Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2016 11:44:27 AM EDT
I picked up a pamphlet for the FL trails association. You have to be a member to thru hike and use the ammenities. But I read application and it includes the promise not to carry firearms on the trail. What's this non-sense? FL law specifically allows open carry for lawful purposes including camping...

I'm sure it's not enforceable by law enforcement but what gives?
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe we discussed this on another thread. The no carry "request" is due to the trail's being located on a lot of private properties.

Concealed is concealed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry always on the trail or not. If I have a day pack on without a waist belt I carry as normal on my right hip, if I have a multi day pack on with a waist belt I throw it in my Hill People Gear Kit Bag. I just unholster my carry gun when the pack goes on and throw it in the kit bag and I am good to go. Plus its handy for items you would rather not take the pack off to get to like headlamps, snacks, maps, GPS, etc.

Kit Bag

No financial interest just a big fan.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#3]
As mentioned, it goes through private land and also military reservation which required an additional pass and no firearms.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Urban I do the ocala north section a bunch....  the trail associations rules don't trump state /fed laws....
And "they " the FTA IMHO need to make rules fir their trail volunteers who turn a nice trail to a four lane highway ....but only after outdoor temps go below 72 ...
Needless to say follow state/fed regs for the area your hiking.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Their hippie organization, their hippie rules.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't hike/camp where I can't carry.

It's like driving on a highway without a seatbelt.

When you need it.....you really need it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Their hippie organization, their hippie rules.
View Quote

Maybe but they dont own the land or trail..and their hippy rules don't trump state /fed law (on state /fed land) .....

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Concealed is concealed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Is there a law enforcement officer out there searching packs?

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Concealed is concealed.
View Quote
+1

Keep in mind also that many hikers are rabid leftists. If you ever read about carrying while hiking on any of the hiking forums it will become very clear you don't want the other hikers knowing you are carrying.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Breaking a "promise" is not breaking a law.

Do what you need to do to be safe, carry concealed and carry on.

Have a good time !!

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#12]
concealed = concealed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:34:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I couldn't imagine going for an extended hike or camping without a firearm. It just seems like a basic tool one should have even if it's just a single stack.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Are there animals in Florida that you need a handgun for?  Or is it mostly others?
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Hippie dippie granola head Bernie types tend to run groups like that.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#16]
As a general rule, I carry concealed anywhere that I won't have to pass through a magnetometer.

On the other hand, by the time I get to the top of the first hill, I'm thinking about abandoning anything over ten pounds of gear.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are there animals in Florida that you need a handgun for?  Or is it mostly others?
View Quote

Lets see..
Black bears
Yotes
Big snakes
Gators
Wild boars
Meth heads

That's the top five.

Two legged ones worry me the most...yotes if I'm hiking with my dog....and bears if they are feeling frisky....
But. Like most things trouble can be avoided.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:25:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I picked up a pamphlet for the FL trails association. You have to be a member to thru hike and use the ammenities. But I read application and it includes the promise not to carry firearms on the trail. What's this non-sense? FL law specifically allows open carry for lawful purposes including camping...

View Quote

"The promise". Sounds like they are just asking you not to. I do carry when I'm out here in AZ but not in CA.

Trail Show podcast - The Florida Trail.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
"The promise". Sounds like they are just asking you not to. I do carry when I'm out here in AZ but not in CA.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Better be worth it....since I hike it
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy ruck are these stoned drunk stoned...typical Colorado dope heads
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Love hippys
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Bunch of trail yuppies...put the shifty ipa down and hit the ft from may to August....
But but there's bugs.....lol
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

Mostly 2 legged concerns but definitely not a bad idea for some on 4.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As a general rule, I carry concealed anywhere that I won't have to pass through a magnetometer.

On the other hand, by the time I get to the top of the first hill, I'm thinking about abandoning anything over ten pounds of gear.
View Quote

There are hills in FLA?

Az
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There are hills in FLA?

Az
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are hills in FLA?

Az

There is after 15 miles of hiking down sugar sand trails in August.
.....?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:24:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lets see..
Black bears
Yotes
Big snakes
Gators
Wild boars
Meth heads
FLORIDA MAN!!!!
That's the top five.

Two legged ones worry me the most...yotes if I'm hiking with my dog....and bears if they are feeling frisky....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets see..
Black bears
Yotes
Big snakes
Gators
Wild boars
Meth heads
FLORIDA MAN!!!!
That's the top five.

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lets see..
Black bears  Shoot one of these and you better perform the other two Ss as well.
Yotes  There was that little baby who was taken by dingos in Australia, but I don't know about coyotes.
Big snakes  Either leave the snake alone, or kill it with a stick.
Gators  If you need a gun for a gator, it's too late.
Wild boars  Florida feral hogs won't mess with you as long as you don't mess with them.
Meth heads  This is why you need to carry.

That's the top five.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets see..
Black bears  Shoot one of these and you better perform the other two Ss as well.
Yotes  There was that little baby who was taken by dingos in Australia, but I don't know about coyotes.
Wild boars  Florida feral hogs won't mess with you as long as you don't mess with them.

That's the top five.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets see..

That's the top five.

I only carry for the bottom.  The rest I was being mildly sarcastic for the northern transplants and lady boys who while sleeping in a tent think a dillo rooting around at night is a 500lb black bear about to charge them.while having a Blair witch cry fest. :)

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As mentioned, it goes through private land and also military reservation which required an additional pass and no firearms.
View Quote

No carry = no go!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top