Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2016 12:53:41 AM EDT
I hope I'm asking in the right place.

My wife & I are planning on a road trip next month...with our 4 kids.
We thought that maybe we should have some type of port-a-potty along, just in case of an emergency.

I was leaning towards this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00571QERU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1WH04AZLY47RM&coliid=IN1469YTITD2Y

What would you all recommend?

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Luggable-Portable-Gallon/dp/B000FIAPXO/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1469682248&sr=1-2&keywords=lug+a+loo

See the link for the Luggable Loo at Amazon. $19.99. It can be bought at Cabela's and Bass Pro I think. Uses disposable bags with sanitizer/absorbent. We use one when camping primitive sans facilities. Works great.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#2]
If its just for an emergency something like above will work just fine.

If it will be used often I would suggest a sealed toilet that flushes. Look at the Thetford Porta Potti series. They make several different sizes so I'm sure one will fit your needs. I have the model 345 for camping with my wife and daughter and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
If its for roadside emergencies, this 5 gallon bucket lid with these liners would work well seeing as a 5 gallon bucket has a handle. There are also some biodegradable bags so that you couild just have a trowel in the bucket and have the responsible party bury the waste if in a location where that is allowed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, it is just for roadside emergencies.  

The Luggable Loo looks easy to take out of the van & use.  But how sturdy is it?  
Is their a weight limit to it?  In case I need to use it...I'm a fairly big (fat) guy...I'm working on that though.

The Thetford Porta Potties look nice but how easy & quick would it be to take out of the van & use?  (with the water already in the tank)
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Luggable Loo looks easy to take out of the van & use.  But how sturdy is it?  
Is their a weight limit to it?  In case I need to use it...I'm a fairly big (fat) guy...I'm working on that though.

The Thetford Porta Potties look nice but how easy & quick would it be to take out of the van & use?  (with the water already in the tank)
View Quote

Go sit on a bucket like you're taking a dump. If it holds then you aren't too fat.

I have one we use for camping. I know it'll support 200 lbs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am 235 and it works fine for me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pics or it didn't happen

*unsubscribes
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#9]
The toilet lid that fits on a 5 gallon can is really handy. I think it'll do exactly what you need it to. We keep one in our small camper (no toilet in the camper). Also have a toilet/shower tent as well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Just grab a 5 gallon bucket and lid from home depot. Have them take the lid off and sit on the bucket.
The edges will make it uncomfortable so they wont lolly gag and take all day taking a shit.

That way you can get down the road quicker.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just grab a 5 gallon bucket and lid from home depot. Have them take the lid off and sit on the bucket.
The edges will make it uncomfortable so they wont lolly gag and take all day taking a shit.

View Quote

36" peice of pool noodle cut like a hotdog bun, and 13 gal trash can liners. Add a package of baby wipes, and it all fits inside under the lid. Put the liner in first and the fix the pool noodle around the rim. That way the liner doesn't fall inside when you make a deposit.

Make sure you keep a liner unfolded when in transit, you don't want to be racing the clock.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

300 lbs here, I have no problem with mine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#13]
No reason you can't teach the kids how to responsibly dig/cover catholes.

My recommendation: toilet paper and a shovel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:32:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I am guessing you want something small you can pack away while traveling?

I love this one.    I am a great outdoorsman.     I hunt, fish, backpack, and am into mountaineering.    When not on the trail and my vehicle handy,  I have ended up in shelters with no running water, electric, nor heat.   They were much better than a tent though.   I set up a kitchen with a stove and had plenty of lights.   The final trick has always been to add a toilet somehow without going out.    (Yes, we can all do that.  But, it is nice not to have it required in freezing rain.)   I used one of the below.   The thing is great.   It is very compact, easy to keep clean, and inexpensive.  I found this to be very comfortable.    It exceeded my expectations.

I bought mine at Walmart and stock up on extra bags from there.  

I do prefer the recommended disposal bags. They work better than the best garbage bags, though grabage bags would work.

Manufacturer Part Number:9824-41W
Brand:Ozark Trail

The Reliance Folding Portable Toilet is ideal for camping trips and other outings where bathroom facilities are limited. It holds children and adults up to 300 lbs. With its plastic design, this collapsible toilet folds down to only 5 inches in height to take up very little space when packing. It also includes a Double Doodie waste bag to make cleanup fast and easy. Because it includes a bio gel that turns liquids into solid, there is no worry about messes to clean up on your vacation or outdoor adventure.

Reliance Folding Portable Toilet:
Collapsible toilet
Plastic construction
Folds down to 5" in height
Weight capacity: 300 lbs
Includes 1 Double Doodie waste bag with bio gel to solidify liquid waste

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

36" peice of pool noodle cut like a hotdog bun, and 13 gal trash can liners. Add a package of baby wipes, and it all fits inside under the lid. Put the liner in first and the fix the pool noodle around the rim. That way the liner doesn't fall inside when you make a deposit.

Make sure you keep a liner unfolded when in transit, you don't want to be racing the clock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I came to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKqpGCUmfXM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top