Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2016 12:03:22 PM EDT
At less than $25 HAMMOCK where could I go wrong?

So that's why I'm asking 'where could I go wrong'?

I now have the Snugpak All Weather Shelter (a 10x10 tarp) THIS.  I figured for $55 it would be worth it for many things, including hammock coverage.

Online videos reveal that the included strapping for the hammock is paracord and therefore very stretchy.  But that's ok to start.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not recommend using the included like at all. At 200 pounds I sank to the ground overnight in it with the included lines. Another problem I saw is that you would have to find a way to repel the mosquitoes in a buggy environment. On my trip with it I had bug bites all over my back because they would bite through the bottom of the hammock. If you replaced the lines and found a way to treat it for the mosquitoes I think it would be a great hammock.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not recommend using the included like at all. At 200 pounds I sank to the ground overnight in it with the included lines. Another problem I saw is that you would have to find a way to repel the mosquitoes in a buggy environment. On my trip with it I had bug bites all over my back because they would bite through the bottom of the hammock. If you replaced the lines and found a way to treat it for the mosquitoes I think it would be a great hammock.
View Quote

Probably nylon which stretches like a bitch. Go with polypro straps and use amsteel for the actual hammock suspension.

Skeeters are one reason I favor double-layer hammocks in FL. I also treat everything with permethrin. I had similar experiences early on and remember waking up with my knee looking like a topo relief map because it'd been pressed against some untreated material. I make sure every inch is treated now and live the high life.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here is the punchline:

I am 6'1" 200#s.

I have a Snugpack jungle hammock to keep the skeeters off me during the summer months. The 550 cord that comes with the hammock is OK but if you are going to use your hammock with any frequency, I would replace the 550 good quality straps.

I replaced my Snugpack hammok and ENO double lines with these:

LiteSpeed 11 ft. Hammock Tree Straps With Climber-rated Wiregate Carabiners Included- Easy, Adjustable Cinch Buckle System. No More Loops. Strong, Lightweight, Pure Polyester.
by WildHorn Outfitters

I got them off Amazon, and they make setting up the hammock super fast, and simple. They are high quality and I should have got them sooner. Price was reasonable too.

I was just  using mine with my ENO at about 10K in the Lost River Range of Idaho in June:

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
right through the solid nylon ....... that's a new one lol.

I was out near Ocala Natl Pk this past weekend and it seems that permethrin treated items work as advertised.

Picardin (for the skin) seemed equally effective and held up to it's billing that it does nothing to gear the way DEET could.

Giving the pricing for the hammock and the LiteSpeed strap system it seems like a decent start for hanging.  

I already have a Snugpak All Weather Shelter; ie: a 10x10 tarp with loops in the right places lol.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]

The Hennessy hammock site talks a lot about jungle usage and covers single vs double fabric very well.  

I took a single layer Hennessy to Laos for a solo 300 mile kayak trip down the Mekong.  I treated my hammock, a baseball hat, pair of long pants and LS shirt and did pretty well with the mosquitoes.  It was the dry season though.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
right through the solid nylon ....... that's a new one lol.
View Quote

Unfortunately they have zero problem getting through it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top