Posted: 1/19/2016 8:33:13 PM EDT
Just curious....
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#1]
What's a "trail name"?

What's YOUR trail name?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
My name is "Poop". No im not kidding. Everyone remembers me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Dang, never heard of trail names.

I think I'll go with Hungwell  
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Same as my rap name... Sir Snacks A' Lot.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#5]
im not a dirty trail hippy
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Limps In The Back
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:18:14 AM EDT
[#7]
"Phil's son" and "Sherpa boy"

Sherpa boy came from one time when almost all 60 miles of trail we were going to hike on was covered in snow in the sierras, but in a mini heatwave, most of it melted off the two weeks before our backpacking trip.  We were unsure of how much was left due to spotty trail reports.  I ended up bringing about 15 lbs more of gear for possible snow issues(rope, crampons, webbing, carabiners, and cold weather gear among other things) so I was rocking probably a 70lb pack due to my preparedness.  A fiew of my fathers and my hiking friends went to move my pack and couldnt lift it...  hence the name.

There was about 2-3 miles total on snow in the end, but boy did I post hole like mad.  I was already 270lbs, this took me over 300 easily and I was lucky I did not jack my ankle or knee up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Same as my Indian name-"bends with a blast" for my flatulance
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#9]
For the last 30 yrs -> 'Clem'
My climbing partner is 'Cal'

When I was in Yosemite, there were all kinds of wild stuff -> 'Tuna Lick', 'Rimmer', 'Russ the Fish' (nick name because he was one slippery con man kinda dude...), etc.

Russ.... <grin>  I actually liked this guy. He was fun to be around if you knew to avoid the cons, scams and questionable dealings. Stuff like whole haul bags of gear with the marking tape removed, etc.

Story time:
Spring of 77' - I'm hanging out in Camp 4 & daily rock climbing. Some C4Bs (Camp 4 Bums) found some bails of dope under the ice of Merced Lake. This started a gold rush of sorts. I wasn't into dope but I have to admit, many of us were tempted to head up there and score some cash. That all came to an end when a black and white helicopter with giant DEA painted on the bottom flew low up the valley and did a couple of 200' AGL passes over the camp, making it clear to back off or else.

Super Topo Story Part 1 & 2 ----> I made all my expenses with the "daily scrounging for nickel-deposit aluminum cans" he mentions. In 15 mins to an hour you could collect enough to eat WELL and pay the camp ground fees.

Rumor has it Boreal Fire Climbing shoes were financed from the crash. Timing was right.

Apparently Russ the Fish got in on this, he drives into camp with a used but nice convertible Cadillac. He wanted someone to drive it down and meet him in JT (Joshua Tree). He cracked me up by repeatedly saying - 'if something happens, just beach the whale and hitch hike' - just like it was throw away. Makes you wonder if it was even registered in his name. Guess you had to be there....

Sorry for the trip down memory lane. I've had a good life, wife and 3 great kids, fun and rewarding career, etc. but these were some of the best times of my life. Totally free - no bills - no one to answer to - do what you want, when you want....Oh ya forgot about the adrenaline junkie rush part - that was cool too.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My name is "Poop". No im not kidding. Everyone remembers me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:19:42 AM EDT
[#11]
The Blue Flame
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#12]
While on the A.T. it was- Stoneface. My step-son gave it to me. We were hiking together.
You can't give the name to yourself IIRC
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's a "trail name"?

What's YOUR trail name?
View Quote

"Wal-Mart Crop Duster"
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I was hiking with some random trail people I met a couple days in on a solo 4 day hike. One of them was an older man who had several medical conditions. It came out in casual conversation about our careers that I am an RN. He proceeded to ask me medical advice the entire day. Asking about his diabetes, gout, high blood pressure, prostate, and weight... I ended up with the name Doc.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Kudzu.

I tend to spread out and take over when I arrive at camp.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#16]
"The Hiker With No Name"

(Cue TGTBATU music)
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Safari.  That's what they called me on the Inca Trail, anyway.

Km82 by FredMan, on Flickr

We had CPU, CPA, Raccoon-eyes, Princess, and me as Safari.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Fat guy in the woods.  Lol.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#19]
"BillyGoat_______"

Finishing/surviving a hike with me is a title my friends have bestowed on each other as a badge of accomplishment.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Guess. It's what my friends have called me for over 25 years.........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top