Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2016 4:49:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd recommend getting a square tarp.  It gives you a lot more pitching options.  I think you can get a 10'x10' under 16oz.

Too many variables (temp, wind, rain, etc.)to recommend a specific configuration.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 3:03:22 AM EDT
[#3]
The Hilleberg Tarp 5 is 10x7 and is 11oz. I have the Tarp 10 and I'm very happy with its build quality. Light, strong and bomb proof. Comes with guy lines, tensioners and the stuff sack is part of the tarp.
https://www.amazon.com/Hilleberg-Tarp-5-UL/dp/B01CK1YO44

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Make your own..it's cheaper.

But under 13 Oz for a 10x10 Ish should be easy.

My 8x8 is around 8-10oz iirc...
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
or if you wanna go even lighter get a cuben fiber tarp! https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/flat-tarp.html
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:25:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Cooke Custom Sewing, makes, I think, the best available of the sort of tarps you've  described. Others here, mostly unknowing know-it-alls, may disagree, but you won't go wrong with a CCS product.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:51:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cooke Custom Sewing, makes, I think, the best available of the sort of tarps you've  described. Others here, mostly unknowing know-it-alls, may disagree, but you won't go wrong with a CCS product.
View Quote

Most unknowingly know it all's can make their one out vs buying it
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
or if you wanna go even lighter get a cuben fiber tarp! https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/flat-tarp.html
View Quote

I wouldn't recommend a cuben-fiber tarp for someone just starting out...sil-nylon is really forgiving and a little more durable.  I have two cuben-fiber tarps; one is my main hammock fly and I do have to take a little more care (maybe it's because of the cost), as cuben-fiber has little to no give and you can really get it taut.  My concern is mostly from cuben-fiber stuff stacks.  They just don't seem to take as much abuse as sil-nylon as they seem to get abrasions and if overstuffed, the seams don't seem to hold as well.  Don't get me wrong the stuff is great as a fly, but it's petty expensive to learn and experiment with a variety of ground shelters.

I'm not as handy as some and my wife won't let me use her sewing machine on "gear" projects.  I as our local alterations shop on base what they would charge to sew on the grosgrain edges and a dozen reinforced tabs.  With supplied materials, they said about $20-30, which isn't too bad and I suspect most local shops would be similar.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You never did answer what exactly made them superior to all other tarps on the last thread about tarps.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I am all about the bushcraft and can rough it with the best of them.

Silnylon shelter is the suck.

African mud hut is superior.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You never did answer what exactly made them superior to all other tarps on the last thread about tarps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, if you knew anything at all, you'd already know that they're the best and you wouldn't need convincing.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Bearpaw wilderness has decent prices on seconds silnylon tarps.  Also check out etowah tarps and the dd 3x3 for a cheaper and heavier option.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I spent 8 days under a Paria Siltarp 8'x10' last month. My only complaint is it could use two more tie down loops on each of the long ends.  But it's great and I anticipate using it every year for years to come.  Also, if it were 10'x10' that would be great. Those extra 2 feet would be welcome.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I picked up a Borah Gear 9x9 during their 25% off sale for $83. Great quality, fair prices, but long lead times. Good, cheap, fast, pick 2.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Wind is my biggest  concern at this point.  Do you have one you could recommend?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd recommend getting a square tarp.  It gives you a lot more pitching options.  I think you can get a 10'x10' under 16oz.

Too many variables (temp, wind, rain, etc.)to recommend a specific configuration.

Wind is my biggest  concern at this point.  Do you have one you could recommend?

Simply Light Designs.   It's a small cottage industry shop.  Really good work, you can have it made exactly how you want it.  He has some pre-made stuff on eBay too. Very fast.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Granite gear has some nice ones
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Remember 2 is one, 1 is none...

I prefer this one..https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/cloudburst/

Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:22:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Some are educated, and can spell, understand the conventions of grammar and punctuation, and don't worry about prolonging a silly argument about an inconsequential issue.

This forum, like many similar "fora", where "newbies" ask for advice, has the toxic, nearly fatal flaw, of admitting the comments and recommendations of all comers, without regard to any established credentials, experience, or any other qualifications. Thus, when someone asks for gear recommendations, they mostly hear self-affirming accolades for others' choices, unwitting or otherwise, irrespective of any actual experiential merit, or useful, practical testing.

So, take any endorsements found here, including mine, with a healthy dose of salt.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Some are educated, and can spell, understand the conventions of grammar and punctuation, and don't worry about prolonging a silly argument about an inconsequential issue.

This forum, like many similar "fora", where "newbies" ask for advice, has the toxic, nearly fatal flaw, of admitting the comments and recommendations of all comers, without regard to any established credentials, experience, or any other qualifications. Thus, when someone asks for gear recommendations, they mostly hear self-affirming accolades for others' choices, unwitting or otherwise, irrespective of any actual experiential merit, or useful, practical testing.

So, take any endorsements found here, including mine, with a healthy dose of salt.
View Quote

Lol

140+ for a 8x10.

50$ of fabric......at a normal non bulk rate.

Labor

Some French rolls..bar tacks and straight stitching.....

Probably got a nice logo on it though..that at least worth 90$ imho.

Tarps are not rocket science.....

Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

You post the most hilariously pompous things on here, but you've never once given a single technical reason why your pet tarps are the best. That's why people, including me, are needling you.
I'm actually going to be buying a smaller sil tarp after the 1st. Why would I buy a Cooke over another brand? Don't just say some nonsense about the "experience" or "qualifications" of the poster - give me some actual features that make it better. Can you manage that?
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You post the most hilariously pompous things on here, but you've never once given a single technical reason why your pet tarps are the best. That's why people, including me, are needling you.
I'm actually going to be buying a smaller sil tarp after the 1st. Why would I buy a Cooke over another brand? Don't just say some nonsense about the "experience" or "qualifications" of the poster - give me some actual features that make it better. Can you manage that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1...  You say its the best then call others out?  I would like you to explain the features, construction, benefit of said tarp.  A follow up with some photographs would be nice, preferably outdoors in action/ use?

You say no one here is experienced, but how do we know you are experienced?  I don't use silnylon tarps because of their cost, but if I did feel the need, I would make my own using my sewing machine  

Aside from hunting trips I mostly camp in a small light cheap pup tent, or my backwoods constructed leanto:

Would you look at that, some of us also spend time in the outdoors
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#25]
What tarp did you get?
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 1:27:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top