Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2016 1:22:45 PM EDT
Got a nice little $100 gift card for REI the other day and I'm trying to burn a hole in my pocket.  The only thing I need now for backpacking is either a tent, or a bug net/tarp.

Trying to choose between tents.
REI Passage 2 Tent -
Pro: Excellent reviews and almost everyone seems to love it.  
Con:  Doesn't come with a footprint, which costs $25 extra

Marmot Limelight 2p
Pro:  Brand new tent, comes with footprint.  Supposed to go on sale this week and come down to $185.  Tried it at the store and it seemed a lot wider than the Passage2, although the dimensions seem to be the same.
Con:  Not a lot of reviews for a new tent, some seem so-so.  Weighs just under a full-pound more than the Passage2.

Or, I could finish out my hammock. I've got an Eno.  Just need a tarp and a bug net. Problem is, if I want to camp with my kid or wife, I have to get them a tarp and bug net also.  Bug nets are currently $60 and I can probably get a rainfly for around $40.  ETA:  I also don't have an under-quilt, so that might be an extra expense I don't want to pay.

What would you'all do?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You ddnt say why you picked those two.  I am partial to big agnes so I would pick this.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/103521/big-agnes-tumble-2-mtnglo-tent
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You ddnt say why you picked those two.  I am partial to big agnes so I would pick this.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/103521/big-agnes-tumble-2-mtnglo-tent
View Quote

Cost, mostly.  Trying to stay under $185, which is the highest those tents will cost.  Also, the tent in your link has only one door vs. 2 for the others.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Given your store and cost restrictions, those are both decent choices.  We have a similar (older) style Marmot 2P tent and it's a little heavy and stuffy IMO, but bulletproof.  REI makes good tents.  The Quarter Dome is very well regarded, but I see that's outside your budget.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Got a nice little $100 gift card for REI the other day and I'm trying to burn a hole in my pocket.  The only thing I need now for backpacking is either a tent, or a bug net/tarp.

REI Passage 2 Tent -

Marmot Limelight 2p
Pro:  Brand new tent, comes with footprint.  Supposed to go on sale this week and come down to $185.  Tried it at the store and it seemed a lot wider than the Passage2, although the dimensions seem to be the same.
Con:  Not a lot of reviews for a new tent, some seem so-so.  Weighs just under a full-pound more than the Passage2.

Or, I could finish out my hammock. I've got an Eno.  Just need a tarp and a bug net. Problem is, if I want to camp with my kid or wife, I have to get them a tarp and bug net also.  Bug nets are currently $60 and I can probably get a rainfly for around $40.  ETA:  I also don't have an under-quilt, so that might be an extra expense I don't want to pay.

What would you'all do?
View Quote

Those are both pretty heavy for backpacking.  Is this primarily going to be a camping tent or backpacking tent?  

Skip the store bought footprint and find some tyvek. If you can't source it locally from some helpful contractor you can get it on ebay.

You said you are looking at completing hammock set up as well? Are you already geared up for tent camping? Like bag and pad? If not I would suggest focusing on one or the other rather than having a half completed set of two shelter systems.

I balled  on a budget for my hammock set up with the Yukon Outdoors stuff via WOOT and that got me on the trail with a reasonable weight. I am in the process of building up a lightweight backpacking tent set up but that is much more $$ intensive from what I can see to get the right weights.

If you haven't already; pay for the REI membership. They send out coupon codes pretty regularly for 20%.  You will make up the 20 bucks it costs with a quickness, not to mention the ease of returns and such.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Basically everything USMC6177 said, plus this:

I like polycro for ground sheets. I think the weight and performance is similar to tyvek, but it's easier to source locally in small quantities. In any case, forget the shaped footprints.

There are loads of tent options in that price and size range. Just bear in mind that a 2-person backpacking tent will be very, very snug with two adults and a child in it.
I've had 2 Sierra Designs 2-person tents (old Lightning and current Flashlight 2), and I've loved them both. My brother has an MSR Fast Stash, and that's also a neat 2-person shelter.

Here's what I'd do: get both.

You won't want to carry a tent big enough for all 3 while you're on a solo trip, and you won't want to sleep 3 people in a 2-person backpacking tent.
For solo camping: Finish out your hammock setup with a homemade bug net + ridgeline for $20 or so, plus a cheap amazon or woot tarp. The yukon walkabout fly is decent and very cheap, if a bit small. For colder weather, sleep on a pad and make a wind break under-hammock out of a dri ducks poncho.

For family camping: decide if you're really backpacking as a group. If so, haunt Steep and Cheap, Campmor, Woot, etc for a tent. Find one with a separate rain fly so you can make your wife carry half the weight. If you're car camping, just buy a cheap Coleman or whatever for $50.

You'll eventually have a dozen shelters anyway, might as well get started now
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Basically everything USMC6177 said, plus this:

I like polycro for ground sheets. I think the weight and performance is similar to tyvek, but it's easier to source locally in small quantities. In any case, forget the shaped footprints.

There are loads of tent options in that price and size range. Just bear in mind that a 2-person backpacking tent will be very, very snug with two adults and a child in it.
I've had 2 Sierra Designs 2-person tents (old Lightning and current Flashlight 2), and I've loved them both. My brother has an MSR Fast Stash, and that's also a neat 2-person shelter.

Here's what I'd do: get both.

You won't want to carry a tent big enough for all 3 while you're on a solo trip, and you won't want to sleep 3 people in a 2-person backpacking tent.
For solo camping: Finish out your hammock setup with a homemade bug net + ridgeline for $20 or so, plus a cheap amazon or woot tarp. The yukon walkabout fly is decent and very cheap, if a bit small. For colder weather, sleep on a pad and make a wind break under-hammock out of a dri ducks poncho.

For family camping: decide if you're really backpacking as a group. If so, haunt Steep and Cheap, Campmor, Woot, etc for a tent. Find one with a separate rain fly so you can make your wife carry half the weight. If you're car camping, just buy a cheap Coleman or whatever for $50.

You'll eventually have a dozen shelters anyway, might as well get started now
View Quote

Figured tyvek was a little more durable and he clearly isn't looking to go ultralight

I am budget minded so a few extra oz to ensure whatever the investment I drop on my tent (thinking BA's Flycreek HV UL2) will be protected from errant damage due to me missing some stick or rock is something I am ok with.

I have the walkabout fly and agree that it is on the small side. Any sort of real rain/wind combo require you to hang low and reef it down.  I managed to get the syth UQ that they make for under 50 bucks so I use that. It's on the heavy side but for the price its a goddamn furnace. I use a jungle blanket as OQ and I have to be in my skivvys or sweat to death anything over 50 degrees.

OP maybe look at the hammock set up for yourself then use REI giftcard for other stuff that you would be more likely to  use both camping and backpacking. Troll labor day sales for a larger(read heavier) cheaper car camping tent.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#7]
This tent is for me backpacking either single, or with one other person.  We have a car camping tent used for family outings.

Not really concerned with weight, since I only plan on being out for 1-2 nights tops.  Not a big packpacker, just want to get out sometimes.

REI member.  Have had some incredible savings over the past year with it.

Just got a PDF email that shows what to expect on the Labor Day Sale.  The Marmot tent w/ footprint is dropping to $185 and the Passage 2 is dropping to $115.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This tent is for me backpacking either single, or with one other person.  We have a car camping tent used for family outings.

Not really concerned with weight, since I only plan on being out for 1-2 nights tops.  Not a big packpacker, just want to get out sometimes.

Just got a PDF email that shows what to expect on the Labor Day Sale.  The Marmot tent w/ footprint is dropping to $185 and the Passage 2 is dropping to $115.  
View Quote

In that case, you really can't go wrong with either tent. I'd grab the passage and stick a polycro (window film, not painters drop cloth) footprint under it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#9]
If you don't care about weight just grab a harbor freight blue tarp for ground cloth
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#10]
The marmot will feel MUCH roomier(3rd pole makes walls more vertical) for only 4oz more on the trail weight side.  Both are excellent tents, but I err on the side of room when they are similar in every other way.  Not the biggest fan of footprints, the are usually way heavier than they need to be and really dont offer much protection other than a moisture barrier.  Tyvek, spinnaker, or polycryo are the better options.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Hmm, did some more looking around, still narrowed down to these two tents.  

Now I got to looking at vestibule area.  The reviews for the Marmot say the rainfly doesn't come all the way down to the ground so your gear may get wet.  It also says it's 9.5/6.7 square feet.  

The REI Passage 2's vestibule area says it's 18.75sf and pics of it look like it doesn't go down to the ground either. I'm guessing that's adding both vestibules together.  If I did that for the Marmot, it would be

REI:  18.75sf
Marmot:  16.2sf.  

The Marmot is going to be about $80 more.  Is the extra headspace going to be worth it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Durka -

Is the Marmot worth more?

Humm....

I just bought a Marmot Tungsten (very similar to the Limelight design). Solid and well made. Marmots semi-vertical side walls provide TONS of room because you can sit right up near the sides. I would buy another Marmot - no problem....

The Limelight has huge doors that would make it easier to get in and out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#13]
No experience with either of those tents but I recently bought a REI Half Dome 4. Very well designed, well thought out tent. Easy set up, great ventilation, two doors/vestibules. Couldn't be happier with if.

It's supposed to be a four person tent, but you would definitely be rubbing shoulders with four people sleeping in it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#14]
This is where we turn to youtube so you get a feel for them.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Decided on the Marmot.  Main factor being the extra space.  It's now been pitched in the living room and I believe the cat is trying to make a home in it.  About to kill the cat.  

I sat in both at REI.  Both had the exact same dimensions all around, as well as weight when you add the footprint.  The Marmot just had so much more space in it vs. the Passage2.  It's almost too big.  The difference the bent poles made were huge.  

Can't wait to try it out in the wild, but not for a while because it's so damn hot/humid all I want is air conditioning at the moment.  91deg and 72% humidity = 111deg heat index.  No thank you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I sold the crap out of limelight 2p's years ago when they first came out.. it is a SOLID tent.  It hits the quality/features for price-point very well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

REI Passage 2 Tent -

Marmot Limelight 2p

What would you'all do?
View Quote

I have a Marmot Tungsten 3P (which is an upgraded Limelight) and it's an amazing tent. Setup is a breeze and it's fairly sturdy and durable. It had all of the features I wanted in a tent of this style (there are several manufacturers making very similar tents) except for a gear loft. Not the lightest tent by any means but it's comfortable and roomy with very good features. My only real complaints are that they don't have it available in a light brown color and I wish the tent poles had shorter sections as they are still a little long when disassembled.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a Marmot Tungsten 3P (which is an upgraded Limelight) and it's an amazing tent. Setup is a breeze and it's fairly sturdy and durable. It had all of the features I wanted in a tent of this style (there are several manufacturers making very similar tents) except for a gear loft. Not the lightest tent by any means but it's comfortable and roomy with very good features. My only real complaints are that they don't have it available in a light brown color and I wish the tent poles had shorter sections as they are still a little long when disassembled.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I agree, I like the openness of the mesh top, and it seems pretty sturdy. (haven't taken it out just yet.  The crappiest part, and I knew this going in, is that the poles seem a bit too long.  That wouldn't be such a problem but the cross pole, when folded and packed, is about 8" longer than everything else.  I was able to pack it down pretty good, but that cross pole stuck out way too far.  It even sticks out the top of my backpack, to the point where I'm afraid it'll snag and rip something in the top brain bag.  Fortunately, it's not required for setup and I can leave it at home if I need to.

Oh, and when packed, the stuff sack is a lot bigger than it needs to be.  I can get this sucker down to about 60% of what it was originally packed as, and a lot thinner too, but I needed to get some compression straps from REI ($3) to do so.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#19]
How about the Kelty TN2? Good reviews
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had such good use from REI tents I'm inclined to say go with REI.  I'm still using a 22 year-old half dome for 2-person trips and the family has been using a floor-sample Kingdom 6 for several seasons now with no issues.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

In that case, you really can't go wrong with either tent. I'd grab the passage and stick a polycro (window film, not painters drop cloth) footprint under it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For my solo hiking I cut up an old shower curtain to make a footprint for my Eueka! Backcountry tent.  Pretty thick plastic and didn't cost a thing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

REI Passage 2 Tent -

Marmot Limelight 2p

What would you'all do?
View Quote

I have the Passage 2 tent. Bought one for my son also. I'm 6 ft. and my son also. Before 2nd tent was bought, my son and I snowed camped. It held well for 3 season. Both us pretty snug for 2 man. will buy another for my daughter. It holds all the gear comfortably with 1 person sleeping. I bought for the back pack. yes a little heavy.

Marmot is a great brand also and would not think that it would have issues. I think you will be happy with either tent.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#23]
All 3 of the ones mentioned above are good tents but about a pound heavier than what I use.  The one I use has been out for a while and is not the newest design.  It has been highly rated by backpacker mag. for over 5 years.  In the last month I have done one 3 day wilderness backpack trip and a 9 day bike pack trip of 382 miles.  Over the years that I have had it it has handled strong wind and storms and winter camping. It is not recommended as a 4 season tent but has not been bad. It is very small for 2 people but is great for one plus gear.  It would be cheaper than any of the 3 above.

I do not use a footprint because of the weight.  I have found this tent to be dry in very heavy rain. My personal opinion is that it is about the best tent under $300. When I bought it it was on sale for $129.

https://www.rei.com/product/880822/kelty-salida-2-tent

The only drawback if I can see is if you plan to have 2 people it will be very tight.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:00:08 AM EDT
[#24]
6 Moons trekker can be had for under 200.00, 1p 24ounces the 2P I believe is 34oz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top