Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2016 8:12:19 PM EDT
Had the hammock out today, so I thought I'd take a pic and describe the components.

This is a single layer Dream Hammock Sparrow in 2.2 oz Hex70-XL

It is suspended with something like this Dutchware setup. (Straps, Dutch Buckles, whoopie slings)

Tarp is a OES MacCat Deluxe

Sometimes I use a continuous tarp ridgeline, but here I'm using Dutch Stingerz on each side attached to Zing It around the trees.

Front tie outs are also Zing It rigged over Fizan trekking poles to create "porch mode"

Topquilt is a Hammock Gear Burrow 20

Underquilt is an Hammock Gear Incubator 20

Questions? Fire away.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice setup.

Love my hammockgear stuff. Surprised the MacCat fits it. How long is the Sparrow? I retired mine when I went to the 11' models.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a MacCat Ultra over an 11 foot hammock
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#3]
That makes more sense.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I really dig the front porch set up.  More versatile tarp is the next item to be purchased for my hammock set.  The Mac looks pretty well priced for its features
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really dig the front porch set up.  More versatile tarp is the next item to be purchased for my hammock set.  The Mac looks pretty well priced for its features
View Quote

It's well-priced, but OES is a one-man-show and that one man is like a one-man Botach. DON'T by anything from them that isn't in-stock and ready to ship.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's well-priced, but OES is a one-man-show and that one man is like a one-man Botach. DON'T by anything from them that isn't in-stock and ready to ship.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking from experience?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My experience was worse than that.

He shipped to me via USPS Priority.

Tracking showed delivered. Package was absolutely not delivered to me.  (not his fault)

But he didn't respond to a single email asking him to help resolve the situation such as provide a description of the packaging.

Package showed up a month later... who knows where the heck it had been.

But his standard MO is ZERO communication.

There's a freaking sticky in the OES subforum on HammockForums.net.

It reads:

OES makes great gear, but be sure to do your research so you know what to expect from the purchasing experience. For the past several years, OES customers have complained of lengthy wait times, promises not being kept, and poor communication throughout the entire process. Most say the quality of product they receive is outstanding, and many agree that the product was worth the wait. However, please do your own research in the OES subforum so you don't get caught off-guard and start your own thread, repeating what many others have said before you.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#8]
So he is like every 1911 smith.  But you will get your gear.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#9]
There's nothing as good as a rainy day hammock nap...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice setup! How do you like that Sparrow? Im 99% sure that will be my next hammock. Awesome design.

Looks familiar.

WBXLC
WB Superfly Tarp
HG 20° Burrow (Woodland)
HG 10° Incubator (Black)
2QZQ UQP  (Woodland)

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#11]
My hammock setup:

Dutchwear 11ft
Fronkey bugnet
Hammock Gear Incubator 20 degree under quilt
Jacks'R'Better Hudson River 25 degree top quilt
Warbonnet Superfly

Setup pretty fast with various Dutchwear bling
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Dutchware Hammock and suspension

Enlightened Equipment top quilt

Hammock Gear underquilt

Hammock gear 12' cuben fiber tarp

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's my gear for Idaho's Frank Church Wilderness last year.

Hammock: Dream Hammock Thunderbird with bugnet
Tarp: Arrowhead Equipment Toxaway
Top Quilt: Underground Quilts 50* Flight Jacket
Underquilt: Hammockgear 40* Incubator
Cover: Jacks R Better Weathershield (not sold anymore)

This is an excellent example of why I love hammocks. My buddies had a fun time trying to find places to put their tents. Rocks and inclines don't mean shit to me.

And my view.

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice setup! How do you like that Sparrow? Im 99% sure that will be my next hammock. Awesome design.

Looks familiar.

WBXLC
WB Superfly Tarp
HG 20° Burrow (Woodland)
HG 10° Incubator (Black)
2QZQ UQP  (Woodland)

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah307/sscott_54/06906671-1ed0-4827-9845-583f2ffa738b_zpsd93rnwcj.jpg

View Quote

I *really* like the Sparrow... I love that Dream Hammock innovates and pushes the market forward.

My next buy will be a Dutchware with the half net. Apparently Dutch will be releasing a full-net hammock soon
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here's my gear for Idaho's Frank Church Wilderness last year.

Hammock: Dream Hammock Thunderbird with bugnet
Tarp: Arrowhead Equipment Toxaway
Top Quilt: Underground Quilts 50* Flight Jacket
Underquilt: Hammockgear 40* Incubator
Cover: Jacks R Better Weathershield (not sold anymore)

This is an excellent example of why I love hammocks. My buddies had a fun time trying to find places to put their tents. Rocks and inclines don't mean shit to me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/frank-church/P1040982-800_zpstmhiomk3.jpg

And my view.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/Idaho/DSC_0245-2_zps2jzf4epk.jpg
View Quote

that's the big reason that I switched to 100% hammock after moving out here.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I *really* like the Sparrow... I love that Dream Hammock innovates and pushes the market forward.

My next buy will be a Dutchware with the half net. Apparently Dutch will be releasing a full-net hammock soon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks familiar.

WBXLC
WB Superfly Tarp
HG 20° Burrow (Woodland)
HG 10° Incubator (Black)
2QZQ UQP  (Woodland)

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah307/sscott_54/06906671-1ed0-4827-9845-583f2ffa738b_zpsd93rnwcj.jpg

Agreed about DH. Love the options they provide. Can sure get spendy if you keep adding zippers, pockets, quilt hooks, etc !

FYI there is a half wit on the EE over on HF
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:56:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Here's my DH thunderbird setup in the yard for trial.  Tarp and uq not pictured yet.  

Edit: picfail

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I've tried the "bunk-bed" approach (kid on top) on the last couple trips with the kids (4 and 6). We can share a tarp/shelter and they're close to me when things at night get "scary" (after having to share my hammock with them on more than one occasion). Anyone else done this? Tips? Still trying to work out some of the set-ups
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:04:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Great setup!  I used Dutchware's Halfwit this past spring/summer and loved it.  It's rarely buggy (surprising) on the southern part of the AT, so I was able to cut a few ounces but still have plenty of coverage if needed.

Dutchware Halfwit with whoopee sling and tree straps*
Hammock Gear Cuben-Fiber Hex fly (in camo of course!)
Hammock Gear Burrow 50

I do have a JRB under-quilt, but it won't see the pack until temps dip below 50 at night.

The Burrow 50 was perfect to really cut weight and still provide enough insulation for summer trips.  I think the coldest night was in the upper 50's on one shorter trip, but I was perfectly comfortable.  Instead of the under quilt, I use a section of Z-Rest (folding) sleeping pad in my hammock which works enough from butt to shoulders.

*I tried some of Dutch's Kevlar Tree Hugger straps, again, thinking I could cut some grams...big mistake.  These are really thin straps, so thin I actually kept a backup, regular nylon webbing strap with my hammock (so much for saving weight!).  I use Dutchware's titanium Dutch Clips for the tree straps and if you're not extremely careful, you can easily punch a hole and start a tear in those Kevlar straps.  Long story short, I had an embarrassing tree strap failure, with a no-notice break.  My only caution is if you use those Kevlar tree straps, be extremely careful when setting them up and if you get any sign of a tear, switch them out.  I really don't recommend these straps; this is one time, gram-counting isn't the best option.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I have done the double stack thing
with my son. For not only when he
might get scared, but it allowed us to
carry one less tarp on one of our
tougher hikes where weight was a
concern.

My days of carrying a tent are long past,
unless I can drive a vehicle to the camp
site along with an air mattress & an
electric air pump!

Great thread.

John

Quoted:
I've tried the "bunk-bed" approach (kid on top) on the last couple trips with the kids (4 and 6). We can share a tarp/shelter and they're close to me when things at night get "scary" (after having to share my hammock with them on more than one occasion). Anyone else done this? Tips? Still trying to work out some of the set-ups
<a href="http://s1117.photobucket.com/user/skinnerfam3/media/5278ade7-3799-479f-a3d3-3ee22f70e269_zpsxikkbxi8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k597/skinnerfam3/5278ade7-3799-479f-a3d3-3ee22f70e269_zpsxikkbxi8.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#21]
actually slept in the hammock last night!

went down to 38 with a light breeze... completely toasty

doing a 3-day trip later in the week
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

<...>

*I tried some of Dutch's Kevlar Tree Hugger straps, again, thinking I could cut some grams...big mistake.  These are really thin straps, so thin I actually kept a backup, regular nylon webbing strap with my hammock (so much for saving weight!).  I use Dutchware's titanium Dutch Clips for the tree straps and if you're not extremely careful, you can easily punch a hole and start a tear in those Kevlar straps.  Long story short, I had an embarrassing tree strap failure, with a no-notice break.  My only caution is if you use those Kevlar tree straps, be extremely careful when setting them up and if you get any sign of a tear, switch them out.  I really don't recommend these straps; this is one time, gram-counting isn't the best option.

ROCK6
View Quote

This makes me a little nervous, especially if your setup over the top of rocks like pictured above.  I've got a set of those kevlar straps + a dutch buckle, but I'd never heard of this happening.  You don't happen to have a picture of it do you?  Is this pretty common?

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This makes me a little nervous, especially if your setup over the top of rocks like pictured above.  I've got a set of those kevlar straps + a dutch buckle, but I'd never heard of this happening.  You don't happen to have a picture of it do you?  Is this pretty common?

View Quote

I'll have to see if I still the strap as I was going to take a picture and send it to Dutch.  Part of the problem was me.  When putting up the tree straps, you just really have to be careful not to catch the strap on the Dutch clip where the "gate" poked right thru the webbing and made a nasty tear.  I can't remember if I was tired or just careless, but it caused me to lose all confidence in those straps.  Even after I replaced the broke one, I still had the other one on and every night, I was just waiting for it to fail and me to crash into the dirt  The Kevlar straps are just more sensitive to punctures or slight tears than regular webbing.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Great setup!  I used Dutchware's Halfwit this past spring/summer and loved it.  It's rarely buggy (surprising) on the southern part of the AT, so I was able to cut a few ounces but still have plenty of coverage if needed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Hiking%202016/DSCF0183_zps29nkukmp.jpg

Dutchware Halfwit with whoopee sling and tree straps*

Hammock Gear Cuben-Fiber Hex fly (in camo of course!)

Hammock Gear Burrow 50

I do have a JRB under-quilt, but it won't see the pack until temps dip below 50 at night.

The Burrow 50 was perfect to really cut weight and still provide enough insulation for summer trips.  I think the coldest night was in the upper 50's on one shorter trip, but I was perfectly comfortable.  Instead of the under quilt, I use a section of Z-Rest (folding) sleeping pad in my hammock which works enough from butt to shoulders.

ROCK6
View Quote
Are you using the kevlar straps with cinch buckles? [Never mind, re-read your post and see you're using whoopies]  I've heard dutch doesn't recommend that, but some people have used them with good results.  He has a new "Dyneema / Polypro" strap listed on his website.  I might try those when the ones I have wear out.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Are you using the kevlar straps with cinch buckles?[/span] [Never mind, re-read your post and see you're using whoopies]  I've heard dutch doesn't recommend that, but some people have used them with good results.  He has a new "Dyneema / Polypro" strap listed on his website.  I might try those when the ones I have wear out.
View Quote

No, I was using them with a toggle, only because I was concerned about the tight cinch directly from the whoopee sling loop.  I just think it was me being careless, any punctures to the webbing can really compromise the breaking strength.  I just went back to regular webbing (might try the dyneema/poly straps), a few extra grams really helps my sleeping at night

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top