Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2016 5:58:33 AM EDT
Looking to get a decent set fer use at home. We own 19 acres mostly wooded and would like to be able to get ahold of the kids when they are out in the woods or if they have an emergency. I dont know a whole lot about them. I would like to get rechargeable ones if possible, and they should be semi weatherproof as well. I would be will to pay about $100 fer a set.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:02:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:21:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes. No need for the gmrs since they are only going to be used on our property.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#3]
MURS at 2 watts, or go part 90 with Itinerant at 5 watts HH.

You will get a solid mile at least, more depending on terrain.

eBay used VHF-HI portable, lots of Motorola, and others to be had. Get all 5 MURS freq programmed with tone squelch.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd get some used Motorola  Nextel handsets like the i355 from ebay. They are milspec, digital, private and cheap.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for MURS.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought the Uniden Submersible 50 Mile FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radios with Charging Kit.  Very happy.  The advertised distance will never be reality no matter which radio you buy.  If your intended terrain is hilly or other obstacles purchase the longest range radio you can afford.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Lots of good info here:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/665780_Important_Threads___New_to_the_forum__check_here_first_.html

If your not interest in reading, or understanding comms then any bubble package radio will do.  They have very little variation and most are 1/4~1/2 watt as regulated by the FCC.

GMRS specifically can use a bit more but again, most bubble packs wont run more then a watt or two.  Purchasable license is technically required for GMRS.

You can run 4~5 watts with a $30 programmable VHF+UHF radio from amazon...  It does require a touch of knowledge and research though.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I did check some of the recommendations. The murs seems to be pretty expensive fer what i am looking at right now. I did read through some of the info that was in the link provided. As far as i could tell, it was mostly fer ham radios and trying to talk to others at pretty far distances. I dont know much about any of this type of stuff. I am not quite interested in talking to others hundreds of miles away (no offense to those who who do) . I am just looking fer something that will be suitable fer 20 acres of land that is mostly wooded and flat.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did check some of the recommendations. The murs seems to be pretty expensive fer what i am looking at right now. I did read through some of the info that was in the link provided. As far as i could tell, it was mostly fer ham radios and trying to talk to others at pretty far distances. I dont know much about any of this type of stuff. I am not quite interested in talking to others hundreds of miles away (no offense to those who who do) . I am just looking fer something that will be suitable fer 20 acres of land that is mostly wooded and flat.
View Quote

If your not interested in programing your own radios then I would just pick some Motorola FRS/GMRS from any major retailer.

Ham radio in general isn't only talking to people hundreds miles away, and it isn't just a single type of radio,  Many hams use retired public safety gear...  Same thing you find in police cars or fire trucks.  You can plug them into a computer and put your own frequency's in them.  A technicians ham license is nothing more then permission from the FCC to use a specified group of frequency's,  Many of those frequency's are close to what people refer to as CB/ MURS/ FRS/ GMRS/ Marine...

They are all frequency allocations for a device to operate on.  A channel on a radio is nothing more then pre-programed frequency and sometimes additional information.

An FRS radio is just a UHF radio that operates on a set of frequency's.  Same for MURS CB etc...  but they all use different frequency's. UHF-VHF-HF...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Mobile_Radio_Service

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_VHF_radio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_band_radio

First pick which above service fits your needs, then pick a radio capable...

I haven't bought a bubble pack radio in decades so I am not the person to point you at a specific radio.

Bubble pack radio refers to what you would find at Walmart, or Target...  Its an FCC type accepted radio that is usually non programmable and will only work with a specific service, like FRS.  

A good example of this type of radio would be a Motorola Talkabout.

Many of us use radios that are capable of all of the above services (excluding CB.)  
Believe it or not these radios only cost $30~40, and have more then 3x the capability of your average bubble pack.  They do have to be programed by the user though.  Usually with a computer.

ETA/ hope that helps. The "radio" topic can go just as in-depth as an AR15 build...  I tried to lay out as simple as possible.  Feel free to post any questions and I will do my best to answer.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you, that is more helpful. I will do some more reading and see what will work best.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you, that is more helpful. I will do some more reading and see what will work best.
View Quote

You can get MURS type radios for $50 each used, $200 new and in-between.

What is your price point? Per radio or overall budget. Sounds like you should start there on the best radio service for your money.

Problem with ham, everyone needs a license, and no business talk, so if you are setting fence or similar, would be a no go on ham.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I would like to stay at about $100 fer two of them. I can go a little higher if need be though. I will take a look at the murs again and see what else i can find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top