Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2016 6:06:59 PM EDT
Looking at the RV world but I want at least dial up comperabel internet on 4g what is the best way to do it?

what carrier , what booster, what phone

am I looking the right way or is there something else I want under $200 a month.

any advice is awesome
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking at the RV world but I want at least dial up comperabel internet on 4g what is the best way to do it?

<snip>

View Quote

Huh?  Dial up is not 4G nor is it comparable?  Best way to do what?

---

There are many ways to connect to the web this day and age:

-56K dial up is archived via a phone line and old fashion modem.

-DSL is uses a specialty modem through service provider.  This also occurs via phone line.

-Everything else occurs through fiber optic or T1 etc.

-There are Dish internet providers like hughes net, but they get expensive and are not overly fast.  You also have the piggy bag/ highbred type dish providers that download via dish, and upload via a phone line through a modem.

-Wireless via cellular phone carrier occurs over CDMA or GSM network in the US.  Verizon or AT&T respectively.

Cellular service obviously greatly depends on location, and you will only know what actually works in which location by trying it.

After that you have Sat phone connections...  Which can very greatly between provider and plan.  Prices are getting cheaper though and you have some options like spot or delorme.

Unless you know what services are available at whatever location you need a connections, then its kind of hard to answer or point you in a good direction.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#2]
satellite
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Your best bet is to get Verizon and pay the $15 a month to hotspot your phone, or pick up a hotspot device if you dont want to use your phone.

If you are going where the signal dont shine, then you need to go satellite...  from the slow irridium go all the way to a sat-fi device.. just the hardware starts at like $450 bucks, then add the services.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#4]
These guys seem to stay pretty current on the subject, especially since a lot of them are living on very meager incomes.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These guys seem to stay pretty current on the subject, especially since a lot of them are living on very meager incomes.
View Quote

thanks that looks like it will help alot
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Literally built my own wireless ISP. But I know networking and stuff :-)
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Will you be moving about in your RV or staying in one spot. It may be possible to use wireless point-to-point bridges to get an internet signal from where it is available to where you need it to be (over numerous miles) depending on terrain, signal blockages etc...

In open terrain you can easily get a signal 5+ miles for under $200, or 25 miles for under $1000... as a matter of fact, I'm currently looking to acquire the good necessary to get a signal 6 miles through "a few trees" and it's looking like about $350 will do it...
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

what carrier , what booster, what phone

am I looking the right way or is there something else I want under $200 a month.

any advice is awesome
View Quote

I live where only mobile carrier work. We use Verizon. Satellite reception in the woods is not the best as trees get in the way. Line of site will dictate what you should use.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think I'm going to try the $5 3G Verizon hotspot thing on that page. $85 for the hotspot and $5/mo for unlimited 3G internet (not the fastest, but still usable). We just moved out to a more rural property and there aren't many internet options available.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:26:27 AM EDT
[#10]
INREACH-GPS and you can SMS/check FB
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think I'm going to try the $5 3G Verizon hotspot thing on that page. $85 for the hotspot and $5/mo for unlimited 3G internet (not the fastest, but still usable). We just moved out to a more rural property and there aren't many internet options available.
View Quote

Happy to report that the Verizon $5/mo internet is working... at least for now... The hotspot was $85 shipped and comes with 2 months of internet already on it (don't have to renew until 2 months after purchase date). Even in marginal cell-phone territory I'm getting 3+ Mbps download. Even if I had to buy a new hotspot every 2 months I'm still cheaper than the other options (1.5 Mbps max DSL speed but I have to run a new phone-line 1/2 mile from the road or wireless point to point internet for $65+/mo). If the $5/mo thing holds out for a while (as long as I don't forget to renew) I'm happy.

I did have a little trouble getting my PC to connect to the MiFi device but I think that is PC related, my wife's phone connected fine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Happy to report that the Verizon $5/mo internet is working... at least for now... The hotspot was $85 shipped and comes with 2 months of internet already on it (don't have to renew until 2 months after purchase date). Even in marginal cell-phone territory I'm getting 3+ Mbps download. Even if I had to buy a new hotspot every 2 months I'm still cheaper than the other options (1.5 Mbps max DSL speed but I have to run a new phone-line 1/2 mile from the road or wireless point to point internet for $65+/mo). If the $5/mo thing holds out for a while (as long as I don't forget to renew) I'm happy.

I did have a little trouble getting my PC to connect to the MiFi device but I think that is PC related, my wife's phone connected fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have cell phone coverage, use the data link on that.

I have Sprint, - unlimited everything. Using pdanet, the phone becomes a modem, and the provider just sees you using data on the phone.
Only 2-3 mps sometimes, but recently, in GA I was getting 28-30 mps, while my bro was getting 2.3 mps on his DSL.

pdanet
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you have cell phone coverage, use the data link on that.

I have Sprint, - unlimited everything. Using pdanet, the phone becomes a modem, and the provider just sees you using data on the phone.
Only 2-3 mps sometimes, but recently, in GA I was getting 28-30 mps, while my bro was getting 2.3 mps on his DSL.

pdanet
View Quote

No chance of getting sprint anything here. ATT & Verizon are the only ones that even provide "marginal service". Verizon no longer does the unlimited data but there is a "hack" to get unlimited data using a Mifi device. I'm not entirely sure how they do it but they hack it to trick the Verizon network into thinking it's a "dumb-phone" so Verizon doesn't monitor data consumption. All you have to do is add $5 per month to keep the line active and you keep getting unlimited data for $5/mo. Much better than paying outrageous amounts for data on a tethered cell-phone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top