Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2016 12:51:46 AM EDT
Hey guys, long story short it turns out my Gucci, girly girl, wife lives taking the awrsngler on serious trail rides and is dying to camp with out 2.5 year old.

Typically I spend forever researching but I know you guys know your stuff so I'm just going to ask. I was looking at the Coleman weathermaster six person.

I'm not going to carry this on my person so it can be big. In fact, unless you guys say not to, I'd rather have a bigger tent. I'm 6'9" so I'd like some room.

Besides the tent, what other items are must haves, that can all fit in a Wrangler Unlimited, that I need for the families first camping trip for two days one night?

I know tent...

Water storage?  How much?  I'm figuring roughly two gallons per day per person. Is that outlandish?

Food. How do I store foods that need refrigeration. Or is that not happening. I know there are low power coolers that I can run off the jeep but they take up room and are expensive.

As you can tell I'm completely green.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:17:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Where are you planning on going in AZ?  

A 6 person tent from Coleman will be great, especially for the money.

My wife(Kate Spade Queen) camping set up is...

-6 person tent
-Air mattress (fair weather)  Go for a double high, queen minimum.
-Two rectangular bags that zip together and your pillows from home.  30f minimum for bag ratings.  We had a few unexpected AZ high country weather issues and now I bring a 0f double bag.  but lower country.. whatever.
-Bring a fleece blanket or two.
-2 comfy chairs.. or at least one for the wife.
-Rubbermaid with my kitchen in it.. stove, pot, pans, foil, spices, cutting board, paper towels, trash bags, oil....  Of course this can be as big or as simple as you want.  Just have the ability to make hot coco and hot coffee.
-Folding or rollup table
-A good coleman or igloo cooler will keep ice for days.  I usually have two coolers, a smaller one for food and whatnot, and a larger one for drinks(beer, gatorade, diet coke(wife), milk..)  
-I bring a reliant 7gallon blue square water container.  Never even really get down to half.  And anyways, most campgrounds have drinking water spigots.  We do a mix of campground and dispersed camping and 7 gallons has always been enough for us.  But I also do a lot of cooking that does not require cleanup so very minimal dishes.

An LED lantern for the table/camp/tent is a must, as well as a flashlight for each person(or headlamp if you want both hands free)

Here are some albums of our last few trips so you can get a feel.

Kehl Springs up on the mogollon rim.  Has vault(pit) toilets, but water.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/freeride21a/albums/72157670849783006

Riggs Flat Lake up on Mt Graham SE AZ.  vault toilets, no water at that time.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/freeride21a/albums/72157644626049376

I have more photos, but need to find them.

I do all the work too.. but every time she tries to help more and more.. I wanted her to have the best time ever so that she wants to go again.. and it worked.. she loves camping now!!!

All that gear fit in the back of my old Chevy Tracker 4dr and easily in my Xterra.

If you have any questions, or need suggestions of places to go, ask!

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:20:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Freeze dried food is better than most people think. (REI)
Good camp stove. I like the MSR line of liquid gas stoves. They run 90min on $1.25 worth of gas.
The most important thing for bringing the wife unit, comfortable bed. A regular blow up mattress is cold as hell. A thick, insulated sleeping pad is the way to go. (for most people)
Always assume its going to rain. Bring a rain tarp to sit under. I hate being stuck inside the tent in a rain storm.  
I would also suggest you look into smaller tents with a full rain fly. Not the coleman. Nothing, I mean nothing is worse than getting to the camp site in the dark while its raining. Wife yelling at you while holding the flash light, telling you that you have the wrong pole in the wrong sleeve while the kid is crying in the truck... Been there.... Got the t-shirt.

I just looked. REI Garage has some larger tents with full flys on sale. Eureka tents are pretty good in the lower price range. (not knowing your budget)

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I think your wife will enjoy the experience substantially more if you don't sleep on the ground.  I have a roof-top tent on my M1009 and my wife loves to take it out to the National Forest and find some barely discernible overgrown road, plow through with the truck, and set up camp in total isolation.  We have an inflatable mattress inside and a pump that plugs in the lighter socket.  We will build a campfire and set up the lawn chairs and thoroughly enjoy a night of quiet solitude.  We have a go-to spot where we set up to escape the all-night stupidity on the 4th of July.

With the tent on top it isn't taking up a lot of room inside the vehicle, and the roof top setup can go deep into places you wouldn't dare drag a trailer.  There's an annex / changing room that zips on to give extra storage room and standing space.

When planning supplies; sit down and start from where you'll be when you pull into camp.  OK, I need....dinner and stuff to make dinner... water... if it's buggy maybe some tiki torches... fire building... games or whatnot for around the fire... bedding... wake up and need breakfast... change of clothes.... kid needs several changes of clothes...

Here's a shot of one on a Jeep, but you can mount them on almost any vehicle, and a shot of my M1009:

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Great advice so far, been camping and offroading for years  in our Wrangler.

Sunscreen, hats, lip balm you can get blasted by windburn and sunburn after a long day of Jeeping. Bug spray, get it use it often and before any issues, better to prevent than even think of dealing with any. Get a good first aid kit and make sure you add aspirin, other painkillers, cortisone cream etc.
^^^^^^ The above should be in your Jeep forever, when traveling or offroading add tree strap, tow strap (no hooks is best) and a Hi-Lift.
'
Be aware if you are not familiar a Hi-Lift is a fantastic tool that can be used for clamping, lifting, winching as a come along but it is a dangerous tool that needs to be used carefully and with full knowledge of how it works or may not work.

No matter what tent you get, set it up, seal the seams again and waterproof again. I have done this with every cheap and expensive tent I have ever bought, this along with  good site choices and never letting a ground cloth stick out from under any edge of the tent has resulted in never having any major rain or water issue.

Couple of decent (can be inexpensive) head lamps (I would have one for everyone including the young ones, makes em easy to spot) are small easy to use and functional.  

Two to three days a decent cooler should take care of your needs. i would recommend ice and blue packs etc., for the cooler. If you can get some block ice even better it will last longer.  I also always freeze a few water bottles to use for ice in the cooler (sometimes a lot) and after a day or so they can be used for drinking.  If  you are going to carry drinks or snacks or anything else that you will be going into the cooler for over and over bring two smaller ones. Keep meat, milk anything you are worried about in one cooler that you do not open often.

In your situation, hitch rack if possible (depends on how much and type of offroading prior to campsite) in the future a small trailer than can be towed offroad is a fantastic addition. You might want to look at a roof rack moving forward as well, makes taking the top down more problematic but can add tons of storage.

Having a usable bathroom is important for girls, I use Portable toilet no water the bags are land fillable and it works great with a small bathroom or shower stall.

Two gallons per day is minimum IMO, carry more if you can. The first trip is a great time to get a handle on how much of each consumable you will use.

If you have nothing else a small solar shower bag warmed in the sun can be one of the most fantastic things ever after a day or two camping. For the future plan on getting a Zodi shower (portable water heaters that use propane or a camp stove) or do what I did and add a hot shower to your Jeep using the coolant heat and a 12V pump.

Like above posters keeping every one dry, warm comfortable is imperative for happiness and future trips.

Bring some cards, books etc. in case there is bad weather, want to have options for entertainment.

Ask more questions we should be able to come up with answers.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think your wife will enjoy the experience substantially more if you don't sleep on the ground.  I have a roof-top tent on my M1009 and my wife loves to take it out to the National Forest and find some barely discernible overgrown road, plow through with the truck, and set up camp in total isolation.  We have an inflatable mattress inside and a pump that plugs in the lighter socket.  We will build a campfire and set up the lawn chairs and thoroughly enjoy a night of quiet solitude.  We have a go-to spot where we set up to escape the all-night stupidity on the 4th of July.

With the tent on top it isn't taking up a lot of room inside the vehicle, and the roof top setup can go deep into places you wouldn't dare drag a trailer.  There's an annex / changing room that zips on to give extra storage room and standing space.

When planning supplies; sit down and start from where you'll be when you pull into camp.  OK, I need....dinner and stuff to make dinner... water... if it's buggy maybe some tiki torches... fire building... games or whatnot for around the fire... bedding... wake up and need breakfast... change of clothes.... kid needs several changes of clothes...

Here's a shot of one on a Jeep, but you can mount them on almost any vehicle, and a shot of my M1009:

https://cascadiatents.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/mt-shasta-std-600x600.jpg https://cascadiatents.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Jeep-Cascadia-Rooftop-Tents-44.jpg
https://cascadiatents.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Chevy-Cascadia-Rooftop-Tents-10.png https://cascadiatents.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Chevy-Cascadia-Rooftop-Tents-11.png
View Quote

Oh so sexy, I wanted one of those tents for years... Now we have a trailer but .. nice.

What brand is that one?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Oh so sexy, I wanted one of those tents for years... Now we have a trailer but .. nice.

What brand is that one?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cascadiatents.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/mt-shasta-std-600x600.jpg https://cascadiatents.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Jeep-Cascadia-Rooftop-Tents-44.jpg
https://cascadiatents.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Chevy-Cascadia-Rooftop-Tents-10.png https://cascadiatents.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Chevy-Cascadia-Rooftop-Tents-11.png

What brand is that one?
Cascadia https://cascadiatents.com/
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I was where you are at about a year ago.  Here's the basics according to me.  It applies only to car camping, or camping in a campground close to your car.  Where most beginners start.  My situation is almost identical to yours

1.  Tent - I suggest a 6 person coleman.  Their instant-up tent seems to be what would work best for you.  https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-6-Person-Instant-Cabin-Tent/dp/B004E4ERHA/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1475026443&sr=1-1&keywords=coleman+instant+tent+6+person

2.  Sleep - Inflatable mattress.  I suggest 3 twins rather than a queen.  You're not going to get lucky with a 2yr old in the tent no matter how hard you try, don't ask how I know.  You can get sleeping bags, but quilts work just as good. Simple pillows, don't forget those.  If you want to try to merge backpacking gear with your car camping gear, get sleeping pads.

3.  Eat - Get a 2-burner gas stove.  Some can be had for $50, some can be found at garage sales or flea markets for much cheaper.  They're simple machines that either work or don't from the start.  Coleman and Primus are good brands.  Also, get some hard plastic plates/bowls/utensils.  Nothing fancy needed, but you don't want it melting when stirring.  Get at least one pot, you can bring from home, and one cast-iron skillet.  That should get you started.  Don't do what I did and buy a cheap non-stick skillet and leave it on the burner for any length of time because that stuff will melt right off.

4.  Light - Propane lantern or head lamps.  You'll want at least one head lamp for the group.  Coleman also makes little miniature lamps that look like the big propane ones. Great for kids and less than $5

5.  Around the fire - Get some folding chairs and stuff to roast hot dogs on.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was where you are at about a year ago.  Here's the basics according to me.  It applies only to car camping, or camping in a campground close to your car.  Where most beginners start.  My situation is almost identical to yours

1.  Tent - I suggest a 6 person coleman.  Their instant-up tent seems to be what would work best for you.  https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-6-Person-Instant-Cabin-Tent/dp/B004E4ERHA/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1475026443&sr=1-1&keywords=coleman+instant+tent+6+person

2.  Sleep - Inflatable mattress.  I suggest 3 twins rather than a queen.  You're not going to get lucky with a 2yr old in the tent no matter how hard you try, don't ask how I know.  You can get sleeping bags, but quilts work just as good. Simple pillows, don't forget those.  If you want to try to merge backpacking gear with your car camping gear, get sleeping pads.

3.  Eat - Get a 2-burner gas stove.  Some can be had for $50, some can be found at garage sales or flea markets for much cheaper.  They're simple machines that either work or don't from the start.  Coleman and Primus are good brands.  Also, get some hard plastic plates/bowls/utensils.  Nothing fancy needed, but you don't want it melting when stirring.  Get at least one pot, you can bring from home, and one cast-iron skillet.  That should get you started.  Don't do what I did and buy a cheap non-stick skillet and leave it on the burner for any length of time because that stuff will melt right off.

4.  Light - Propane lantern or head lamps.  You'll want at least one head lamp for the group.  Coleman also makes little miniature lamps that look like the big propane ones. Great for kids and less than $5

View Quote

This was about where I was at  it's good to know I at least seem to have half a brain.

Thanks again guys for all of the info.

I have one more question which I think I already know the answer to but is there anywhere that you can just haul off and shoot while you're camping if you want to? Like in the Payson area...
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:07:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm on another Boy Scout camping trip here as I type. I decided not to bring the huge 8 person tent because it takes me too long to set up with just my 7 year old son. I spent $25 for a 4 person tent. It set up quickly, but it's not big enough for two cots. So I'm sitting here debating if I need a third tent and if I want to spent $$$ while a dozen 7,8,9, 10 year old ill mannered kids dance around here with flaming marshmallow sticks threatening to burn the whole place down.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:31:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This was about where I was at  it's good to know I at least seem to have half a brain.

I have one more question which I think I already know the answer to but is there anywhere that you can just haul off and shoot while you're camping if you want to? Like in the Payson area...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, most of the national forest you can.  Some high use area it is prohibited but there is good signage or if it is temp banned for fire reasons. Right now you should be good to go in Tonto(rim face on down) or coconino or apache sitgreaves(top of the rim)
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not going to carry this on my person so it can be big. In fact, unless you guys say not to, I'd rather have a bigger tent. I'm 6'9" so I'd like some room.

Besides the tent, what other items are must haves, that can all fit in a Wrangler Unlimited, that I need for the families first camping trip for two days one night?
View Quote

If you've got the vehicle to carry stuff, a big tent and an air mattress (or two) is quite nice.  Coleman has some self-inflating and deflating air mattresses that run off of D batteries.

Between me, the wife, the kids, and the dogs, we have three of the queen size self-inflating air mattresses, and a huge coleman tent that can fit all three mattresses with room to spare for gear.  As long as there's a big enough site to set the behemoth up, it's terrific for drive-up camping.

Water storage? How much? I'm figuring roughly two gallons per day per person. Is that outlandish?
View Quote

That's about right, although if the weather is hot and there is any chance of being stranded from a vehicle breakdown, etc., you may want to double that for safety.  The biggest key to keeping water usage down seems to be educating your family that they don't need a constant raging stream of water for washing hands and dishes.  

Food. How do I store foods that need refrigeration
View Quote

A cooler and some ice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top