Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2016 4:46:14 PM EDT
For a while my first canoe was rigged up with an upside-down "Y" rope and board, but it required too much room for my 9'4" tall ceiling. So now both my canoes are rigged up so as to be as close to the ceiling as possible. I wasn't able to get #2 up before snowfall, so it sat outside all winter. A few weeks ago, I awoke one morning to see my canoe had been moved! Next day I had it rigged as you see it in the pics. Best I can figure is someone tried to take off with it and either someone else turned onto our street and they fled or they noticed the registration tags weren't updated yet (the old ones expire this month).

Maybe some here already rig this way, but I thought I'd share in case someone else needs to save space as I did.

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:01:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to keep mine hung up in the garage. It is a 15' aluminum Grumman and I had it suspended with nylon ropes through a board similar to what you have. It hung there for almost 20 years and one day we found it on the hood of my wife's new car. The rope just gave out.

It has been tied down out in the desert ever since. I have been thinking of putting it back in the garage but I will suspend it with chains.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to change the ropes every once in a while. I do have a safety line under each board as well. The pulley system gets me close, but to make sure I clear the garage door as it opens I have the extra safety line that's a little easier to get it more snug to the ceiling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top