Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2016 7:28:21 AM EDT
If you had a choice 9mm or 40?

No many dangerous animals I guess.. black bear at the biggest.

Ammo would be 9mm 127gr Win Ranger SXT or 40S&W 180 lead (Ultramax)
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#1]

Every time I hike on the trail I carry a 1911 .45. That being said my only other pistol options would be a .22 or my wife's .38
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Humans are the biggest danger on the AT. I carry a J-frame 38 whenever I'm there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Humans are the biggest danger on the AT. I carry a J-frame 38 whenever I'm there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a very good point.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Starting to plan a 2 week (or longer) hike.  Didn't want to carry my 1911 due to weight (and the fact that I will be mad if it gets messed up).  I have a low end polymer 40 that makes a good pack gun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry an XDS45.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Starting to plan a 2 week (or longer) hike.  Didn't want to carry my 1911 due to weight (and the fact that I will be mad if it gets messed up).  I have a low end polymer 40 that makes a good pack gun.
View Quote

As long as it's reliable and you're competent with it that should be fine. I usually carry a 380 when hiking.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I like to pocket carry when I hike for a few reasons. Concealed is still concealed, doesn't interfere with the belt on my pack, and I don't have to unass the pack and retrieve it from inside.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I can see the trail from my house. Biggest threat will be two legged. Carry the lightest one. You'll curse any extra weight you have to bear.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I can see the trail from my house. Biggest threat will be two legged. Carry the lightest one. You'll curse any extra weight you have to bear.
View Quote

That's why I like my 380. I can pocket carry, IWB, but my favorite place to carry it is a little zippered pocket on the cummerbund of my pack.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I also live next door to it, here in the mtns of NC. I see hikers almost daily this time of yr. Yrour rarely that far from someone..somewhere.

Done the first 220 miles of, and most of that more then once. No worries about bears. 2 legged and nearer to some trailheads are where you have to be more on the lookout.

Having said that, its relatively safe. For a handgun, I carry a light weight .380..if I do at all.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, if it's just 2 leggers, then  I'll just stick with the G26.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry a 40 (HK P2000SK) when I'm in the woods.  I think it is the best compromise of power and portability.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I hike all over the AT in Virginia. I typically carry 147 grain ranger 9mms. I've seen over 20 bears in the last three years and I have never once felt threatened. I'm more worried about 2-legged problems.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I section hike the AT each year.  I carry my HK2000SK with 147gr Rangers in my Hill People Gear Kit Bag (big enough for a full size, but why carry the extra weight?).  As others have said, people are by far your greatest threat.

Love the bag by the way, doesn't interfere with my pack straps, it's on me all the time, and is super convenient for carrying other essentials.  Nobody has ever asked any questions about it...some have probably made assumptions, but I couldn't care less.

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't mean to derail the discussion, but how do folks that walk the trail for more than 2 weeks handle their food situation?  Do they pack a whole month (or more) of food with them, of do they stage pick up points to get supplies?
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Pre mailed food/supply packets. Usually at post offices/outdoor shops all along the way.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I don't mean to derail the discussion, but how do folks that walk the trail for more than 2 weeks handle their food situation?  Do they pack a whole month (or more) of food with them, of do they stage pick up points to get supplies?
View Quote
You don't need to carry more than 5 or so days of food at any one point with some rare exceptions.  People doing thru hikes usually improvise their meals from items that can be picked up locally (lots of pasta sides, canned tuna, peanut butter, etc..).  Or, as stated above, they do mail drops to themselves.

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I read a study that the murder and crime rate on the AT is actually quite a bit lower than the rates in small cities, the proverbial "anytown, USA".

If you're one to carry every day, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but you're actually safer on the AT then you are at your local corner store.

I would go with something small and light with reduced capacity but in 9mm/40 but personally I would just carry bear spray which works better on bears and is easier to open carry with a hiking backpack without gettng any extra attention.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#21]
My options include a G26, G19, G17 and G20,  I opt for the 19, mostly because it is the smallest lightest pistol I own that I shoot well AND attach a light.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#22]
124  grain +p gold dot the same as every other day
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I read a study that the murder and crime rate on the AT is actually quite a bit lower than the rates in small cities, the proverbial "anytown, USA".

If you're one to carry every day, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but you're actually safer on the AT then you are at your local corner store.

I would go with something small and light with reduced capacity but in 9mm/40 but personally I would just carry bear spray which works better on bears and is easier to open carry with a hiking backpack without gettng any extra attention.
View Quote

Unlike a small town, you have nobody to call for help while on the AT. But your overall risk assessment is correct. It's much, much, much safer than walking around Detroit, Baltimore, or LA.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Shit happens

The murders sent shock waves up and down the Appalachian Trail. The AT, as it is known to hikers, is something of a national shrine, a peaceful pathway through the mountains, where nearly 4 million people a year try to find respite from the cares of civilization. "Molly and Geoff were prepared for bears and snakes and other wildlife," says Geoff's father, Robin, a physical therapist. "They didn't know their worst enemy would be man.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:29:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You don't need to carry more than 5 or so days of food at any one point with some rare exceptions.  People doing thru hikes usually improvise their meals from items that can be picked up locally (lots of pasta sides, canned tuna, peanut butter, etc..).  Or, as stated above, they do mail drops to themselves.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are several websites that deal with this...how to plan, resupply points, water, shelters...etc...
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I have two pistols I've used on the AT.  My wife and I do a section every year; our next one is 150 miles along the NC/TN border.  I typically just pack my CCW, a Kahr CM9 in a smaller HPG Kit Bag...this is my choice for this year, just because of the distance.  For other hikes, I actually like the S&W Shield 40 and carry with Double Tap's 200 grain hard cast rounds.  My base weight with my HPG Kit Bag and pistol is 16.5 pounds...weight is always an issue and concern, but I've hiked several hundred miles with a Kit Bag and pistol...most likely unnecessary weight, but worth every ounce for my mental comfort  My wife actually packs just her small Kel-Tech P3AT .380.  As most have said, the two-legged predators are really the only threat along the trail as long as you don't sleep with peanut butter smeared all over your feet.

Quoted:
View Quote

Most trails have provisions set up for resupply; the AT is probably the most prolific.  There are only a few stretches where you would be forced to hike 8-10 days without a resupply.  It's a logistics planning activity...planning the days between resupply and then often mailing your resupplies to the designated locations where they will hold your supplies.  It's a convenient way to keep weight down.  I've known several hikers that just shop for resupply every time they come into a town near the trail...it's another option, but a PITA if you're limited on time.

Pack designs can limit food weight as well.  With an 8-day food supply, I'm at the maximum comfort range of my pack (ULA Circuit).  Another consideration is trash...packing all your trash out with you is a must and it's nice to dump in every few days

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

On the trail itself, you're probably safe enough.

It's the trailheads, parking lots, stores, etc that you may frequent while resupplying or travelling to and from the trail. I've been "interviewed" by an urban snowflake when returning to my car. He was staked out by my car, and surprised me when I walked up to it. First thing he noticed was the fact that I was open carrying an FNP 45. His first and only words to me were "Is that a Glock?".

But you never really know. There have been cases of murders along the AT. They're not unheard of even if they're rare.

Black bears I don't worry about. Hogs can be a problem.

Az
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#28]
"Ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain"  

The longer you hike the more you regret extra weight, especially on hilly terrain.  In my younger days I carried some full sized guns but I quickly switched to lighter weight packing including a smaller gun.  My usual carry, if I'm carrying, is a 642 with 158gr swc although I've somewhat switched to an LCP.  I carry either in a camera case on my pack belt of a fanny pack.  With a patch or two sewn on it, it looks right at home- mine has a couple of Grateful Dead patches sewn on it.  The chances of anything on four legs bothering you is remote, the chances of you needed to do anything about them other than yell or clank two pots together is even more rare.  You're more likely to be accosted by some hippie types trying to bestow some "trail magic" upon you, usually food and drinks.  Occasionally there are some shady bastards that show up around trail heads though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's the trailheads, parking lots, stores, etc that you may frequent while resupplying or travelling to and from the trail.
Az
View Quote

^^^This.  I too feel much safer on the trail, but my wife and I will not set up camp close to the shelters or trail-heads.  Anyplace there is easy access to the trail, and especially the shelters", they can attract the much less savory types, and these aren't backpackers.  Don't forget, many attempt to hike off their addictions or work through their mental health issues...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
^^^This.  I too feel much safer on the trail, but my wife and I will not set up camp close to the shelters or trail-heads.  Anyplace there is easy access to the trail, and especially the shelters", they can attract the much less savory types, and these aren't backpackers.  Don't forget, many attempt to hike off their addictions or work through their mental health issues...

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the trailheads, parking lots, stores, etc that you may frequent while resupplying or travelling to and from the trail.

Az

ROCK6
Yep.  If you see crushed beer cans in the fire pit that should be an indicator.  I try not to camp near roads or shelters.  In fact, I like to fill up as much water as I'll need in the valleys (where the shelters and roads generally are) and then camp along the ridgelines

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#31]

You may have seen this already, but...

Bear bites Appalachian Trail hiker in Tennessee

""The injury is a very rare occurrence,” she said. "In the last 10 years, there’ve only been nine human-bear encounters which led to injury” in the national park that straddles the Tennessee-North Carolina state line.

There has been just one bear-related fatality - in 2000 - since the park opened in 1934, Soehn said. There are about 1,600 black bears in the park, which is visited by 10.7 million people annually."

I wonder if there are statistics available for human on human attacks in the park?

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Human bite is quite dangerous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tennessee-bear-idUSKCN0Y32TR

""The injury is a very rare occurrence,” she said. "In the last 10 years, there’ve only been nine human-bear encounters which led to injury” in the national park that straddles the Tennessee-North Carolina state line.
There has been just one bear-related fatality - in 2000 - since the park opened in 1934, Soehn said. There are about 1,600 black bears in the park, which is visited by 10.7 million people annually."

I wonder if there are statistics available for human on human attacks in the park?

rawr
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tennessee-bear-idUSKCN0Y32TR

Ban humans
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#35]

There are stats for assaults in the Smokies.  You'd have to FOIA and then decipher that mess though.  Stuff happens here like anywhere else.  It mostly doesn't make any headlines except maybe in Knoxville.  

Some crazy dude clocked a NOBO thru hiker a couple years ago.  The Ridgerunner called the rangers but otherwise everyone at the shelter hung back while the crazy guy mumbled to himself.  We had a murder at Smokemont last year.  Called out on a homicide last week out on the lake.  It turned out to be false alarm though.  This summer is shaping up to be nuts.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have two pistols I've used on the AT.  My wife and I do a section every year; our next one is 150 miles along the NC/TN border.  I typically just pack my CCW, a Kahr CM9 in a smaller HPG Kit Bag...this is my choice for this year, just because of the distance.  For other hikes, I actually like the S&W Shield 40 and carry with Double Tap's 200 grain hard cast rounds.  My base weight with my HPG Kit Bag and pistol is 16.5 pounds...weight is always an issue and concern, but I've hiked several hundred miles with a Kit Bag and pistol...most likely unnecessary weight, but worth every ounce for my mental comfort  My wife actually packs just her small Kel-Tech P3AT .380.  As most have said, the two-legged predators are really the only threat along the trail as long as you don't sleep with peanut butter smeared all over your feet.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Backpacking%20Gear/Backpacking%20Pistols_zpsjnwycrm5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Backpacking%20Gear/Backpacking%20Pistols_zpsjnwycrm5.jpg</a>
ROCK6
View Quote

I've been considering a 10mm G29g4 for a pilot survival vest as well as for trail use.

My only challenge has been how to mount it to my vest.  

Same situation for trail use.  I've been looking at several large admin panels , like the Condor T&T, and the Countycomm Responder II and mock up a buckle chest harness.

I can press out a kydex holster, with one side flat.  The flat side is totally covered with hook velcro and the holster would be mounted into the Responder at an angle.

Last night someone mentioned the HPG which seems nice as well.

My doodle concerning my kydex (or one of those holster insert things):

Gun in velcro holster in pouch by Dan Passaro, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I section hike the AT each year.  I carry my HK2000SK with 147gr Rangers in my Hill People Gear Kit Bag (big enough for a full size, but why carry the extra weight?).  As others have said, people are by far your greatest threat.

Love the bag by the way, doesn't interfere with my pack straps, it's on me all the time, and is super convenient for carrying other essentials.  Nobody has ever asked any questions about it...some have probably made assumptions, but I couldn't care less.

View Quote

No issues with a sternum strap?

What else can you put in the HPG?

Any inside photos?  I haven't seen any online.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's a bit of advice I learned from my friend's experience:  get a physical before attempting a big hike.  My friend's wife and son were going to spend most of the summer on the trail, and it was cut short when his wife began feeling chest pains.  Turns out she had some arterial blockage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top