 person tent for us two and the dog. A queen size blowup mattress, 30 degree rated sleeping bags and plenty of blankets. I'm don't think I want to use my Coleman propane heater in the tent for carbon monoxide reasons, obviously. I do have a small ceramic space heater I could run off my inventer for a little while.

Just looking for tips and tricks. I've never tent camped in below freezing weather before. We can build a fire obviously but I'm not sure that's going to do anything for us in the tent.
View Quote

You're off the ground.  Check.
Questionable bags but supplemented with plenty of blankets.  Check.
Mobile dog heater.  Check.

Hats in bed may not be obvious, but they help a lot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Years ago I bought a catalytic heater from Cabelas. It threads onto a one pound propane bottle and runs for about eight hours. It says it is safe to use in tents, because there is no open flame, although I leave some windows partially unzipped for ventilation. We used 2 of them in a 6 or 8 person dome tent while camping and hunting at just under ten thousand feet here in Nevada when it was effen cold outside and it was comfortable in the tent.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I always use a sheet in between my body and blankets too.  Depending on your bag size, buy one big enough to fold in half for use on top and bottom.

Makes it feel just like your bed and it's another layer.  Bring pillows and some big fuzzy socks for her.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure if you plan on doing or if you can,  but zip the sleeping bags together, it can often be done if they are identical sleeping bags so you have one big sleeping bag to share.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#5]
We use an electric blanket 
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Foam pad over air mattress, below sleeping bag. The big air chamber in the air mattress affords little insulation value, but saves your back.  :)
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Stay in it?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Stay hydrated. When I've camped out when it was below 10F, being hydrated meant the difference between freezing all night or sleeping warm and snug.

I didn't realize how much it made a difference, but it does.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Ive been there!  My wife brings bad weather whenever we go camping.. I think only once was it nice LOL.  The rest had wind, sub freezing temps, random snow showers that were not in the forecast and what not haha!!

You need insulation between the air mattress and your sleeping bags.  foam pad, or in a pinch a moving blanket works great.

Your 30 degree sleeping bags are not going to be comfortable at 30 or lower.. bring extra blankets, fleece blankets are good in this situation.  put them over the top and inside.. zip the bags together as well.  It is easier to cool off from too much than it is to warm up because you have too little.

boil some water, and fill a nalgene or two with it, put socks over the bottle to buffer the heat and enjoy.  It will stay hot-warm for 4-5 hours.  Your wife can snuggle with it, or if really cold, put it between the legs next to her arteries and it will warm the blood.

beanies for the head, gloves for the hands.

Lots of soups, hot coco, hot coffee

Dont underestimate the amount of firewood you will need.

Did I mention blankets?!  

Heaters(radiant especially) are great for sitting in front of as well, so bring what you got for sure.

Dont hold the pee in either.. it takes energy to warm it and can chill you, so pee when you gotta pee.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#11]
BWCA trick - heat a rock by the fire - wrap in a towel and put by your feet in the bag - sleep with a hat on
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#12]
sleep in the truck.
seriously it is about staying dry. make sure you have something between floor of tent and sleeping bag.
get sleeping bag rated for whatever temperature you might encounter.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:33:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Make sure you have some ventilation as well. Your breath will form condensation on the inside of the tent, with the you two and the dogs it will be a bit. At a minimum it will rain in your tent. Worst case you now have ice on your sleeping bags and blakents making it worse. I sleep in a tent cot two weeks a month due to work. In all sorts of weather. Even in 30 degrees with the wind I have an opening to prevent condensation,
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

With even okay bags you'll be fine in those temps. I'm hunting in NM this weekend at 8k feet and it's gonna be 4* this weekend. I use a surplus green and black sleeping bag system and a sleeping pad under me. With those I'm comfortable all night. Crawling out in the morning is another story.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:11:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

With even okay bags you'll be fine in those temps. I'm hunting in NM this weekend at 8k feet and it's gonna be 4* this weekend. I use a surplus green and black sleeping bag system and a sleeping pad under me. With those I'm comfortable all night. Crawling out in the morning is another story.
View Quote

He will LOL.. wife on the other hand.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#16]
You'll be much warmer with an actual insulating pad such as a Thermarest (foam or inflatable) than with a plain Coleman air mattress.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:02:45 AM EDT
[#17]
A queen size blowup mattress,
View Quote

Insulate yourself very well from the mattress. You've created a reservoir of potentially cold air to make nighttime miserable.

Also:  DO NOT wear the clothes you have been sweating in all day long! This will ensure your misery.  Wear a warmup outfit, top and bottom, to keep warm. Make sure they are dry, dry, dry... and clean. And have a blanket or towel over your faces in the sleeping bag for warmth, making sure you have a channel to let fresh air in.

As an emergency resort, have Mylar space blankets to wrap up in; or a poncho will help, too. I learned about this when camping with Boy Scouts, with a cheap bag. I wrapped a poncho on the outside of the bag and was toasty warm.

If you stay out longer than one night, then in the AM, turn the bags inside out and let them air out, getting the moisture out of them. Hang them on a line if possible.

Finally: Everyone poops. Bring several poop kits along, each one consisting of a generous wad of TP and a couple of individually-wrapped Tux cleansing wipes. Use one for your butt and the other for your fingers. Bury the poops and pack out the paper for disposal at home: TP takes years to deteriorate into the environment, even the kind designed to "melt" in a septic tank.

eta

"How to Shit in the Woods" is a real book. Written by a woman largely for women, it's an essential guide to attending to nature's most basic need (if you aren't the Pope). Your wife will love you for it!
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Air mattresses are cold. Bring foam to out on it.
If you are glamping and have electric hookup just bring an electric blanket.
Wear a hat
Lots of blankets.
Bring sweats to wear to bed
Bring a pee bottle for you. Wife is SOL.
Eat a BIG dinner. It's like putting a furnace in your belly. I once went camping in NY in late fall and slept with my bag unzipped most of the night cause I ate about 20 oz of steak and a few potatoes with a six pack of brats for appetizers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Lots of good replies. Thanks guys.

I definitely plan on using a thick blanket on top of the air matttress, then our sleeping bags on top of it.

No electric hook ups where we are going but I do have a power inventer that will blow up the air mattress plugged into my truck. It's 400 RMS / 800 max watts. Wonder if it would handle this little ceramic heater I have?

I know I'll be fine. I've been hunting and camping in sub freezing temps before. I actually don't mind as long as it's not snowing or sleeting. It's supposed to be freaking 78 for the high and 27 at night! Gotta love Texas. There will be wind and that I'm a little concerned about. Especially with cooking and the fire.

I'm honestly just as concerned about keeping the dog warm as I am the lady. I've got a 2 year old lab/pit mix and he's a big baby. He's been getting under the covers at night to sleep. But he puts off some serious heat. I think I'll put him in my sleeping bag.

We are going with 2 other couples. My fiancé is an outdoorsy type girl. The other 2 are not! this is going to be interesting, haha.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Hair driers pull 1800 watts or so when on high. small space heaters aren't much less.
Don't kill your inverter.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Trim the pups nails before you go camping. Otherwise you might be sleeping on the ground by morning.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I definitely plan on using a thick blanket on top of the air matttress, then our sleeping bags on top of it.

No electric hook ups where we are going but I do have a power inventer that will blow up the air mattress plugged into my truck. It's 400 RMS / 800 max watts. Wonder if it would handle this little ceramic heater I have?

I know I'll be fine. I've been hunting and camping in sub freezing temps before. I actually don't mind as long as it's not snowing or sleeting. It's supposed to be freaking 78 for the high and 27 at night! Gotta love Texas. There will be wind and that I'm a little concerned about. Especially with cooking and the fire.

I'm honestly just as concerned about keeping the dog warm as I am the lady. I've got a 2 year old lab/pit mix and he's a big baby. He's been getting under the covers at night to sleep. But he puts off some serious heat. I think I'll put him in my sleeping bag.

We are going with 2 other couples. My fiancé is an outdoorsy type girl. The other 2 are not! this is going to be interesting, haha.
View Quote

No. The power consumed by the heater will deplete your car battery.
If you are going into the wild areas with no other vehicles to jump start you, bring a jump start device.

These have saved my butt several times.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Use hammocks. 

I can sleep super warm in mine thanks to my down under/top quilts. So warm that I usually end up stripping layers even in the teens.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No. The power consumed by the heater will deplete your car battery.
If you are going into the wild areas with no other vehicles to jump start you, bring a jump start device.

http://www.ragingspeed.com/UK/images/3505135-Jump-Start.jpg

These have saved my butt several times.
View Quote

I'll have 1 other truck with me that could jump off if that happened. What if I turned the truck on and ran the inverter to the heater for 30 mins or so? Just to warm the tent up some.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I freeze when I camp.  Two things make me miserable - frozen toes, and being too warm in the bag compared to the air temp on my face I am breathing.

I make sure I put a blanket down over an air mattress as the air under you gets COLD.  I also use a fleece sleeping bag liner ($15 amazon), inside a normal zero-to20 degree bag.  

If its REALLY bad (significant sub freezing) use a catalytic ceramic tent heater on a propane bottle to raise the temp a little inside the tent.

The only negative of a tent heater, is that they can increase condensation collection on the tent wall.  You have to take care not to be touching the walls.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:59:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Stop by a Lowes or Home Depot or your local hardware/home improvement store and find a roll of Reflectix. It comes in different widths so find one that fits your mattress or roll out two lengths to run side by side and cut the length to fit your mattress. It's just bubble wrap with Mylar layers on the outside. It insulates really well and I've used it in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan several times. It'll reflect your body heat back on you and keep the cold from coming through your sleep pad. Roll it out between the air mattress and sleep pad and maybe a second layer under your sleeping bag. It doesn't weigh hardly anything I carry a roll in my back pack to use while hiking. A fleece sleeping bag liner will give you an additional 10 degrees to your sleeping bag is rated for. That and a wool blanket or two should keep you and your girl comfortable.

My last trip to the U.P. was mid October we did a hot tent for five days four nights. My sleep setup was a cot, reflectix layer, surplus wool blanket wrapped around a sleeping bag with a fleece liner, another fleece blanket on top of the bag and another 100% wool surplus hospital blanket on top. The sleeping bag was just a regular camping bag probably rated for 30+ degrees. The temps at night were lower twenties and the wood stove burned out after a couple hours each night. I never got cold in my sleep set up.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Stay hydrated. When I've camped out when it was below 10F, being hydrated meant the difference between freezing all night or sleeping warm and snug.

YMMV
View Quote

Maintaining adequate hydration will also keep your fingers and toes from being easily affected by the cold. Like the man said, it works.

OP get yourself a box or two of the Hot Hands Heat Packs from WalMart and toss a couple of 10 hour ones in your 30 degree bags, you will be very comfortable. You can stay heated easily by situating a medium sized one on the small of your back or over your kidneys, letting the copius amount of blood flow carry the heat all over your body. A belly band and a heat back placed this way works wonders when outdoors and unable to move much.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I've used the propane "Big Buddy" in tents for a couple decades for our winter camps. Still alive. Keeps you toasty and warm.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:37:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Another recommendation on using Hot Hands Body Warmers in your sleeping bag.  If you feel a cold spot, place one of the body packs there.  I'll wear two pairs of socks, and place a hand warmer in between the pair.  If I have a shirt pocket, I'll put on in there, too.

Edited to add:  when we'd take our dog with us, we'd leave the tent unzipped so could come and go as she pleased.  She was well behaved, and didn't travel far from the campsite.  She was a husky/ gsd mix, so she was comfortable with a wool blanket laying next to us.  She would even forget she's no longer a puppy and lay on top of me.  One time I awoke to pee, and I couldn't move my legs.  Turned out she was laying across them!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:41:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Good sleeping bags will keep you warm. If you want to warm the tent up before you get out then fire up the heater. I use a small tent and I've used an oil lamp to raise the temp a few degrees in the morning.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Before pitching the tent, put down pine boughs. Better yet, snag a mini straw bale and spread it out before pitching the tent.
The ground sucks heat, and every bit of insulation helps.

Rocks from the fire wrapped in clean foil, and placed in the tent  make for radiant heaters.
Mind the wind, and set up on the lee side of the truck or some sort of wind break.
Propane lanterns will heat a tent nicely. They also melt holes in nylon real easy. Use a lantern box in the tent.
Take a couple poncho liners as secondary bag liners/ hoods. It's a sin to be camping without a poncho liner anyhow.

Have fun!!

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:52:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your inverter will not run a heater, period.  Don't even try it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'll have 1 other truck with me that could jump off if that happened. What if I turned the truck on and ran the inverter to the heater for 30 mins or so? Just to warm the tent up some.
View Quote

A tent will hold that heat for about .5 seconds. Nylon is not an insulator.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#34]
6 person tent is too big. Way too much volume for what little heat you, the wife, and dog may generate.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#35]
The air mattress will feel cold like the ground.  Put a sliver space blanket down, on the tent floor then your mattress. Blanket on the mattress. Sleeping bags on top.
Hopefully your sleeping bags zip together. You'll stay warmer cuddled up together than in solo bags.
My wife an I have two REI FatCat bags that zip together to make one. They're rated for 20F and we stay very warm.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

YMMV
View Quote
On that note, a pee bottle or two INSIDE the tent will prevent the long walk to the tree line for a squat.

Get an adapter for the lady too.

Cover the mattress with a thick blanket to keep dog claws from puncturing it.

A little sugar with the fluids to keep some in the blood stream helps keep warm too.

This kind of makes me wonder why there isn't a radiator-type heat pipe that can be placed on a heater outside (where CO won't hurt anything) with a radiator inside.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Or select a camping spot that has "Ramada Inn" on out front.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Boiling water in a Nalgene bottle (inside a sock or stuff sack to avoid scalds) pumps out a lot of heat for hours inside a sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Kidding, you have the basics, get off the ground, lots of layers and some warm blooded creatures to lay against, you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Boiling water in a Nalgene bottle (inside a sock or stuff sack to avoid scalds) pumps out a lot of heat for hours inside a sleeping bag.
View Quote

Man this is a MAJOR help.   I have made it through some damn cold nights with that trick.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#41]
As someone else said - consider a smaller tent. It will stay warmer.

I buy wool blankets at thrift stores and bring a pile when we camp in cooler weather. When we camp one goes on the bottom under the air mattress, another on top of the mattress, and another on top of the zipped together sleeping bags. My wife and I stay toasty warm even below freezing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Let us know how your trip went!
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Well I survived. It was a great trip actually. Friday night was great. Saturday it got up to 77 degrees. We did some hiking (pretty rough terrain) in the hill country. The dogs loved it too. We did run into a startled lone hiker that just had a mountain lion cross his path. The park rangers said they've had a few reported sightings lately and it's getting closer to the camp site areas. Which made for interesting stories later that night in the dark. I enjoy scaring the lady a bit.

So night time fell and I'm still waiting for this front. About 6:30pm, I could hear the wind coming. As Forrest Gump would say, "And then God showed up". 30 mph gusts and the temp dropped to 30 by 9:00pm! Had some whiskey and sat by the fire till about 10:00. Changed socks before bed, used hand and feet warmers, and layered with sleeping bags and wool blankets. It was windy as hell all night but we managed just fine. The dog got in my sleeping bag and wrapped himself around my legs. Best heater ever!

Boy was the morning rough though, getting up. It was 20 degrees at 7:30am. We packed up quickly and got out. Overall, great trip at Colorado Bend State Park. Very primitive. Compost toilet only and no showers. It was warm enough on Saturday to use my Rinse Kit to clean up though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:34:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Bought this Coleman propane heater. Called the blackcat and used it many times in a tent while camping. No issues. I just unzip open a window a little bit so it can breathe.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:41:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Foam pad over air mattress, below sleeping bag. The big air chamber in the air mattress affords little insulation value, but saves your back.  :)
View Quote

This.  The air in the air mattress will be chilly.

A fleece blanket over an air mattress works really well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:08:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Well I survived. It was a great trip actually. Friday night was great. Saturday it got up to 77 degrees. We did some hiking (pretty rough terrain) in the hill country. The dogs loved it too. We did run into a startled lone hiker that just had a mountain lion cross his path. The park rangers said they've had a few reported sightings lately and it's getting closer to the camp site areas. Which made for interesting stories later that night in the dark. I enjoy scaring the lady a bit.

So night time fell and I'm still waiting for this front. About 6:30pm, I could hear the wind coming. As Forrest Gump would say, "And then God showed up". 30 mph gusts and the temp dropped to 30 by 9:00pm! Had some whiskey and sat by the fire till about 10:00. Changed socks before bed, used hand and feet warmers, and layered with sleeping bags and wool blankets. It was windy as hell all night but we managed just fine. The dog got in my sleeping bag and wrapped himself around my legs. Best heater ever!

Boy was the morning rough though, getting up. It was 20 degrees at 7:30am. We packed up quickly and got out. Overall, great trip at Colorado Bend State Park. Very primitive. Compost toilet only and no showers. It was warm enough on Saturday to use my Rinse Kit to clean up though.
View Quote

It was COLD!  Drove near you on Sunday morning at about 8-9am.. on the way back to AZ from College Station.  Between Lampasas and Brady on the 190, it went from 18f to 15f and stayed there for a bit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#47]
A nalgene filled with hot water inside a sock is an old trick. 
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 1:20:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It was COLD!  Drove near you on Sunday morning at about 8-9am.. on the way back to AZ from College Station.  Between Lampasas and Brady on the 190, it went from 18f to 15f and stayed there for a bit.
View Quote

Yeah, we were in Lampasas by 0930 having breakfast and thawing out on Sunday morning.  That was the coldest weather I've ever experienced.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I always bring a few Thermacare back/hip wraps just in case.
They are small, light and keep you really warm.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know, I've always wanted to bring a potato along in aluminum foil, heat it up by the fire, and just use it as a heat source in my tent/bag.  I'd probably eat it in my sleep though lol.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top