Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:33:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because why make life hard for ticks?
View Quote

I hike in an area where a very high percentage of deer ticks carry lyme disease. No way in hell would I wear a kilt. Not judging anybody else, but doing so here is insane.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:58:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a couple of the Mountain Hardwear kilts for hiking.  I love them and yes there are some mental reservations about what could have easy access to your junk, but it's truly more mental than reality.  I've hiked "commando", but typically with underwear (Ex Officio).  They really are a functional garment.  I like that in colder weather, I can don and doff merino wool long underwear faster and easier to keep from over-heating or when I need to warm up. They dry much faster than pants or shorts if soaked with sweat.  They're much easier to remove for deeper river crossings.  There is plenty of data to support the value of staying dry and allowing part of your body plenty of air to avoid fungal buildup.  I can accept those who dislike the look, but to claim they are somehow more prone to causing injury or welcoming of arthropod attacks really haven't spent much time outdoors.  About the only issue I could see is standing directly over a yellow jacket hole and pissing them off (which happened to me before, but I wasn't wearing a kilt).  I would concede they aren't for everyone, every location and every season, but they are quite functional in a majority of hiking locations.  

Now, with what I think is a great outdoors attire, I wouldn't recommend them for seriously buggy areas or seasons nor bushwhacking through thick briars.  But even with that, I wouldn't hike off trail with my typical backpack clothing anyways...that's a vastly different activity.  I abhor ticks, but I actually prefer wearing a kilt during tick season as it's easier to check more often (and both my underwear and kilts are treated with Permethrin).  

Let's be honest here...the biggest challenge of the modern hiking kilt is one's fear of what others think  If you can get past that, you will start to appreciate their functionality.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Father's day (a little early) edition of the camping pic thread....

Took the offspring to Cloudland Canyon State park. Georgia.

Raccoon Cavern up in TN

This guy was scooting along from one side of the falls to the other when I spotted him.

My $10 brand new Coleman yardsale tent

So just to add, pictures from the trip

Looking out over Trenton GA

Nature, you scary edition

String with a piece of bacon on the end wielded these little morsels above the falls.

I made the mistake of dumping them onto tin foil all at once...one of them screamed "run for it" and they all attempted a jail break while covered in butter.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Kilts are stupid for hiking.

Hanging out at the park and looking all "cool" and "different"  Yeah.  Neat.  Getting your nutsack caught on a bramblebush or wedged between a pair of rocks because you just had to be edgy?   Not cool.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hiking kilt?

Hopefully and probably this. Got to say, think what you want but having the fellas hanging free in the breeze is a fantastic feeling and very cooling etc.

Worn a few kilts in my time and although you may look like an idiot it is not a horrible idea. Damn girls get to have all the breeze fun up in their stuff.

Kilts are stupid for hiking.

Hanging out at the park and looking all "cool" and "different"  Yeah.  Neat.  Getting your nutsack caught on a bramblebush or wedged between a pair of rocks because you just had to be edgy?   Not cool.

This. Kilts are ridiculous for backcountry wear. Slide down a boulder on your butt? Sit in grass? No freaking way.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hopefully and probably this. Got to say, think what you want but having the fellas hanging free in the breeze is a fantastic feeling and very cooling etc.

Worn a few kilts in my time and although you may look like an idiot it is not a horrible idea. Damn girls get to have all the breeze fun up in their stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hiking kilt?

....until you're pulling a tick off your scrotum.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hiking kilt?

If you're wearing a kilt, you have balls of steel...
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Rain skirts are pretty popular for long distance hiking right now.

Did OP encounter The Real Hiking Viking?

Quoted:

I saw a group of pretty, young ladies on the trail wearing wierd, old timey straight skirts and super ultralight packs.

View Quote

Do you even ultralight, bro?

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I always hike in my kilt.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My sentiments exactly. They look cool if your race wore them, if not you probably look ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't wear a kilt to the Highland games and Bagpipe review.   They're for Scots.  I can trace my lineage to the Welsh.  I am not a Scot.   I think those grubby Irishmen wore them too.
My sentiments exactly. They look cool if your race wore them, if not you probably look ridiculous.

Everyone out in the woods might make fun of you
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Grown men wearing kilts on the hiking trail....hmmm.

Are those banjos I hear?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#11]
very interesting...
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I always hike in my kilt.
<a href="http://s1117.photobucket.com/user/skinnerfam3/media/dd1973f7-283a-420f-998d-a89244d88bfb_zpsyodn0rxj.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k597/skinnerfam3/dd1973f7-283a-420f-998d-a89244d88bfb_zpsyodn0rxj.jpg</a>
View Quote

NVMD
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I prefer to hike in a sarong.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Can't be good for tick defense though.....good luck with lyme disease hipster!
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 4:31:47 AM EDT
[#15]
You guys do realize that the vast majority of men who wear kilts have some sort of underwear on,  right?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top