Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2016 10:22:49 AM EDT
Today I decided to test out my new camp stove and a $12 non-stick pan I bought at the Coleman outlet over the weekend.  Stove started right up and I put the pan on to pre-heat while I scrambled my eggs.  While whipping the eggs, I noticed a sheen on the top of the pan that looked off, so I turned it over and saw this...

I was truly surprised because I thought the stove wouldn't be hot enough, so I bought a thinner camp pan.  But here it was so hot it melted the damn thing.  That was on medium heat.  I'd hate to see what high would do.  

I've never used a gas stove before, and always relied on fire.  So, what did I do wrong?  Buy the wrong pan?  I figured since it was Coleman it would hold up.  Did I put the heat too high?  Help me out here guys with any common pitfalls with gas camp stoves that I should be aware of.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I use cast iron on mine.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#2]
It seems to me that coating the bottom of the pan with non-stick coating is a design flaw.  As far as I understand, the fumes from a burn-off like that can be toxic.

What does the inside of the pan look like?  You might be able to burn the rest off the bottom and still use the pan.

In general, I like to get all my stuff ready to go before starting the heat on anything except an actual household oven or a cast iron pan.  Prevents issues from being created due to distraction.

Gas stoves do operate very differently.  They don't "come up to temp" they are AT temp all the time and only the area of that temp changes. You really shouldn't and don't need to "pre-heat" anything with a gas stove. Stop it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use cast iron on mine.
View Quote

We have some, but my original thinking was that it would be too thick, that the gas stove wouldn't be powerful enough to heat it up.  Boy was I wrong.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It seems to me that coating the bottom of the pan with non-stick coating is a design flaw.  As far as I understand, the fumes from a burn-off like that can be toxic.

What does the inside of the pan look like?  You might be able to burn the rest off the bottom and still use the pan.

In general, I like to get all my stuff ready to go before starting the heat on anything except an actual household oven or a cast iron pan.  Prevents issues from being created due to distraction.

Gas stoves do operate very differently.  They don't "come up to temp" they are AT temp all the time and only the area of that temp changes. You really shouldn't and don't need to "pre-heat" anything with a gas stove. Stop it.
View Quote

The inside is discolored, and I have a feeling if it were on for any longer it would look like the bottom.  Went to Amazon to see the reviews and almost all of them have the same problem.  I can't believe Coleman is selling this thing.  I'm just glad I didn't put any food on it.  If I tried to use it again, it would just be a matter of time before I got Teflon in my food.  

That's a $12 mistake I won't make again.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Was the dial on "medium", or where you looking at the flame?

On my buddy's Coleman dual burner propane stove, all of the heat control is in the first 5° of dial rotation -- anything past that is is just full-flame.  Makes cooking bacon interesting.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Was the dial on "medium", or where you looking at the flame?

On my buddy's Coleman dual burner propane stove, all of the heat control is in the first 5° of dial rotation -- anything past that is is just full-flame.  Makes cooking bacon interesting.
View Quote

Didn't pay attention at first, but started looking at the flame afterwards.  The controls seemed close to what you describe.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Wow, that sucks. thanks for the heads up.

I've been using a GSI Pinnacle Camper cook set with our CampChef Everest camp stove. each burner is 20K BTU and the pot/pan has been holding up so far.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wow, that sucks. thanks for the heads up.

I've been using a GSI Pinnacle Camper cook set with our CampChef Everest camp stove. each burner is 20K BTU and the pot/pan has been holding up so far.

View Quote

No prob.  Who would've thought there would be a learning curve to gas camp stoves.  lol.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually you shouldn't preheat nonstick very long at all.  Like less than a minute.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We have some, but my original thinking was that it would be too thick, that the gas stove wouldn't be powerful enough to heat it up.  Boy was I wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use cast iron on mine.

It makes the heat more even.  Older cast iron is thinner than the new Lodge crap.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#11]
$12 non-stick pan...  There is your problem..

Use cast iron like others have said...
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use cast iron on mine.

I use a small cast iron pot on a Coleman camping stove to melt lead to cast bullets. Yes they can put out the best!
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 1:55:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I've never seen that particualr pan so I'm not sure but in every other one I've ever seen the non-stick coating lined the inside of the pan only.  That looks like some sort of paint.  Either way the inside probably got too hot and the pan is now toast.  Teflon or similar polytetrafluoroethylene should not be used over high heats (>500 degrees F) and camp stoves tend to concentrate heat in a smaller area which increases the problem.  You won't usually overheat one when there's oil or food in it as you'll reach the smoke pont of the fats or oils first and notice it getting too hot.  

Pretty good article here.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Actually you shouldn't preheat nonstick very long at all.  Like less than a minute.
View Quote

Yes! I say that is why the pan blistered!
I for one would take it back. get your money back or a new pan!
Second if your car camping, use the cast iron skillet!!!
Third practice with that stove at home. So you know what it is capable of!
Good luck with your next try!

PITA45
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
$12 non-stick pan...  There is your problem..

Use cast iron like others have said...
View Quote

Most of my experience is with stainless steel.  It's fairly thin, and you have to watch the heat closely because heat transfers through it quickly.  I should re-purpose one of the old cast iron pans I inherited for camping, though.  I like how the crust turns out when I use a cast iron pan to make pizzas in the grill.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

PITA45
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PITA45

This is my understanding. Due to the thinner metals and coatings, camping pots and pans are not to be heated "dry". My GSI set has disclaimer to not "boil dry". I'm guessing it's the same for Coleman.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is my understanding. Due to the thinner metals and coatings, camping pots and pans are not to be heated "dry". My GSI set has disclaimer to not "boil dry". I'm guessing it's the same for Coleman.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PITA45

It would've helped if there had been a disclaimer on the tag that came with it, and yes I did look at it.  I see it as a $12 lesson learned.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:18:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I use cast iron on mine.
View Quote

Ditto that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#20]
After collecting and using cast iron, I won't use Teflon coatings anymore..... Scratches too easy
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I have the same ones, never heated them beyond low and don't have this issue.  The coating is pretty poorly adhered, the first time I used them the bottoms were scratched beyond belief.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I tried one of those a few years back.  Absolute crap.  Can't believe they still sell the damn thing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I have cast iron and it works well, but is heavy. I have been looking at carbon steel skillets. Lodge has a line of seasoned carbon steel cookware that I'd like to try. They season and cook like cast iron but are a little thinner and lighter. Google "carbon steel skillet" or "steel camping skillet", there are a lot of options.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I tried one of those a few years back.  Absolute crap.  Can't believe they still sell the damn thing.
View Quote

As said above, the Coleman pans are garbage. I bought 2 for camping and the non-stick coating is aptly named. If you look at it wrong it starts peeling. I bought 2 more with the intention of treating them with kid gloves. The coating started peeling on the second set as well. Tossed all 4 in the garbage can.

I went with GSI frying pans with the folding / detachable handles and they are AWESOME! No stick and the coating is holding up just fine.

Like said, I can't believe Coleman still markets this junk. That peeling coating can't be good for you & your food.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have cast iron and it works well, but is heavy. I have been looking at carbon steel skillets. Lodge has a line of seasoned carbon steel cookware that I'd like to try. They season and cook like cast iron but are a little thinner and lighter. Google "carbon steel skillet" or "steel camping skillet", there are a lot of options.
View Quote

Found some at Ben's Backwoods.

Lodge Seasoned Carbon Steel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top