Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2016 8:10:49 PM EDT
Just to be clear about who those people are, I want to point this out.    They are celebrating his death, complaining he may not be replaced until after the election, and rejoicing.    I rarely look at that site, but upon hearing about  the loss of this great American, I wondered what their post would be like.   It was/is as expected.    Just remember that when you think they are "OK".   Yes, the magazine management is right inline with them.  

I don't associate with anti-gunners, especially in my outdoor adventures.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe I was in the wrong thread...

I noticed a minority with no manners but if anything it was better than I'd have expected...  Backpackers are a notably federalist batch when looking at the whole population.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Backpacker.com forums?

Yeah...there's a few of us here that left that place after they went all political all the time. It's barely 1/100th of what it was years ago. I met over 100 people from that site on trips all over the US. Always a great time. The moderator and his troll friends destroyed it within three years.

now, it's DU disguised as a "backpacking forum"
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:23:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Backpacker.com forums?

Yeah...there's a few of us here that left that place after they went all political all the time. It's barely 1/100th of what it was years ago. I met over 100 people from that site on trips all over the US. Always a great time. The moderator and his troll friends destroyed it within three years.

View Quote

EXACTLY!    Very similar experience.   You knocked it right out of the park.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I hang with a small backpackers group here that does social nights and frequently teaches people new to it about gear, systems, places to go.....etc.

A lot of them ask if there is any good info online....like say...."That backpacker.com site?"

The answer is always , "no". It can not be trusted as a resource.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is that place still around?  I only hung out in the midatlantic forum, but they did some kind of software change and pretty much killed the ability to use the place after that.
View Quote

It's back and just as bad as it's been the last 6-7 years. It generates no traffic, other than DU types posing as backpackers to push politics.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Is that place still around?  I only hung out in the midatlantic forum, but they did some kind of software change and pretty much killed the ability to use the place after that.

Here's the best place for info if you're backpacking the mid atlantic area. http://www.midatlantichikes.com/
View Quote
Thanks! That is a great resource.

I've been using https://www.pahikes.com/ but of course, it's only Pennsylvania.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Jesus, how fucking hard is it to have a discussion forum about backpacking and not bring politics into it?  You know, where like minded individuals could talk about gear, tips, great trips?

Edited because I can't spell.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Jesus, how fucking hard is it to have a discussion forum about backpacking and not bring politics into it?  You know, where like minded individuals could talk about gear, tips, great trips?

Edited because I can't spell.
View Quote

It used to be quite easy, until the loser "moderator" invited trolls to infiltrate and interject politics into anything and everything. Quite easy to do, especially in threads containing land issues. When there was pushback, he would throw timeouts and bans at those with opposing views. It was set up to sniff out anyone who wasn't a flaming liberal and t "cleanse the site". Before you know it, it's 100 percent politics all the time.

I made some lifelong friends there. Got to go to places I thought I'd never see. Shared many great campfires with some great people.

But that website can collectively go fuck itself. It's no wonder it doesn't generate any traffic now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#10]
That is sad.  I am sure the end result turned away some truly great people with lots of solid info/stories to share.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That is sad.  I am sure the end result turned away some truly great people with lots of solid info/stories to share.
View Quote

It did. When I moved 1000 miles away 13 years ago, I found the forum and posted in the Midwest Region forum that i was new and could anyone recommend any resources for places to go and things to do.

The result was I was flooded with maps, books, links and offers to join them on the trail. Two weeks later I was out on trips with them. It was awesome! Like i said. I still get out today with a lot of the ones I met, and stopped counting at 100 people through that site.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 3:32:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Backpacker.com forums?

View Quote

Spot on.   Used to be about backpacking and gear, now it's a liberal echo chamber.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Spot on.   Used to be about backpacking and gear, now it's a liberal echo chamber.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Backpacker.com forums?

I didn't even respond to the OP at first by checking in there to see if that was, in fact, the site he was talking about. I just knew it had to be the one. That's how predictably bad it is as a leftist site trying to draw traffic by pretending to be something else.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Who cares about what some random people on some forum think? Why drag that filth into our nice clean outdoors section?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Backpacker.com forums?

Imagine if there was an unwritten rule in all extracurricular activity forums not to talk about politics, religion, or mommas?

What would ARFCOM look like?  
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Imagine if there was an unwritten rule in all extracurricular activity forums not to talk about politics, religion, or mommas?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Backpacker.com forums?

Yes, but even in GD, you can talk about cars, fruit plates, how to fix a plumbing problem, where to buy the best EDC knife, what to do and where to eat in Tulsa, OK, What tires work best for snowy roads, etc.
The difference is that not every topic gets turned or morphed into a political discussion by people specifically planted there in order to weed out and rid the site of everyone who is not extremely left wing. And THAT is exactly what happened over there.

A simple question about a tent zipper would eventually morph into an "Pro Choice" debate. A question on how long to cook pasta at 11,000 ft altitude would be deliberately steered into a "Climate Change" argument.
All one had to do is disagree with the trolls, even by asking for proof and it was a time out or outright ban. And time outs meant one was targeted, no matter how careful you could be about your semantics , words or opinions.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes, but even in GD, you can talk about cars, fruit plates, how to fix a plumbing problem, where to buy the best EDC knife, what to do and where to eat in Tulsa, OK, What tires work best for snowy roads, etc.
The difference is that not every topic gets turned or morphed into a political discussion by people specifically planted there in order to weed out and rid the site of everyone who is not extremely left wing. And THAT is exactly what happened over there.

A simple question about a tent zipper would eventually morph into an "Pro Choice" debate. A question on how long to cook pasta at 11,000 ft altitude would be deliberately steered into a "Climate Change" argument.
All one had to do is disagree with the trolls, even by asking for proof and it was a time out or outright ban. And time outs meant one was targeted, no matter how careful you could be about your semantics , words or opinions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Backpacker.com forums?

Are you sure about that?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah. You had to be there to see a really cool community of traveling outdoor folk, turned on its ear and systematically destroyed.
I've had at least 20 people traveling through stop by to share dinner before or after trips traveling through. I've stayed at many others. It was a tight community. We left caches of food and stuff for through hikers. We offered shuttles and homes to stay in. It was great.
It was all taken down by a loser moderator and his friends. Unless you had been there, you have asolutley no idea. Zero. None.
The crowd there at that time was better than anything you would find here now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#21]
What is DU?  Duck's Unlimited?  Democrat Universe?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What is DU?  Duck's Unlimited?  Democrat Universe?
View Quote

Democratic Underground. It's another forum.  Go to GD and hold a political mirror up to every non-thought-provoking post and you'll have your answer.  

Instead of FBHO you'll get FBush or something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top