Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2016 7:28:13 PM EDT
Looking to purchase my first telescope any recommendations for the type that are easy to set-up can be programmed with a computer  etc. Ah you get the idea say around  $1000K

Thanks  .
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking to purchase my first telescope any recommendations for the type that are easy to set-up can be programmed with a computer  etc. Ah you get the idea say around  $1000K

Thanks  .
View Quote

You can get a hell of a telescope for a million dollars. ($1,000K)
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks  .

$1000
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#3]
What primarily, do you want to look at?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What primarily, do you want to look at?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Your money will be spent in four areas:

- Diameter
- Size/weight
- Mount
- Automation

I chose a simple 8" Dobsinian to start.  It's cheap, but reasonable quality.  No automation at all.  Heavy.

If I were to buy again, it would be a Schmidt-Cassegrain, much smaller and lighter, and I would get the automation. At least 3-4x the cost of the Dob though.

For instance the Celestron Nexstar 8SE.

http://www.telescope.com/Shop-by-Brand/Celestron-Product-Center/Celestron-Cassegrain-Telescopes/Celestron-NexStar-8SE-GoTo-Schmidt-Cassegrain-Telescope/pc/8/c/92/sc/124/p/9756.uts?sortByColumnName=SortByPriceAscending

ETA: I wouldn't go smaller than 8" regardless of what type you decide to buy.  The difference in light gathering between 6" and 8" is substantial (over 75%).

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

- Diameter
- Size/weight
- Mount
- Automation

I chose a simple 8" Dobsinian to start.  It's cheap, but reasonable quality.  No automation at all.  Heavy.

If I were to buy again, it would be a Schmidt-Cassegrain, much smaller and lighter, and I would get the automation. At least 3-4x the cost of the Dob though.

http://www.telescope.com/Shop-by-Brand/Celestron-Product-Center/Celestron-Cassegrain-Telescopes/Celestron-NexStar-8SE-GoTo-Schmidt-Cassegrain-Telescope/pc/8/c/92/sc/124/p/9756.uts?sortByColumnName=SortByPriceAscending

ETA: I wouldn't go smaller than 8" regardless of what type you decide to buy.  The difference in light gathering between 6" and 8" is substantial (over 75%).

View Quote

Already decide on 8" dia

This

http://www.highpointscientific.com/celestron-nexstar-8se-schmidt-cassegrain-computerized-telescope-11069-used?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=UEQ-CEL-11069
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Diameter
- Size/weight
- Mount
- Automation

Already decide on 8" dia

This

http://www.highpointscientific.com/celestron-nexstar-8se-schmidt-cassegrain-computerized-telescope-11069-used?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=UEQ-CEL-11069

OP, do you live close enough to High Point Scientific so that you can see this rig in person?
If so, it would be a good idea.  Pretty cool place, plus a good knowlegable staff.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm leaning towards this: EVO 8 for the longer battery life, and the smart phone/tablet/ipad/iphone integration. Same optics as the Nextstar8 but better tripod, mount.

NextStar 8 is a second choice, but thats only a few more bones for the newer EVO 8.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#9]
The best first telescope is actually a good pair binoculars.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top