Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2016 3:08:09 PM EDT
Brand new tps 520 gv evos for just under $200. Should I get them? They look awesome, sturdy and full grain leather. I gotta try them on of course. Are they worth it? I wore out my merril Moab's in one summer.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Started wearing Asolo in 1997 and never looked back. As hard as I am on footwear, I've not found any that last like they do.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Sub $200.00? Buy a few pairs, then pm me a link please. I've had about 7 pairs over the years, don't hardly wear anything else.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I would check here. Sierra Trading Post doesn't have the same exact boot but they have something similar for $160 plus free shipping. I recommend signing up for their emails and you'll get some decent coupons. Also, Asolo's outlet store has what I think is the same boot for $180. I have no clue how much shipping is.
Even one of the cheaper hiking boots Asolo makes, the Echo, was way better than the Merril boots I've tried. My Moabs didn't survive being worn as street shoes and had a blowout in the toe area. My Asolo Echos survived years of Iraq and Afghanistan as well as regular hiking.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would check here. Sierra Trading Post doesn't have the same exact boot but they have something similar for $160 plus free shipping. I recommend signing up for their emails and you'll get some decent coupons. Also, Asolo's outlet store has what I think is the same boot for $180. I have no clue how much shipping is.

Even on of the cheaper hiking boot Asolo makes was way better than the Merril boots I've tried. My Moabs didn't survive being worn as street shoes and had a blowout in the toe area. My Asolo Echos survived years of Iraq and Afghanistan as well as regular hiking.

View Quote

Sierra Trading Post is far and away the best place to purchase Asolos. Do not ever purchase anything from Sierra Trading Post without one of their weekly 25% off (used to be up to 35% ??).

My last pair with coupon were sub $100.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Even on of the cheaper hiking boot Asolo makes was way better than the Merril boots I've tried. My Moabs didn't survive being worn as street shoes and had a blowout in the toe area. My Asolo Echos survived years of Iraq and Afghanistan as well as regular hiking.

View Quote

Wow!!! Those are the ones yes. Better price than what I found by a few dollars too. I'm glad I posted in here!
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Started wearing Asolo in 1997 and never looked back. As hard as I am on footwear, I've not found any that last like they do.
View Quote

Yeah, I even started a thread or two about them over the years.  Great, long-lasting boots.  But, OP, buy them if they fit you.  Price is not the most important factor when making footwear decisions.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Assholos? Never heard of him.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wow!!! Those are the ones yes. Better price than what I found by a few dollars too. I'm glad I posted in here!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My last 25% coupon email expired yesterday. but they are fairly constant.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#9]
STP coupon:

PJD2594P

Free shipping on 100+ and a sliding scale of percentages off based on how much you spent;

**Discount will be applied at checkout on select items. Order Sub-Total excludes tax and shipping charges. Discount is at least 15% off our regular prices when order Sub-Total is $75.00 to $99.99; 20% off when order Sub-Total is $100.00 to $124.99; or 25% off when order Sub-Total is $125.00 or more. Gift card purchase does not apply to minimum purchase. Use links in email to activate discount. Limit 3 orders. Not valid with other keycode offers. Cannot be applied to past orders. Expires at 11:59pm (MST) Thursday, November 17, 2016.

I would love to try a pair of Asolo boots but reality is I have to many still in my line up...

Probably my favorite brands are Danner and Meindl.

At least 3 pair of those are "retired" hunting boots.  No longer 100%, not really waterproof any more, old, but still good for work, and well I don't work outside for a living so it really takes me a while to actually finish a boot off to where I feel ok about tossing them.  

But damn these threads mentioning Asolo.  I have wanted to try a pair for a while now.  Maybe in another year or two.  Any ways, hope some one can make use of that coupon.  I will post more if I get any.

Once your signed up for coupons, with an account at STP, try leaving whatever you want in you "Cart" for a few days, they will start sending you more coupons to complete the purchase.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I waited until after cyber Monday to make sure I was in budget but got the boots from the link mkgunz posted above. Boots look awesome and are very warm. I'm walking around the neighborhood to break them in as they are incredibly stiff. These are light years better than the merrils.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Asolos have been my go-to boot brand for a while, but this year I tried Salewa and am happy at the performance/price and fit.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Asolos have been my go-to boot brand for a while, but this year I tried Salewa and am happy at the performance/price and fit.
View Quote
Asolos were my first real hiking boot, and I was sad when the leather finally gave out after only a few years.  That's the problem with leather here in the Pacific Northwet; they just don't last as long.  It's the constant dry to wet to dry to wet... even treated they cracked and finally blew out.

I recently went looking for a wet weather boot for daily wear as well as light hiking.  Since my dry days shoe is the La Sportiva Boulder X approach shoe, I tried the La Sportiva Core High GTX, but the soles were too mushy.  I have plantar fasciitis so I need the sole to be more firm.  Hold the shoe in both hands and try to fold it; does it bend in the arch or only in the forefoot?  Human feet don't bend in the arch, so your shoe shouldn't either.  So those went back.

Next I tried the Salewa Firetail Mid GTX and they've been perfect so far.  http://www.salewa.us/en/firetail-evo-mid-gtx-men.html

These are keepers.  They have the to-the-toe lacing for better fit.  Feet swell throughout the day and I can tie these tighter in the morning and looser in the evening when my feet are almost a half size bigger.  The soles are super sticky which is helpful for a klutz like me.  They're also super light and waterproof.  Bear in mind that these are not really boots, they're a high-top approach shoe.  The high collar is more for ankle protection than ankle support.  It has to be that way if you think about it- you need a lot of flexibility when you're climbing up the scree and that's how they made these shoes.  If you have ankles that need support, a boot is a better choice, but for me these are perfect.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Asolos were my first real hiking boot, and I was sad when the leather finally gave out after only a few years.  That's the problem with leather here in the Pacific Northwet; they just don't last as long.  It's the constant dry to wet to dry to wet... even treated they cracked and finally blew out.

I recently went looking for a wet weather boot for daily wear as well as light hiking.  Since my dry days shoe is the La Sportiva Boulder X approach shoe, I tried the La Sportiva Core High GTX, but the soles were too mushy.  I have plantar fasciitis so I need the sole to be more firm.  Hold the shoe in both hands and try to fold it; does it bend in the arch or only in the forefoot?  Human feet don't bend in the arch, so your shoe shouldn't either.  So those went back.

Next I tried the Salewa Firetail Mid GTX and they've been perfect so far.  http://www.salewa.us/en/firetail-evo-mid-gtx-men.html

These are keepers.  They have the to-the-toe lacing for better fit.  Feet swell throughout the day and I can tie these tighter in the morning and looser in the evening when my feet are almost a half size bigger.  The soles are super sticky which is helpful for a klutz like me.  They're also super light and waterproof.  Bear in mind that these are not really boots, they're a high-top approach shoe.  The high collar is more for ankle protection than ankle support.  It has to be that way if you think about it- you need a lot of flexibility when you're climbing up the scree and that's how they made these shoes.  If you have ankles that need support, a boot is a better choice, but for me these are perfect.

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/large/SFW/SFW000Q/BK.jpg
View Quote

I ordered a pair when they first came out, was super disappointed how harrow they are and they don't make a wide.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I ordered a pair when they first came out, was super disappointed how harrow they are and they don't make a wide.
View Quote
I don't have narrow feet; more just regular width.  I read that complaint in reviews for almost all the approach shoes/boots, and I wonder if people aren't expecting a boot-like fit.  Approach shoes are supposed to be a hybrid of a light hiker and a dainty climbing shoe.  Approach shoes tend to be tight with the goal of 'becoming one with your foot' if that makes sense.  

To my son, all shoes feel like they're too narrow because he is used to skateboard shoes worn mostly untied.  I don't find them too narrow at all, just a snug fitting shoe.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 4 years on Osolo  520 gv Evo hiking boots. Wear every day. Need new pair finally, they lost that tennis shoes feeling... Still, great boots..
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#16]
REI has them for $315.00 great price at that price...
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:47:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Under 200 is a good deal.

I had my first pair for 7 or 8 years before the sole was worn out.  Picked up a pair of drifter gv's last year on ebay for $125 new because they had a small "dent" over the little toe.  After a little while, it went away so im stoked.

Asolos seem to be to only boots that feel right, im a fan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top