Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2016 12:13:47 AM EDT
I've got a 2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700, and I'm looking at getting another ATV.

I mostly use my ATVs for trail riding in the high mountains in summer, hunting in the fall, and plowing the driveway in winter. The Grizzly is a big and powerful bike, so it can continue to do the plowing if needed.

What I'm looking for:
Max gas mileage/range in 4WD
Max ground clearance
I don't need all the power my Grizzly has. I'd prefer a smaller/lighter ATV that can still get the job done. I'm guessing any 400-550CC ATV is adequate.

I'd prefer new, but if there's a proven/great ATV that is out there I'd do used.

Budget is around $6,000 or less.

I've been looking at the new Arctic Cat Alterra. It seems there aren't a lot of manufacorers making ATVs in this size/price range.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 12:40:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Honda 420 rancher.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 12:52:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honda 420 rancher.
View Quote

The 4X4 model would stretch my budget a bit. Especially after dealer fees and taxes.

Honda makes awesome stuff. My family had the old fourtrex Hondas growing up. They were pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 2:00:34 AM EDT
[#3]
A new (2016) Grizzly 700 or the Kodiak 700 (same motor and trans as the Grizzy but a slightly smaller frame, and clutched to be more mellow power delivery).

Yamaha > any other brand

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 2:08:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A new (2016) Grizzly 700 or the Kodiak 700 (same motor and trans as the Grizzy but a slightly smaller frame, and clutched to be more mellow power delivery).

Yamaha > any other brand

View Quote

I've seen similar replies from others stating that Yamaha is the greatest...What makes Yamaha so great or better?

It also seems silly to pay for a full size 700 when a medium size 450-550 will do just fine.

I have a Grizzly. It's been pretty good to me, except the stator went out due to a poor design. Yamaha didn't recall and fix the design flaw. They just fucked those of us who bought it over, and fixed the design in future models.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I paid $5600 for mine in December.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#6]
" />
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks at the Suzuki King Quad 400ASi. Bought one a few years ago. AFAIK Suzuki still does 0% financing, and you can pick up a last years model in your budget. It's been a great machine and is small/light enough for the right trails.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't help OP, but you can help me, maybe.

I have an option to buy a 2007 Grizzly 700. It is owned by an old man who has taken very good care of it. It reads 1400 miles on the odometer.

Are you pleased with your Grizzly? Any issues? He wants $3500 for it which seems a bit high for a used atv, but it looks brand new. Not even a scratch.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

What city/state?

I'm guessing that late Dec or early Jan is the best time to buy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have an option to buy a 2007 Grizzly 700. It is owned by an old man who has taken very good care of it. It reads 1400 miles on the odometer.

Are you pleased with your Grizzly? Any issues? He wants $3500 for it which seems a bit high for a used atv, but it looks brand new. Not even a scratch.
View Quote

The Grizzly is a monster. Tons of power.

It has been great with one exception: That year of Grizzly came with a design flaw. The stator cover didn't have enough room to circulate enough oil to cool the stator. The result is the factory stator will eventually burn up, and you will be on battery power until it is replaced. The repair is about $250-$300 in parts and $250-$300 in labor to replace the stator and get the new style of cover.

I'd ask the guy if he has replaced the stator. If he says he has, I'd ask if he replaced the cover. Many people replace the stator, but don't upgrade the cover.

Also, you can look up Grizzly forums, and ask your question there. There are probably lots of people who know more than I do.

I'm not an expert on what they are worth. NADA suggests mine is worth $3,700 to $4,900. On Craigslist, people seem to be asking $4,000 to $4,500 here. I think $3,500 is a pretty good price. I can't find any decent bike that isn't worn out for sale that cheap around here. Even if he hasn't fixed the stator issue, it isn't a bad deal. If he has, it's a very good deal.

I got an amazing deal on mine, I paid $4,500 in 2011.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 only because they do not make the 350 anymore
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#13]
From where I sit if ATV is the question Honda is the answer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Rooster
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#15]
The Arctic Cat would be an insanely stupid, regretable purchase.  The Kodiak 700 is a bargain, and I routinely see them advertised for under $6k.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Arctic Cat would be an insanely stupid, regretable purchase.  The Kodiak 700 is a bargain, and I routinely see them advertised for under $6k.
View Quote

Why is arctic cat so horrible? Have you owned one or know people that do?

You see them advertised for under $6K new? I guess the cheapest Kodiak MSRP is $7,000 so it isn't impossible to find them for 15% off.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do.  The guy is a welder by trade, and let's just say it's a good thing - because he's had to weld the frame on his cat numerous times.

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I do.  The guy is a welder by trade, and let's just say it's a good thing - because he's had to weld the frame on his cat numerous times.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen a fair share of bad reviews of AC ATVs. A significant percentage of the limited number of complaints I reviewed was for blown head gaskets and engines on new machines.

I've done a little more research, and the mid size Arctic Cats are new designs this year. I don't want to be a part of that learning experiment.

It seems the rest of the web agrees that Honda and Yamaha are the most reliable. I'm in no hurry to buy, so I'll swing by a dealer one day after work and compare the Rancher vs the Kodiak.

Thanks for the feedback here.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It has been great with one exception: That year of Grizzly came with a design flaw. The stator cover didn't have enough room to circulate enough oil to cool the stator. The result is the factory stator will eventually burn up, and you will be on battery power until it is replaced. The repair is about $250-$300 in parts and $250-$300 in labor to replace the stator and get the new style of cover.

I'd ask the guy if he has replaced the stator. If he says he has, I'd ask if he replaced the cover. Many people replace the stator, but don't upgrade the cover.

Also, you can look up Grizzly forums, and ask your question there. There are probably lots of people who know more than I do.

I'm not an expert on what they are worth. NADA suggests mine is worth $3,700 to $4,900. On Craigslist, people seem to be asking $4,000 to $4,500 here. I think $3,500 is a pretty good price. I can't find any decent bike that isn't worn out for sale that cheap around here. Even if he hasn't fixed the stator issue, it isn't a bad deal. If he has, it's a very good deal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can replace and upgrade by yourself.  Pressing the water pump seal requires a special tool.  If you look at the cover and there is a small tube running from top to bottom, then it has been upgraded.

I did mine in a few hours.  Make sure you get new gaskets and seals.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You can replace and upgrade by yourself.  Pressing the water pump seal requires a special tool.  If you look at the cover and there is a small tube running from top to bottom, then it has been upgraded.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought about doing it myself, but it would take me forever. I'm a shitty mechanic, and everything takes me way longer than it should. I looked up some instructions and parts lists and got the feeling this job would be a real shitshow for me. There's plenty of guys who do it, and say it isn't bad. They are probably better mechanics than I am.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 1:28:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my Grizzly 450. If you are ever in Arkansas, I'll gladly sell it to you. The 450 is all I'll ever need. I like the 700s but I would never use the power. IRS is super smooth. True lockers.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 2:46:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought my AC 650 V2 new in 2006.
has been a fantastic wheeler.
used daily, farm/ranch work, plowing the drive way, lots of trail riding, off roading, mudding.
I have had to replace one CV axel, and did the fuel lines a couple years ago.
that's over 10 years of hard use.
very well thought out machines, I believe they are still the only wheelers where the Winch
mounts directly to the frame vs needing an adaptor.
the air intake is up high just under the handle bars to get you through deep stuff.
the belt housing is self draining.
still near the top for ground clearance and wheel travel
manual locking front diff.

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Going from a Yamaha to an Arctic Cat would be like going from a Colt to a Kel-Tec.

How many miles/hours you got on that Cat?
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What city/state?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What city/state?

The Dalles Oregon and the plow is coming this winter.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Going from a Yamaha to an Arctic Cat would be like going from a Colt to a Kel-Tec.

How many miles/hours you got on that Cat?
View Quote

IV ridden my buddies Yamaha, wasn't really impressed.
Don't know the miles off hand. Couldn't even guess.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Couldn't have said it any better.  

I bleed red and blue...Honda and Yamaha are really all you need to know for 4 wheels in the dirt.  

Honda - Reliability, work, play - in that order.
Yamaha - Play, reliability, work - in that order.

My last two were a Foreman 450s and a Raptor 700R-SE
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've got a 2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700, and I'm looking at getting another ATV.

I mostly use my ATVs for trail riding in the high mountains in summer, hunting in the fall, and plowing the driveway in winter. The Grizzly is a big and powerful bike, so it can continue to do the plowing if needed.

What I'm looking for:
Max gas mileage/range in 4WD
Max ground clearance
I don't need all the power my Grizzly has. I'd prefer a smaller/lighter ATV that can still get the job done. I'm guessing any 400-550CC ATV is adequate.

I'd prefer new, but if there's a proven/great ATV that is out there I'd do used.

Budget is around $6,000 or less.

I've been looking at the new Arctic Cat Alterra. It seems there aren't a lot of manufacorers making ATVs in this size/price range.
View Quote

It's going to be a challenge to find what you want, new, for $6k or less.  I'd almost go with the Kodiak 700 because of the bang-for-the-buck you get with it.  Use it for hunting and plowing, and use the Grizz for trail riding.  

Can-Am has a Outlander 450 for around $6k.  
The Rancher is great, at a touch over $6k.  It is solid axle, which would hurt your requirement of max ground clearance (I actually prefer a solid axle).
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 2:12:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Bump
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Honda rancher or grizzly 450 would be my choices.  I had a 2006 grizzly 660 and it was great, but would overheat in the summer pulling a bush hog.  Ended up with a 2007 Foreman and it has been great.  I buy my atv used and wait and wait until you find that gem at a good price.  It took me about 8 months before I found a good deal on a yamaha bruin for my wife.

I only buy Honda or Yamaha.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#30]
If you don't have 20,000 miles on the grizzly then change then put the updated cover on. If you are plowing snow the a heavier machine is better.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you don't have 20,000 miles on the grizzly then change then put the updated cover on. If you are plowing snow the a heavier machine is better.
View Quote

I put the cover on it. It was always the plan to keep my Grizzly 700. I just want another 4 wheeler for my wife, kids and dad to trail ride and hunt with. I'm really leaning toward the Rancher. The local dealer had one. Price tag of $7,5000. Fuck that. I walked out. I'll start looking hard around December. I've heard great things about the Foremans.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I was similarly looking for something along your criteria a few years ago. Perused the internet and pretty much settled on a Honda or Can Am....heavily leaning towards the Honda. When I went to the dealership (had many brands) I wound up going with the Can Am 400 Outlander Max. What sold me was the extended wheelbase and the setup for 2 riders. My wife doesn't go with me often, but when she does she finds the rear seat very comfortable, and when I'm out on some of the more difficult trails I really like the additional 9 (or so) inches of length. Seems to make it more stable.

Everything I read about the 400 Can Am engine put it in a power class with other manufactures 500's, which I really wasn't concerned with more power...but sometimes it's nice. Easily pushes snow when it's asked to. (pushing Wyoming snow is like pushing those white packing peanuts, not too hard!)

With the exception of an ignition switch issue (wound up costing about $60.00 to fix, and that was with me getting an extra chipped key), it has been a great reliable machine. It never left me stranded with the ignition problem, I got it fixed before it got to that.

Salesman made a good point when I was bouncing back and forth on Honda vs Can Am. He asked me how many old ranchers I knew with old Hondas around the ranch. Well, I knew lots of them when I thought about it. They just seem to run and run and run, and so far....so has my Can Am. I bought it in 2013 and with a rebate paid about $6,100 for it.

Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Are the Polaris ATVs not well liked?

I have a crew UTV and love it

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just not the "in" machine on ARFCOM.
Almost everyone around my area runs Polaris or AC including state patrol and DNR.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I just retired my Arctic Cat 650v2 for a Polaris 570 camo.
I got a 2016 closeout for $5500 before tax !

It is like a supercharged Cadillac compared to my 650.
I did a ton of research and I am more than happy with my purchase
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Here's mine. It's a bit old school;

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Almost everyone around my area runs Polaris or AC including state patrol and DNR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm very hesitant about the new arctic cat, because they are new models. I hate for my purchases to be funding R&D experiments. I guess I could say that reliability is my top priority, not fancy new features.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Suzuki king quad 500. I have a 450 KQ and it's pretty darn peppy and goes anywhere the big bores go.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:55:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Honda vs Yamaha vs Polaris vs Suzuki vs Kawasaki vs ArcticCat vs Colt vs Glock vs S&W vs Remington vs Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge vs Mac vs PC vs AR15 vs AK47....

Its all personal preference and usage.

Some manufactures make better sport ATVs, some make nice refined comfortable trail riding rigs, while other make tried and true work machines for extended us around the farm or homestead.

Just like buying a car, truck, or SUV; no brand is right or wrong just what you like, want or need.

I have owned most of the major brands in the form of four or two wheels and they all have their pluses and minuses.  

In the end I am probably a Honda fan for general usage around the homestead when it comes to a utility ATV...  I currently have two Hondas, a '99 foreman with over 3k miles on it, and a '12 rancher that just works.  That said I had a Yamaha Blaster growing up and couldn't kill the thing.  Should have never sold it.  I actually miss it.

six to one half a dozen the other.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top