Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2016 10:29:10 PM EDT
Update2:  I ordered the Sea to Summit Nylon Tarp Poncho.  This way when I set up base camp with tarp overhead and need raingear to get something done I can just get wet instead

========================================

Update: HERE

========================================
Original:

I'm considering a 9x9 tyvek tarp using Nashua 357 or Sticky Ass Tape (dumb name) or Tyvek tape as guy out points.  This avoids sewing and grommeting.

I was also thinking of 'edging' the tyvek with tape.

For the moment I'm considering ordering from here, https://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/shelters-accessories/tyvek-ground-cloth-by-the-foot/, as the description shows a 9ft 'height' sold by the 1ft length.

I'm specifically considering a 9x9 square shape.

Thoughts?  Alternates?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 2:55:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Best available tarps are those made of sil-nylon by Cooke Custom Sewing in Minnesota --- any/all others inferior in execution and design.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 5:16:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best available tarps are those made of sil-nylon by Cooke Custom Sewing in Minnesota --- any/all others inferior in execution and design.
View Quote

Not everyone wants to spend $200 on a square of cloth.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#3]
OP what is the TARP to be used for?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Primarily a sun shade and rain break. A place to cook and get dressed.

I'm going to play with bivy camping.  I still sleep on the ground like an animal
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'm going to play with bivy camping.  I still sleep on the ground like an animal
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If that's all you need, get a silnylon poncho.  It will be lighter and you can also wear it for rain protection.

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not yet willing to make that sort of financial investment.  Looks like the ponchos are still $70+

eta:  I do like the idea of using a poncho as an overhead.  What does a surplus USGI weigh?  Cost?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Close outs from Campmor or Sierra Trading post.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use one of these though I dont know the brand Ground Cloth
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm not yet willing to make that sort of financial investment.  Looks like the ponchos are still $70+
eta:  I do like the idea of using a poncho as an overhead.  What does a surplus USGI weigh?  Cost?
View Quote
Ok, if you don't want to spend a lot and want something light, you can also look at making a Polycryo (basically, a thick shrink wrap material used for sealing window openings).

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/97056-DIY-No-tape-No-sew-Polycryo-%28some-call-it-Polycro%29-Tarp

Not sure it's any better than tyvek other than weight.  I haven't used it myself, but it's popular for using to make ground clothes

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#10]
And here I thought a bright white sheet with 'TYVEK' and 'HOME" on it was ghetto ............. lol

eta:  I do need something for rain wear and you've gotten me intrigued with the whole tarp/poncho thing.  I was looking at the Sea to Summit nylon one, about $55 and the Teton Tarp Poncho at $28.  No side closures on the Teton but I imagine I could add adhesive velcro in various spots to hold it together when used as a poncho.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok.  I have a Frogg Toggs poncho from way back.

I added some duct tape loops

(I used Home Depot 3M Extreme Hold duct tape.  I do NOT recommend it.  The adhesive walks in sunlight.  Gorilla tape has done the same to me.)

I've been waiting ALL DAY for it to rain.  Thunder and stuff but no rain.

Maybe tonight.  I messed with the hose earlier and it sagged in this layout.  I hope for better results with real trees lol.  I got tired of guying things.

Frogg Toggs Poncho Tarp by Dan Passaro, on Flickr

EXTREME Hold ...... pffffffffffffft

3M Extreme (2835) duct tape just from sunlight by Dan Passaro, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Tenacious tape

https://www.rei.com/product/783045/gear-aid-tenacious-tape-repair-tape?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-7830450065&CAWELAID=120217890000845499&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15877488160&CATCI=pla-127175265640&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG&gclid=CjwKEAjwtqe8BRCs-9DdpMOilBoSJAAyqWz_6NYr3t3OKz2fiLC0bYc7P6-yplUqx5So3tOpasVWIRoCiuHw_wcB
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#13]
You're actually gonna fit under that? The coverage area looks tiny.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You're actually gonna fit under that? The coverage area looks tiny.
View Quote

Barely, when sitting indian style.  And it is.

The poncho is a person poncho, vs a person-with-a-pack poncho.  Those are definitely longer.

Mainly, with this thing, it was an exercise.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#15]
These are just suggestion! I have not bought or used any of these!
UST BASE Hex Tarp 20-51144-1
You can look around on that page! That tarp was the cheapest one I saw.
I'm assuming that cost is a factor in your purchase? It is with me, as well as wt!
I had my eye on Aqua Quest the Defender    style! The price just dropped!
I was going with the 10 X 13 (That the list size it a few inch shorter then that)!
Then I fine it is 5 lbs!! OK for car or base camping. But a bit heave for anything else!
So now I'm re-calculating. I still want the 10 X 13. So now I'm studying the Guide tarps  
which are made from 40D Nylon with Silicone. They wt 1.9 lbs! Then there is the Safari tarps!
They are made from the same durable heat-taped 70D Nylon as the Defender. But wt is 2.4lbs!
Cost is about the same. But more durability for more wt???
So good luck with your quest! What ever you decide, let the hive know!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I use a yukon outfitters rainfly that cost me a little over $20 on sale. It works great. Talked my buddy into one as well for his hammock.

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Tenacious tape

https://www.rei.com/product/783045/gear-aid-tenacious-tape-repair-tape?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-7830450065&CAWELAID=120217890000845499&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15877488160&CATCI=pla-127175265640&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG&gclid=CjwKEAjwtqe8BRCs-9DdpMOilBoSJAAyqWz_6NYr3t3OKz2fiLC0bYc7P6-yplUqx5So3tOpasVWIRoCiuHw_wcB
View Quote
He'd have more money in the tape than the Frogg Toggs poncho at that point.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 7:17:28 AM EDT
[#19]
A very old method of tarp to string connection;  a pebble or small round stone.  They're cheap and likely to find near your camp site except for folks in snow country during the winter.

If you don't know what I'm talking about; pick up a pebble, put edge of tarp over it, far enough from the leading edge to have full material over the rock and then some, wrap the tarp around the rock and tie off the rock with your cordage so that the tie off is much smaller than the rock to trap the rock in the tarp material.  

You can put these anywhere on the edge or middle of the tarp too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#20]
This tarp from Yama Mountain Gear might be what you're looking for. They make great gear.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Not everyone knows enough to spend enough to get highest quality gear, which is usually worth all, and often more, than its cost.
There's an inverse relation between cheap/quality.  Pay your money and take your choice: cheap = inferior, expensive = (assumably, not always) superior. If you're just looking to buy the cheapest available crap, have at it, but don't look for affirmation when asking for informed opinions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not everyone knows enough to spend enough to get highest quality gear, which is usually worth all, and often more, than its cost.
There's an inverse relation between cheap/quality.  Pay your money and take your choice: cheap = inferior, expensive = (assumably, not always) superior. If you're just looking to buy the cheapest available crap, have at it, but don't look for affirmation when asking for informed opinions.
View Quote

Translation: "People dismissed my expensive tarp option, so now I'm upset."

Everyone has different purchase criteria, and you can't get upset and condescending when someone chooses a different path. For some of us, finding ways to make lightweight, robust gear for the lowest cost is part of the fun. I could buy the best cottage gear on the market if I chose to, and I have before - I found it boring and stressful. I enjoy the challenge of tinkering with gear - finding something cheap, and making it work for my purpose is part of the fun. I also like using gear that I can damage without getting upset.

So, if you're looking to buy the most expensive gear available, have at it, but don't get upset when not everyone affirms your choices, particularly in a thread about building cheap gear.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#23]
As far as rainflies, I have only bought the Yukon that I posted above, But had a little more time to elaborate. I have tweaked my fly a little bit to try to make it go up faster and easier. I have also camped in high winds and rain and stayed dry.

My ridgeline setup which connects to some straps around the trees via carabiner (for me its my hammock straps) $10

Yukon rainfly not on sale $40

4 little carabiners for each corner of the hammock make it go up a little faster

I use 2 guyline stakes to one guyline and insert them at a 90 degree angle to the line and have the stakes make an inverted V into the ground. If I expect high wind I put a rock on the stakes.

Also a Prusik knot will help you tie a tight ridgeline if you dont buy the figure 9.

I do suggest you do use a continuous ridgeline though as it makes the fly much more stable. Something like this

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#24]
how is the USGI poncho as a dual use item?  poncho till arrival, then tarp

Is there a better poncho for dual use?

Old grouch's has a $74 better-than-USGI-spec poncho on their site.  Naturally that price takes me over.  But it would essentially 'buy' two items, rain gear and tarp.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
how is the USGI poncho as a dual use item?  poncho till arrival, then tarp

Is there a better poncho for dual use?

Old grouch's has a $74 better-than-USGI-spec poncho on their site.  Naturally that price takes me over.  But it would essentially 'buy' two items, rain gear and tarp.
View Quote

I've used mine as a tarp over a hammock before.  It's a little short for that use but it will keep you fairly dry.  Of course mine was free.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Everyone has different purchase criteria, and you can't get upset and condescending when someone chooses a different path. For some of us, finding ways to make lightweight, robust gear for the lowest cost is part of the fun. I could buy the best cottage gear on the market if I chose to, and I have before - I found it boring and stressful. I enjoy the challenge of tinkering with gear - finding something cheap, and making it work for my purpose is part of the fun. I also like using gear that I can damage without getting upset.

So, if you're looking to buy the most expensive gear available, have at it, but don't get upset when not everyone affirms your choices, particularly in a thread about building cheap gear.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not "upset", nor was I "condescending", by merely pointing out my informed-by-experience recommendations. I've learned, sometimes the hard way, the truth of  the axiom: "You Get  What You Pay For", and, generally, if you pay low-priced-junk prices, you'll probably get low-priced junk.  My intent was to inform forum members of what, in my extensive experience, is a product well worth its price. Those who wish to make an economically-effective DIY project of comparable quality, I wish well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm not "upset", nor was I "condescending", by merely pointing out my informed-by-experience recommendations. I've learned, sometimes the hard way, the truth of  the axiom: "You Get  What You Pay For", and, generally, if you pay low-priced-junk prices, you'll probably get low-priced junk.  My intent was to inform forum members of what, in my extensive experience, is a product well worth its price. Those who wish to make an economically-effective DIY project of comparable quality, I wish well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what makes the cooke tarp better than "any/all" other tarps?  How is it superior to say the Kifaru sheep tarp, the seek outside dst tarp or the Warbonnet designs?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So what makes the cooke tarp better than "any/all" other tarps?  How is it superior to say the Kifaru sheep tarp, the seek outside dst tarp or the Warbonnet designs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A look at the OP's objective, a rain/shade shelter, and comparison of the features and designs of the Cooke "Tundra Tarps", will reveal to any informed observer that their is little realistic comparison to be made between the Cooke highly detailed and feature-full  tarps, and the other-purpose, tent-substitute tarps you've mentioned. Anyone who knows how fabric "structures" such as tents, tarps, sails, parachutes, balloons, inflatable boats, etc., are made, and made to perform, will immediately recognize the superiority of certain materials and techniques,and others will ignorantly only aver unwitting affinity to  brand names and similar symbols. Cooke's stuff  is the best I've found ---any evidence to the contrary would interest me...
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A look at the OP's objective, a rain/shade shelter, and comparison of the features and designs of the Cooke "Tundra Tarps", will reveal to any informed observer that their is little realistic comparison to be made between the Cooke highly detailed and feature-full  tarps, and the other-purpose, tent-substitute tarps you've mentioned. Anyone who knows how fabric "structures" such as tents, tarps, sails, parachutes, balloons, inflatable boats, etc., are made, and made to perform, will immediately recognize the superiority of certain materials and techniques,and others will ignorantly only aver unwitting affinity to  brand names and similar symbols. Cooke's stuff  is the best I've found ---any evidence to the contrary would interest me...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice diatribe.  The Kifaru and the Seek Outsidere I asked about were square tarps and not tent substitutes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:03:34 AM EDT
[#30]
I use a pair of old canvas tarps. I have found the nylon ones to not last well
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:53:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anyone who knows how fabric "structures" such as tents, tarps, sails, parachutes, balloons, inflatable boats, etc., are made, and made to perform, will immediately recognize the superiority of certain materials and techniques,and others will ignorantly only aver unwitting affinity to  brand names and similar symbols. Cooke's stuff  is the best I've found ---any evidence to the contrary would interest me...
View Quote

That statement, at face value, is a tad hypocritical don't you think?  Price doesn't always suggest better performance, it often reflects better features and a name established for proven performance.  I own numerous tarps from various cottage makers along with some bargain tarps from various sources.  Cooke is a quality tarp design with materials common to all cottage makers; what sets them apart is their focus on canoeists, it's a design-driven niche market for them and they do it well, but it doesn't always appeal to everyone.  The beauty of most cottage makers is that you can purchase the base price of a particular tarp size and material, however you can add (and price goes up) for unique or added features.

Tarp features are what an experience individual focuses on and they can be found on some bargain tarps.  As price goes down, it's not necessarily the quality, but the compromises in the features you desire.  Brand names will always drive up costs (which is why the fun is often finding new cottage makers), but there is no denying that added features to a basic piece (or paneled) tarp will drive up costs.  If those features provide strength, ease of setup, various shelter configurations, simplicity for repairs, etc., than I don't deny the added value associated to the price.

The excellent aspect these days is that all the tarp materials, even cuben-fiber, can be purchased in bulk-form and DIY tarps can be made relatively cheaply if you're skilled enough.  I think most would agree that a basic tarp isn't necessarily special, but a quality design with helpful or reinforced features do offer added value but at the end of the day, it's less about those features than the skill necessary to quickly erect a shelter and the more skilled at various setups, the better value your tarp will have.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This might be the most pompous thing I've heard all day, and I'm watching the DNC, so that's saying something. You've made some pretty authoritative statements in this thread, but I haven't seen a scrap of actual data to back it up. Why is Cooke the best gear on the market? Why is it better than, say, an MEC Scout?

The Cooke tarps look nice, though all the extra features seem to drive the weight up a bit. My cheapie 10x12 Chinook tarp weighs less than their equivalent 1.9oz sil tarp. I know, I know, it's garbage, and I only own it because I'm an uninformed prole
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top