Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2016 5:32:34 PM EDT
Hey guys,  I'm going hiking / camping in manistee national forest in the next 2 weeks. I plan on bringing my Glock 17 with for self defense ( ppl and animals )  my concern though is bears.  I know they are rare and afraid of ppl, but in the crazy event I do run into one I rather not do it with a 9mm.   I would rather carry a rifle for purely defense ( not hunting)  are you guys familiar with the forest in Michigan and if so any tips or know the specific rifle laws ?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't worry about bears
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:54:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I would just stick with the pistol for convenience.  You'll only run into trouble with the critters if you don't keep your camp cleaned up and food elevated or stored properly; especially at night.  I've heard some great things about Buffalobore's 9mm+P Hardcast "Outdoorsman" ammo.  Shoot a mag to check function and carry a mag; worry less about the big bad bears and enjoy yourself.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:00:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Leave the long gun at home you'll draw more attention than you want if there are other folks out on the trail and you'll be sorry for having to carry the extra weight. Take the handgun with the +P ammo listed above if you want something with you. I've hunted and camped in the U.P. for 30 years and have only seen three bears the whole time two of them were running across the road, separate occasions, and the third I got with the beam of a flashlight when it stole a bag of corn and ran passed me up the hill behind my camper. If the place you're going is populated or there are a lot of people out hiking and making noise you wont see any bear. Relax, have fun and enjoy the trip.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  I'll just bring the pistol and bear mace.  I enjoyed camping etc when I was a kid....then I joined the Marine corps infantry. And now my camping trips are not the same. I find myself self debating and always balancing on the line of fun and " gotta be ready so bring guns, knives, and have a detailed plan ".
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:31:20 AM EDT
[#6]
You can be prepared without over doing it. The thing is you take a chance no matter how well you prep and sometimes you just have to trust that the Goblin or woods creatures won't be there to cause any trouble and that what you have with you will do just fine. More for peace of mind than anything else.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Glock 17 should do just fine.

Funny story, a decade or so ago we camped in a pop-up camper in Manistee, right in the middle of nowhere. I woke up in the morning, and I thought I was having a bad dream. I kept hearing some kind of huffing... So, I wake up, sit up from the Dinette bed and look out past the mesh screen and see a bear next to the camper... That was kind of fun... Needless to say after a lot of yelling she managed to scatter off. Later we saw her again with two young cubs moving around in the Forrest a few hundred yards away.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:01:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Had a bear, near Lake Mitchell in the Manistee National forest, get into my hunting blind one year. Tore up my seat and got into the carrot bags in my uncles hunting blind as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top