Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2016 5:32:01 PM EDT
I'd like to hear some firsthand experiences with self-inflating sleeping pads, as I'm considering purchasing one.  My camping is exclusively base camp style and my truck is always nearby, so weight is not a factor.  Previously I've either used a cot or an air mattress, but I'm having to start over in the gear department and I recently purchased a replacement tent that is only 7x7 and it's too short to use a cot.  I was originally thinking of getting a full size air mattress, but after camping in the new tent this past weekend I'm thinking an air mattress might take too much room.  After attempting to research self-inflating pads online, I'm finding there are far too many so I'm looking for some input.

I'd like to end up with one that I can lay on my side on and not have my hips feel the ground below me so I'm figuring something 3" thick is in order.  I also want good insulating properties because the bulk of my camping is during winter.  So, is anyone out there able to provide some input?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
thermarest self inflatable mats are pretty sweet, I use a trail scout backpacking. Roll the mat out open the valve it inflates, adjust inflation by blowing into it 1 maybe 2 times and close the valve. When its time to deflate open the valve and roll it back up. They come with compression sacks as well for storage.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 thermarest.

Theyre comfortable even on hard ground.  Next step up in comfort is probably a giant inflatable "spare bed for guests" type dealio
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thermarest or Big Agnes sleeping pads.  Shop around and you can find some great deals on last year's models on closeout.  

Here's some stores to check - REI, Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS), Backcountry.com, Sierra Trading Post.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I use thermorest for backpacking and REI brand for car/tent camping.

Both work great, open the valve, unroll and a couple breaths to get the right firmness.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to think they were stupid.  Then I got one.  Now I think not having one is stupid.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually start any research with a peek at Outdoor Gear Lab.

I have a NeoAir XLite that is nice, you might look into the XTherm if you do a lot in winter.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Therm-a-rest Trail Pro. I've had mine for probably 4-5 years now, it's been patched multiple times due to sharp sticks and cat claws, and is comfortable down to below zero. Like everyone has said, open the valve and let it unroll when you set up the tent, at bedtime give it a few breaths to get to the proper firmness (you don't want it fully inflated because you'll roll on it.) If it's below freezing avoid blowing into it as much as possible, as the moisture can freeze.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info, guys.  Any models I should look at in particular that will get me close to the comfort of the air mattresses I used to use?  It's also important to me to find a sleeping pad, if possible, that won't compress to the point where I feel the ground beneath me even when I sleep on my side.  Is that even doable with one of these self-inflating pads?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Thicker is better.

My 20 year old thermoset (2") is still going strong.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#10]
It's not self-inflating, but I've used this one a few times and it's really comfortable.  

Klymit
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got a Thermarest ProLite and an Original, both are great for three season use depending on the scenario.  Actually slept on the original for over a month when I moved last year.

I'd look at one of the insulated mats for winter.  Here's a link to R-value 6+ mats.

http://www.rei.com/c/sleeping-pads?r=category%3Acamping-and-hiking%7Csleeping-pads-cots-and-hammocks%7Csleeping-pads%3Brange-r-value%3A6%2B&ir=category%3Asleeping-

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:59:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not self-inflating, but I've used this one a few times and it's really comfortable.  

Klymit
View Quote

Not self inflating, but it packs tiny and is almost 3" thick when its inflated. Relatively affordable too.

I use a memory foam mattress topper when I am car camping. The kind from costco works great.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#13]
if just for car camping (not backpacking and space not limited) just go get a 3" foam pad.  That's what I took to Haiti to sleep on a cot for 6 months and used it for years after.

CD
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info, guys.  Any models I should look at in particular that will get me close to the comfort of the air mattresses I used to use?  It's also important to me to find a sleeping pad, if possible, that won't compress to the point where I feel the ground beneath me even when I sleep on my side.  Is that even doable with one of these self-inflating pads?
View Quote

Absolutely, my Trail Pro is 2" thick when inflated and I never feel the ground when on my side. The biggest problem I have is sliding or rolling off it, some pads have straps and some sleeping bags have loops for those straps to keep it from happening. Otherwise, deflating just enough so you're sleeping in a slight depression seems to work best.

These aren't just bladders you fill with air, there's foam inside so even if a puncture causes the air to leak out you still have some cushion and insulation.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I've used the thermarest pads and have come to love my Nemo Tuo. It has two air chambers, one for lots of loft to get insulation from the ground, another for adjusting the firmness of the pad.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the continued input, guys.  I'm reading about everything you all are posting- right now I'm checking out the Therm-a-Rest LuxuryMAP which seems to place priority on comfort and insulation and not pack size (perfect for a car/base camper like me).  Any experience with that one?  

I also stumbled across a Browning Nightfall XL at Bass Pro the other day, but can't find any real info on it online.  Unfortunately they don't have a display model to evaluate- all I know is it's 3" thick and 77" x 30".  I can't track down the R-value of this particular Browning pad, but see it around the 'net for some of their other pads.  Anyone know anything about these?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:58:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Unless I missed it, no one has, as yet, pointed out the fundamental distinction between "air mattresses" and "self-inflating" pads,which is, generally speaking, that air mattresses are just that ---some sort of airtight bladder that may be comfy, so long as it holds air, but even then, conducts heat away from your body via convection ---not desirable in cold  conditions. Self-inflating pads, such as Cascade Design's "Thermarest", and its many mimics/knockoffs combine air pressure for comfort and a foam (or equivalent) filler to disrupt convection, and also provide at least a little cushioning in the event of a leak and loss of air pressure. I routinely use a Thermarest "BaseCamp" mat for the  purpose the OP inquired about, and own other Thermarest products, and am happy to say that one of them eventually, utterly, failed, after about 30 years of occasional/intermittent use, and was cheerfully replaced, without quibbling, at Cascade Designs' insistence, under the company's "Lifetime" warranty ---about which, I ought to say, no warranty could possibly be better... No equipment is perfect, all involves compromise of some sort, but for a general-purpose camp mat, I'll recommend Thermarest in any configuration that suits your application...
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I abandoned self inflating pads long ago.  They are just too thin and uncomfortable for the weight and bulk.

I carry the inflatable Big Agnes mattress now.  Far more comfortable, much more compact when deflated, and lighter.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I have two: a Big Agnes insulated Air Core and a Klymit Static V instulated. The Big Agnes is much more comfortable if you're a side sleeper. The Klymit sucks if you're a side sleeper.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
if just for car camping (not backpacking and space not limited) just go get a 3" foam pad.  That's what I took to Haiti to sleep on a cot for 6 months and used it for years after.
CD
View Quote

THIS.

Seriously.   I have Several self inflating and air mats.     I use them for backpacking, mountaineering, and some hunting.    BUT,  I also have several closed cell foam pads.   I have some lightweight  folding models and inexpensive ones.    They are great to use on top of a cot, especially in cold weather.    They are great to use with an expensive air or self inflating pad to add insulation and to protect the expensive pad.    They are cheap insurance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top