Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2016 8:58:49 PM EDT
So I just recently got a new puppy, and I have been taking him outside before work, and before I go to bed (as well as a few times throughout the day). The problem is, these first and last times outside are in the dark. I do have outdoor lights, which I use, but I was also looking to possibly add a headlamp for added light while taking him out.

I'd like a good quality light, don't really care if it is battery or rechargeable. I'd like something that is obviously comfortable, can give me plenty of light, and is weatherproof.

I know these are pretty vague / broad requirements, so throw anything at me that would be a good recommendation. I don't mind spending some money on a quality unit (like more than the cheapo $5 Walmart units), but I don't need a super high-end unit either.

Also, I have a free Amazon Prime thing right now, so if I can get it on Amazong, that would be cool. I don't mind heading to a local REI or Cabelas if need be.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I use these for work. Great and durable light with different output features.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
My favorite  

Petzl
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two made by Coast.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:14:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I personally like the simplicity of a single-cell light.  For general purpose, I've found the Fenix HL50 to be the most versatile:  Fenix HL50

This headlamp can run either a CR123 (or rechargeable equivalent) or a AA (or rechargeable equivalent).  The only downside, is that I wish it would take the higher voltage Li-ion batteries (like the 14500 or RCR123A's), but what I do like is that this headlamp actually performs better with NiMH rechargeable batteries like Eneloop better than regular alkaline AA batteries...making it a pretty good investment.

Comfort is excellent and the metal plate attaching the light is very robust but not uncomfortable at all.  The band is also big enough to fit around a helmet or hat.  Simple user-interface and plenty of light.

This is by far my favorite headlamp these days.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had a $5 Wal-Mart for years. It has a red LED, White LED, and Tungsten lamp.

That said, I like my L.L. Bean head lamp better. Trail Blazer

My only real suggestion is get one with a RED LED output option. Keeps your natural night vision active. White at night is good for detail work (picking up poop) but sucks for trying to see anything out of the lit zone.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Petzl
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Mammut is a decent breand and this one is on sale

Walmart has cheap ones but the batteries dont last near as long.

Personally I like my black diamond.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both the Petzl Tikka + and the Black Diamond new Spot.  Both are the same price.  I prefer the Petzl because it has a much brighter, pointed red light and it is more comfortable on my head.  The Petzl has a bit of extra padding for your forehead.  Also, it only has one button to worry about.  The BD's have a side button that makes things really bright for a while, but I keep accidently pushing it.  

Those are around $30-40.  But if it's just for taking your dog out then the Energizers you get at Walmart will work perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll second the FENIX HL50.

Last week I ran over mine with my Duramax 2500, on concrete. The light is fine, but broke the clip that holds it to the headband.

In stock, Amazon Prime eligible.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Surefire Minimus and have been very happy with it. Runs on a 123 cell, it's all aluminum, and the brightness adjustment knob is pretty handy.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#12]
fenix hl50 here too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a Streamlight Double Clutch. Has Hi/Low brightness, and spot or flood settings. Decent size/weight. Comes with a usb rechargeable battery pack, or can run off of AAA batteries. Comes in black or hi-viz yellow. I'm a mechanic and I use mine daily at work. Has proven pretty durable thus far.

SPECS HERE
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#14]
IMHO, Petzl sucks.... I had a TakTikka Plus for a few years and it cracked almost right away (not abusing it) and it eventually wouldn't hold the battery door shut. Changing batteries is a PITA, it's not waterproof, and it just feels cheap. If you're looking for a Petzl Tikka/TakTikka style light look at Princeton Tec: much more robust, waterproof, greater range of movement/aiming, lifetime warranty (that I have used and can report works well), and cheaper than the Petzl.

That being said, if you want a phenomenal light (at a phenomenal price) and light I recently got is the Surefire Maximus... really love the light. It's bulky, but carries on-board rechargeable battery. Continuously variable light output from 1-500 lumens (500 lumens in a headlamp? really nice because you don't have to carry a secondary light)... Battery lasts a LONG time... I'm going on weeks of daily use since my last recharge and the battery indicator is just now indicating it's getting a bit low (but not dead yet).
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:26:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That being said, if you want a phenomenal light (at a phenomenal price) and light I recently got is the Surefire Maximus... really love the light. It's bulky, but carries on-board rechargeable battery. Continuously variable light output from 1-500 lumens (500 lumens in a headlamp? really nice because you don't have to carry a secondary light)... Battery lasts a LONG time... I'm going on weeks of daily use since my last recharge and the battery indicator is just now indicating it's getting a bit low (but not dead yet).
View Quote

It really looks as if Surefire is using some sort of 18650 battery.  I really wish they wouldn't have made the battery integral to the headlamp; the LED will outlast the cycle life of a Li-ion battery.  I have a Nitcore HC90, it's a rechargeable headlamp (via USB) with either a 18650 or two rechargeable (RCR) CR123 batteries or you can even just use two CR123 batteries.  It's bulky, not as svelte as the Maxiumus, but I love the "infinity" variability feature that they both share (plus the HC90 has red, blue and green LEDs).  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It really looks as if Surefire is using some sort of 18650 battery.  I really wish they wouldn't have made the battery integral to the headlamp; the LED will outlast the cycle life of a Li-ion battery.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really looks as if Surefire is using some sort of 18650 battery.  I really wish they wouldn't have made the battery integral to the headlamp; the LED will outlast the cycle life of a Li-ion battery.  

Surefire lifetime warranty is supposed to cover even the battery if it degrades significantly... But lets face the reality, LED/electronics technology is advancing so fast that by the time the battery wears out the light itself is outdated and could go for replacement. At that point you could get the replacement from Surefire and set it aside as a backup, truck/car light, etc and start rocking newer technology for daily use...
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#17]
We have 2 nitecore HC90's in the house. Love them. We use them camping, hunting, and like you, walking dogs.

HC90
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 2, surefire, princeton tec apex pro.

Pro is the best of the 2 but surefire gets used the most around the house.

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Surefire lifetime warranty is supposed to cover even the battery if it degrades significantly... But lets face the reality, LED/electronics technology is advancing so fast that by the time the battery wears out the light itself is outdated and could go for replacement. At that point you could get the replacement from Surefire and set it aside as a backup, truck/car light, etc and start rocking newer technology for daily use...
View Quote

Surefire's warranties are excellent, and good point.  Technology (and the consumer's insatiable appetite for the "newest" toy) does advance beyond wear out of the devices (just look at smart phones).  I'm just "old-school" and prefer the ability to change the battery myself.  Technology may eclipse the device, but most of these devices will have very long, serviceable lifespans, and for long-term SHTF where warranties may not be applicable, it's nice to have options.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:38:51 AM EDT
[#20]
My go to for any emergency situation, or backup while in the backcountry is a rayovac indestructible  100lumina from home depot.  Two settings, high, and low...  Takes 3 AAA and has three straps which means you don't have to tighten it super tight on your head for it to stay up, you can wear it like a loose hat and be comfortable for hours...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rayovac-Indestructible-3AAA-100-Lumen-Headlight-DIYHPHL-B/202968174

I think I am going on two~three years of frequent use on mine.  My wife has had hers for a similar amount of time but had battery's give up the ghost inside it about a year ago...  I was able to clean it up with a tooth brush and its still going strong.  I now run rechargeable in most my stuff.

ETA/ forgot to add that I have several other head lamps, and its not always my primary, but it is my go to.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:00:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:33:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Petzl and my more expensive Black Diamond..LED...but the cheaper Princeton tec are not bad lights..
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Has the Zebralight fallen out of favor these days?
View Quote

+1 Zebralight.  That said, any of THESE would probably do for walking the dog.  I got the kids Petzl Tikkas.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Has the Zebralight fallen out of favor these days?
View Quote

I came to post this... Zebra light its my go too for most of my lighting needs... Awesome lights
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Petzl Tactikka!!!!!

Mine has been working well for 3 years now. I like that I can turn it on red without having to cycle through white. Super waterproof. Left it in my ACU cargo pocket once and washed it. Didn't find it until I was switching to the dryer. Turned it on while still dripping, insides were perfectly dry. Plenty bright with good lithiums (and it helps me keep all my batteries standardized. . . my Garmin, the Petzl, and XC-1 all take AAA, so it cuts down on how many batteries I need to take when travelling)
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 1:43:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a really old Energizer with lifetime warranty. The clips on the battery packs are prone to breakage though, so I rigged up a harness to keep them in place.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 12:33:01 AM EDT
[#27]
R
Quoted:
My go to for any emergency situation, or backup while in the backcountry is a rayovac indestructible  100lumina from home depot.  Two settings, high, and low...  Takes 3 AAA and has three straps which means you don't have to tighten it super tight on your head for it to stay up, you can wear it like a loose hat and be comfortable for hours...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rayovac-Indestructible-3AAA-100-Lumen-Headlight-DIYHPHL-B/202968174

I think I am going on two~three years of frequent use on mine.  My wife has had hers for a similar amount of time but had battery's give up the ghost inside it about a year ago...  I was able to clean it up with a tooth brush and its still going strong.  I now run rechargeable in most my stuff.

ETA/ forgot to add that I have several other head lamps, and its not always my primary, but it is my go to.
View Quote

I bought one of those a couple of months ago at Home Depot. It seems to work alright.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 4:10:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I've got the NiteCore HC50 and love it.  Runs off an 18650 and is IPX-8 rated.  Has red and white light.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got a Princeton Tec Vizz that I just got for my backpacking gear/get-home bag. I think I paid $29 for it at Dick's.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Can't go wring with Petzl.

The TacTikka I have has a number of filters you can slide across to cover the white light as well. I love to have the option of going to a red filter mostly so I can talk to people without blinding them etc.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:21:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I lost my awesome Quad Tactical so I ran to Academy and pickings were slim. I ended up with the Nite Ize Inova LED with Swipe-To-Shine activation. Great in theory. Fucking PITA in the real world. It seemed to work great in the store but on the trail I can swipe forever and it either won't turn on or off (whichever I'm trying to do). I love that when it does actually come on you can adjust the brightness to what you need, not some preset. Aside from that I want to beat it do death with a fucking hammer.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:04:45 AM EDT
[#32]
I've gone through a lot of headlamps over the years.

A LOT.  6V lantern battery lights, to nitelites, to wheatlamps, various styles of cap lamp and belt generator carbide, custom made and prototype LED's, and a bucketful of mass produced LED lights from Petzl, Princeton Tec etc... .

If you want a small, self contained light (no external battery pack) the Princeton Tec EOS is hard to beat.  http://www.innermountainoutfitters.com/eos/

It is one of the better sealed lights against water.  Simple 4 settings, one switch, easy to find and click and throws a good beam pattern.

One of the best points of distinction though is the method of closure of the body.  Instead of being a plastic tab that will eventually snap off, it uses a captured screw that secures the two halves.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
One of the best points of distinction though is the method of closure of the body.  Instead of being a plastic tab that will eventually snap off, it uses a captured screw that secures the two halves.
View Quote

Although I don't use the 3xAAA headlamps much anymore, they are backups and used for emergency use.  I have a few of the Petzl versions and the Princeton Tec; this is a very valid design feature that makes the Princeton Tec a more robust design.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:52:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Of all the headlamps I've owned, I prefer the Fenix HL 50. 2 battery type options is nice.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#36]
I stumbled across my Quad Tactical (it was stuffed in a pack pocket). I'm not sure what's wrong with it but it's not working right. Fresh batteries and I have to hold it up to my face to see it's even on. 
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#37]
So I can't post in this thread because somehow the formatting is off.  Just in this thread, mind you..  And literally not a single post shows up.  Just the "reply" button.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Off the topic you asked about but if you're looking to get a headlamp to keep tabs on the dog consider a lighted dog collar. Between that and a flashlight I can see what my dogs are doing and where they are. Got to see what they're doing because you don't want them eating something they shouldn't and then getting sick in the house.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Petzl Tactikka!!!!!

Mine has been working well for 3 years now. I like that I can turn it on red without having to cycle through white. Super waterproof. Left it in my ACU cargo pocket once and washed it. Didn't find it until I was switching to the dryer. Turned it on while still dripping, insides were perfectly dry. Plenty bright with good lithiums (and it helps me keep all my batteries standardized. . . my Garmin, the Petzl, and XC-1 all take AAA, so it cuts down on how many batteries I need to take when travelling)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Petzl Tactikka!!!!!

Tactikka that I have is definitely not waterproof. Maybe they've hermetically sealed the electronics inside but that doesn't prevent battery compromise and corrosion of contacts etc when water does get inside.

Quoted:

Although I don't use the 3xAAA headlamps much anymore, they are backups and used for emergency use.  I have a few of the Petzl versions and the Princeton Tec; this is a very valid design feature that makes the Princeton Tec a more robust design.

ROCK6

This ^^^ the captured screw of the Ptec is far superior to the "clip together" design of the Petzl. I have 2 Petzl TakTikka's that have broken/failed outside of the warranty.

I will report that my Surefire previously mentioned in this thread has turned out to be a VERY useful light during the home remodel I'm doing. I had it on my head turned up to about middle brightness for over 5 hours while blowing 2+ feet deep insulation into my attic and it worked great! It is a bit heavier and therefore does start to irritate wear the pad contacts the forehead but it's manageable. I will say the downside to a non-replaceable battery did cross my mind as I was up there blowing insulation; I wondered if it was going to make it long enough... thankfully it did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top