Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2016 3:30:14 PM EDT
Flip flops don't cut it.  Looking for something lighter than crocs but same sort of concept.  Purpose is to wear in camp after a long day's hike to air out feet and for addressing natures call in the middle of the night.  What do you use?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Vibram 5-Fingers.  It's basically all I wear once I get to camp.  They're lightweight, dry quickly, and take up little room.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
i was going to say flip-flops.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Hiking-water shoes by Merrill, Columbia etc
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I know you said other than Crocs. But Crocs are comfortable and will kept you from smashing your toes into something. They are not especially heavy and are not hurt by water. They are easy to hang off the outside of the back with a carabiner so space is not an issue.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know you said other than Crocs. But Crocs are comfortable and will kept you from smashing your toes into something. They are not especially heavy and are not hurt by water. They are easy to hang off the outside of the back with a carabiner so space is not an issue.
View Quote

Crocs are like 40 bucks.  I am a budget backpacker
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#6]
CVS sells a brand which are much lighter than Crocs.  I think they weigh around 11oz a pair.  I don't remember the name, Dogs or something like that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
CVS sells a brand which are much lighter than Crocs.  I think they weigh around 11oz a pair.  I don't remember the name, Dogs or something like that.
View Quote

Just found a set of knock offs on amazon for $9.26 shipped.  Gonna give them a go and see how they work
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Flip flops should be illegal for men to wear except for their intended purpose - shower shoes.

I use Keens for backpacking camp.  Lighter than Tevas, but provide enough support to use for light hiking around camp, and I use them when fishing around camp.  I've also gone cheap in the past, and bought knock-offs at Wally World.  Their OK, but I really hate gear failures so now just spring for Keens.  My experience is I end up spending about the same when longevity is considered.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knock off's everywhere for under $10

Cheap, quick drying, enough protection for water crossings. This is what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Flip flops should be illegal for men to wear except for their intended purpose - shower shoes.

I use Keens for backpacking camp.  Lighter than Tevas, but provide enough support to use for light hiking around camp, and I use them when fishing around camp.  I've also gone cheap in the past, and bought knock-offs at Wally World.  Their OK, but I really hate gear failures so now just spring for Keens.  My experience is I end up spending about the same when longevity is considered.

Semper Fi
View Quote

says the person who does not live where it gets hot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I wear vibrams or flip flops if I am car camping. For backpacking I just wear my boots cause I already have enough to carry.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a pair of Vivobarefoot Ultra 2's:

Super light, very comfortable, good footing for stream crossings.  The list price is a bit high, but I was able to get a pair on Amazon for $30-35 on sale.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I take a pair of keen's, think I paid $40-50 at Nordstrom rack.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#14]
My vote goes for crock style slip ons.  I got my knock offs from Walmart for just over $10.  My wife has the more expensive keens and loves them, but they are made from much more dense rubber so are a bit heavier.  They are much more durable though.  I don't think I would like the toe finger shoes, as when around the camp site letting my hiking or hunting boots air/ dry a bit I like to be able to wear socks if I want.  

I also like flip flops. These are just cheapos from Walmart as well.  A strap connector vs rubber connector is key on sandals.  I do have some sandals with rubber connectors but they aren't as comfortable IMO.

I have walked miles in these:

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My vote goes for crock style slip ons.  I got my knock offs from Walmart for just over $10.  My wife has the more expensive keens and loves them, but they are made from much more dense rubber so are a bit heavier.  They are much more durable though.  I don't think I would like the toe finger shoes, as when around the camp site letting my hiking or hunting boots air/ dry a bit I like to be able to wear socks if I want.  

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Gear/WP_20160505_001_zpspso7ilrc.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Gear/WP_20160505_002_zpsf4ib5etq.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Gear/WP_20160505_003_zpsanqohzxj.jpg

I also like flip flops. These are just cheapos from Walmart as well.  A strap connector vs rubber connector is key on sandals.  I do have some sandals with rubber connectors but they aren't as comfortable IMO.

I have walked miles in these:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Gear/WP_20160505_004_zpslgiilwa7.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Gear/WP_20160505_005_zps7lbdjl1f.jpg

View Quote

I looked at the slip ons but was leaning towards something with a heel strap, most places I've set up camp you have to climb down and back up a bank for water and I already cut my foot once trying to do it in flipflops
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Op -

I think you will like the knock off crocs with heel straps. Light weight, you can use them for stream crossings, putter around the lake, low level camp bouldering or even a march out if something happens to your boots.
(One trip and my buddy woke up missing a boot -> animal took it - chew on leather?)

I even use insoles (red in pic) in mine to help with my blown out arches...

BTW - flip flops suck in the Sierra if that is your AO
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 2:16:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Crocs, thick sole Keens and Tevas are all heavy and bulky as hell. Flip flops are too flimsy and won't stay on for climbing over rocks to get to the water. I have an older model Keen that is 8oz can be compressed down pretty flat and performs well. If I were to choose a replacement I am impressed with some of the choices by Speedo surprisingly.

Specifically this one: http://www.speedousa.com/accessories/footwear/mens-footwear/mens-offshore-water-shoes/style-7491151.

Lightweight, compressible, decent traction, wont fall off and $40 dollars.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Nah, Nevermind
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Crocs, thick sole Keens and Tevas are all heavy and bulky as hell. Flip flops are too flimsy and won't stay on for climbing over rocks to get to the water. I have an older model Keen that is 8oz can be compressed down pretty flat and performs well. If I were to choose a replacement I am impressed with some of the choices by Speedo surprisingly.

Lightweight, compressible, decent traction, wont fall off and $40 dollars.
View Quote

Good tip -

Just weighed my crocs w/ insoles - 13 oz.

The crocs have a problem with sand and small rocks getting into the vents on the top. The aqua shoes would solve this. Plus the aqua shoes have a more aggressive sole.
I found some on Amazon for $10 I'm going to try.

I my case, I could use the insoles out of my boots (no go in crocs) in the aqua shoes and save the extra weight there too...

Tnx
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Fake Crocs received and found wanting.

Returned them and ordered these to see how they work.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a pair of Vivobarefoot Ultra 2's:

https://bloggingjogging.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/img_2822.jpg?w=676&h=506

Super light, very comfortable, good footing for stream crossings.  The list price is a bit high, but I was able to get a pair on Amazon for $30-35 on sale.
View Quote

I use these as well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I run Teva Hurricanes.  They are almost too hard after a long days hike, but they are good for river crossings and I can legitimately hike long distances in them if needed.

I do want some crocs for camp myself though, they look comfy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:55:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dollar General crocs...like $8.  Those have been my backpacking camp/ water crossing shoes for years.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:21:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I run Teva Hurricanes.  They are almost too hard after a long days hike, but they are good for river crossings and I can legitimately hike long distances in them if needed.

I do want some crocs for camp myself though, they look comfy.
View Quote

Tevas here as well.  I just clip them on the outside of my pack if I'm not already wearing them; I actually hike in the things if it's not too cold or too technical.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Only problem I have found with the cheap or budget water shoes is they tend to come apart pretty easy.  I have never bought an expensive pair so I cant speak for those, and when I was younger I always just used Jesus style strap on sandals.  In the decades since college I have used flip flops and as of late the knock off crocks.  I have never tried the ones with a heal strap but have never done anything super technical that would have me running out of them.  I wear them around the house all the time to.

One reason I have been moving away from flip flops as camp shoes is because I have been doing more extended backcountry hunts the past couple years. Week plus outings and camp shoes are really needed.  Flip flops fail when snow hits the ground because its a pain to wear socks with them, you can but it stretches out where it goes between your toes, plus you can stay just a touch dryer with the slip ons.

When you pack in on foot half a dozen miles every bit of space and weight counts!

I do like some of those water shoes posted above, I just can justify $40 on something I would only use a few outings a year.  At least the slip ons make good around the house shoes for only $10.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks interesting. If you have a postal scale, please weight them when they arrive.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Looks interesting. If you have a postal scale, please weight them when they arrive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Due in today.  Will post weight when i get home
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

13 3/4 oz a pair

Really like them so far.  only go to size 11 and I am 11 1/2 -12 Plenty big enough though.  Going to try them out this weekend on Loyalsock Link
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

13 3/4 oz a pair

Really like them so far.  only go to size 11 and I am 11 1/2 -12 Plenty big enough though.  Going to try them out this weekend on Loyalsock Link
View Quote

Thanks!

Seems in the carry zone...
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

13 3/4 oz a pair

Thanks!

They worked great as camp shoe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top