Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2016 11:22:29 AM EDT
I was looking at pathfinder alcohol stove and a trangia. I am looking for something with a screw on lid so fuel can be contained after use. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my trangia. Cap screws on. I still take a pint bottle of alcohol. Also have this stand which i like because it collapses and fits in my pots with the stove and my spork. Only thing I need to get is a windbreak
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a trangia, though I don't use it that much.  I'd use a Firebox Nano with it.

If you use a stove enough you'll find that you can measure the appropriate amount of fuel, negating the need for a screw top lid.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both. The Pathfinder version is just a bigger trangia.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a trangia, though I don't use it that much.  I'd use a Firebox Nano with it.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcoolstuffforcamping.com%2Fimage%2Fcache%2Fdata%2FFireBoxStove%2Fnano-spirit-burner-3-800x800-800x800.jpg&f=1

If you use a stove enough you'll find that you can measure the appropriate amount of fuel, negating the need for a screw top lid.
View Quote

you've gone full suspenders and belt right there
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:01:11 AM EDT
[#5]
numberous how tos on youtube for soda can and cat food can stoves
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
numberous how tos on youtube for soda can and cat food can stoves
View Quote

I tried that. my trangia works way better and is worth a few bucks to have one that works well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcoolstuffforcamping.com%2Fimage%2Fcache%2Fdata%2FFireBoxStove%2Fnano-spirit-burner-3-800x800-800x800.jpg&f=1

Are you saying you use a trangia without a pot stand?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I'd just use sticks and such if I was carrying a wood burner like that

(I happen to prefer a solo stove)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have this Esbit cookset which includes a Trangia-style burner with screw-on lid and snuffer, platform to use hexamine tablets, pot stand/windscreen, a 33.3 oz. pot, and 15.9 oz. pot that doubles as a lid. Weight empty is 14.7 oz. The pots and stand are hard anodized aluminum. Esbit also sells the alcohol burner separately.

It's a nice little setup.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have this Esbit cookset which includes a Trangia-style burner with screw-on lid and snuffer, platform to use hexamine tablets, pot stand/windscreen, a 33.3 oz. pot, and 15.9 oz. pot that doubles as a lid. Weight empty is 14.7 oz. The pots and stand are hard anodized aluminum. Esbit also sells the alcohol burner separately.

http://flintlock.org/pics/var/resizes/Bushcraft/080516/esbit1.jpg?m=1475200435

http://flintlock.org/pics/var/resizes/Bushcraft/080516/esbit2.jpg?m=1475200436

It's a nice little setup.
View Quote

I was gonna compliment you on this until I saw you boiling Vienna sausages.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 1:17:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Club soda cans and some wire + tubing.

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I went into REI asking if they had Transgia type stoves,  two different guys that worked there said they've never heard of anything like that before. I was like .

Amazon for the win.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#14]
My mostly current list of alcohol stoves. I'm sure I've missed some.

Cat Stove
Antigravity Gear Kathadin
Gram Weenie (not made anymore )
Brasslite
Venom
Vargo Triad
Packafeather XL
Trangia
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I went into REI asking if they had Transgia type stoves,  two different guys that worked there said they've never heard of anything like that before. I was like .

Amazon for the win.
View Quote

Ah, if you pronounced it like you spelled it, they may have thought you were looking for a transgender stove which would throw off anybody

It's funny you mention REI as I don't think I've ever seen an alcohol stove in an REI  They sell alcohol and alcohol specific fuel bottles, but I can't ever recall seeing an alcohol stove...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ah, if you pronounced it like you spelled it, they may have thought you were looking for a transgender stove which would throw off anybody

It's funny you mention REI as I don't think I've ever seen an alcohol stove in an REI  They sell alcohol and alcohol specific fuel bottles, but I can't ever recall seeing an alcohol stove...

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Amazon for the win.

ROCK6

My local REI carries/carried the Vargo titanium alky stove.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Amazon for the win.

ROCK6

My guess is they figure there's a lot more money to be made selling $100+ jetboils and isobutane canisters.  You piqued my curiosity, so I looked and they do list the Vargo Decagon on their website (my understanding is that's not even a very good stove), but it's not in stock anywhere near me.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been pondering getting a cheaper alcohol stove just to try one out if anyone can make a recommendation.  My trusty old MSR Whisperlight has been as 'ultralight' as I've gotten, but it's been my go-to since the early '90s
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:05:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By ROCK6

ROCK6
View Quote

Are you saying I cant buy a trangia that comes with a little pickle inside?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:50:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My guess is they figure there's a lot more money to be made selling $100+ jetboils and isobutane canisters.  You piqued my curiosity, so I looked and they do list the Vargo Decagon on their website (my understanding is that's not even a very good stove), but it's not in stock anywhere near me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, I noticed it on the website, but I don't think I've ever seen an alcohol stove in one of their stores (Atlanta area).  It makes sense as most are easily built or purchased for under $10.00...REI has to carry a titanium version that costs three-four times as much  To be honest, my wife bought one a while back and prefers the less expensive soda-can stove.

Quoted:
I've been pondering getting a cheaper alcohol stove just to try one out if anyone can make a recommendation.  My trusty old MSR Whisperlight has been as 'ultralight' as I've gotten, but it's been my go-to since the early '90s

I prefer the rivet-side jet stoves: Rivet-Side Jet The side jet stoves typically don't require a pot stand and you can place your pot directly over the stove once it's primed.

Another good, inexpensive stove: Top Jet Stove

Zelph has a wealth of info and his famous "fancy feast" stoves as well.

Trangia isn't lightweight, but they are great investment and good "learner" stove to experiment.

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top