Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2016 3:57:58 PM EDT
I'm sure with so many military, outdoor and wildlife enthusiasts we have at least a few members who have either hiked the whole Appalachian trail or at least part it.  Many probably are just like me and have it earmarked to get out and do the whole thing at some point in our lives.

If you have experiences with it, pictures, or are even just interested in it.. please post up.  I thought it might be a fun thread for us to talk about hiking, camping, gear setups etc.. in one place.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I hiked the southern 904 miles of the AT in 2013, from Springer Mtn to Shenandoah.  Left the trail due to relationship issues with my now ex (stupid I know.)  Last year I hiked ~62 miles of the White Mtns AT from Franconia Notch to Pinkham Notch.  This summer I'm planning on hiking the 100 miles of Wilderness in Maine from Monson to Katahdin.  If anyone has any questions, ask away!
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hiked the southern 904 miles of the AT in 2013, from Springer Mtn to Shenandoah.  Left the trail due to relationship issues with my now ex (stupid I know.)  Last year I hiked ~62 miles of the White Mtns AT from Franconia Notch to Pinkham Notch.  This summer I'm planning on hiking the 100 miles of Wilderness in Maine from Monson to Katahdin.  If anyone has any questions, ask away!
View Quote

It sounds like anyone who wants to hike through to Katahdin should do it soon. Isn't Maine considering taking Katahdin "off" the official AT?

I will be following this thread with interest, since I would like to at least hike portions of the trail. I enjoy reading/hearing about other people's experiences tackling the AT.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been on a few sections around TN, NC, and VA. My fiancé and I will be thru-hiking for our honeymoon in 2017. We did several backpacking trips the past few years, and I've got around 5k pics to go through from our various adventures. I may do a thread at some point.

Not all on the AT, but we did Grandfather Mtn, Art Loeb Trail from Black Balsam Knob to Cold Mountain, Grayson Highlands, and a bunch of hiking in the GSM and on the BRP last year. Canoe camping in the Everglades last February was fun too.

Here's a random pic. VA highpoint, Mt. Rogers, shrouded with clouds ahead.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I've driven over it a few times...
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Section hiker. Love it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Did the first 220 miles from heading north. ..multi times, actually. Mostly 1week solo section hikes. I live just a few miles away from it here in the Smokey mtns. Re-did a section nearby, last March.

View from the Wayah bald fire tower.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:05:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Chunks of Virginia and North Carolina.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:05:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a sidenote and question. So I was checking into the Florida Trail. You have to be a member of the FL Trail Asoc to freely walk through all the WMAs and use the trail shelters. I'm assuming it is a state run organization. I pulled up the membership form, $35/year and you fill it out and have to check a box "swearing to never carry a firearm"... WTF. Carrying a gun is perfectly legal when you are camping. Why in hell would FL put that as a stipulation for membership. What a F'in joke. No way I would go out onto that trail without carrying something.

What happens if you carry? Language didn't sound enforceable by law..
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:46:40 AM EDT
[#9]
The wife and I section hike parts, twice a week during three of the four seasons. Except last year when I had knee reconstruction just before we were ready to kick off in Spring. As soon as I get the OK from the dr, I'm heading out if it isn't too icy. We generally hike around the mid point marker in southern PA.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just a sidenote and question. So I was checking into the Florida Trail. You have to be a member of the FL Trail Asoc to freely walk through all the WMAs and use the trail shelters. I'm assuming it is a state run organization. I pulled up the membership form, $35/year and you fill it out and have to check a box "swearing to never carry a firearm"... WTF. Carrying a gun is perfectly legal when you are camping. Why in hell would FL put that as a stipulation for membership. What a F'in joke. No way I would go out onto that trail without carrying something.

View Quote

Nobody is going to stop and frisk you.

Something you have to keep in mind is that the Florida Trail is unlike other National Scenic Trails. Trails like the AT, PCT, etc are, for the most part, fixed. The Florida Trail traverses land owned by a multitude of landowners ranging from private landowners like you and me, through corporations, and on to state and Federal land. I wasn't around when this verbiage was added but that would be my explanation.

The FTA is a private organization tasked with the promotion and maintenance of the Trail and the Florida Trail is managed by the USFS not the State of Florida.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

I carried a Kel-Tec P3AT when I hiked on the AT.  I have a NY CCW (home state) and PA & NH out of state CCWs, which made it legal for me to carry over most of the AT (NJ, CT, & MA be damned).

Nobody's checking packs when you hike, never had to worry about it being discovered.  they probably added that line to keep people from hunting on the trail.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I've hiked about 40 miles of the AT in the Smokies and about 10 miles near Roanoke, Va.
Not much lol...

eta: I would love to do the whole thing but it probably won't happen :(
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#13]
spring break in college myself and 5 buddies did sections of the AT around Shenandoah National Park - used it as part of our loop trail - first overnight backpacking trip I ever did and it was awesome! Probably spring 1991

The next year 4 of us did a section around Mt. Washington in Va. probably 1992 I was not in charge of researching the trip, and the buddy who was missed the part about Mt. Rogers having snow into May. The shelter on top was packed with people, we pitched tents in the pines on top, and slept with herds of wild ponies outside.

Sometime after college, a friend had graduated from law school and was doing the whole trail - another buddy and I met him and his dad on the train somewhere in VT (?) swam in a pond and stayed in a shelter. Only hike a little bit that time.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I've always wanted to hike the AT. Or portions of it, at least. I keep delaying it though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 5:36:03 AM EDT
[#15]
My wife and I plan a section every year.  Since we live in GA, we've hiked parts of that section several times, often taking family or friends.  We already have a section planned from Davenport Gap to US19E (just south of Roan Highlands, TN); section distance is 154 miles.  We are just slowly working our way up.  It's hard to do more than 100-150 miles due to logistics and work schedules between the two of us, but this is our "vacation" time.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My wife and I plan a section every year.  Since we live in GA, we've hiked parts of that section several times, often taking family or friends.  We already have a section planned from Davenport Gap to US19E (just south of Roan Highlands, TN); section distance is 154 miles.  We are just slowly working our way up.  It's hard to do more than 100-150 miles due to logistics and work schedules between the two of us, but this is our "vacation" time.  

ROCK6
View Quote

Lived in Asheville for almost five years back in late 80's. Not much interest in things "wilderness" back then which I now regret. Then again I was a constantly cash-strapped student. Yeah, I know....hikers paradise.

I'd like to at least do an overnight on some section of the AT but likely not in the cards due to worsening kidney disease and other health issues. I live vicariously through YT (sintax77 and theoutdoorgearreview channels).
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's hard to do more than 100-150 miles due to logistics and work schedules between the two of us, but this is our "vacation" time.  

ROCK6
View Quote

Logistics are my challenge also coming from FL. I'm beyond a good driving distance now. I think I'm going to just start jumping around to different sections instead of hiking contiguously.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote

Roan Highlands is beautiful!  Wife and I did a section there a couple years back.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#19]
i used to hike sections of it with my mom when i was younger. it ranged from day trips to almost two weeks and everything in between. ive done sections in a few different states
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#20]
All of Georgia, most of NC up to the Smokies and a big chunk north of the Smokies near Johnson City. Looking forward to doing more but job+wife+child have made it hard. The kid is now 4 and likes hiking. We did 4 miles in, camped over night, and 4 miles back out last spring. That was a little much for my daughter who was only a little over 3 at the time. We'll do more this coming spring.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Roan Highlands is beautiful!  Wife and I did a section there a couple years back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

Yeah my wife is pretty stoked.  This won't be as tough as our section year before last as we are doing it in chunks for resupply...still hiking the first leg for a big burger and beer in Hot Springs, TN and then camping at a Hostel after our second leg for resupply (where I'll leave my truck) and then finishing the last leg over the Roan Highlands.  I'll have a couple days left over if all goes well and we'll get a hotel and do some relaxing tubing down the river in Ervin, TN before heading home and back to work.  

Ironically, my wife is planning a trip with a couple gals from our church and here sister at the end of the June, literally two weeks after we get back...doing about 30 miles where the trail goes over Blood Mountain and to Neel's Gap.  I get jealous that she gets all summer to play while Uncle Sam works my ass into the ground

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#22]
ive hiked from rt 16 in PA down to interstate 66 in VA
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:42:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I know your looking for first hand accounts of the  Appalachian trail!
But I thought this may help as well Appalachian Trail :
There seam there are a few videos on hiking that trail.

Just and FYI.

PITA45
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It sounds like anyone who wants to hike through to Katahdin should do it soon. Isn't Maine considering taking Katahdin "off" the official AT?

View Quote

I don't see that happening any time soon, but the BSP could. They've had a lot of issues with thru hikers in the last couple years.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

news article w/ more details
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I hiked about 500 miles, from Harpers Ferry up to Harrimon park in New York, then jumped onto another blue blazed trail that connects all the way into manhattan and grabbed an LIRR train home.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#26]
subscribed.

I would love to but probably never will.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:38:30 AM EDT
[#27]
If you see a guy in a suit...un ass that area post haste.  Someone mentioned also that something like 6 serial killers are actively working the A.P.  Soooo, not just no, but FUCK NO!
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:02:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you see a guy in a suit...un ass that area post haste.  Someone mentioned also that something like 6 serial killers are actively working the A.P.  Soooo, not just no, but FUCK NO!
View Quote

I believe the guy you're referring to was caught. Hammes?
What of this 6? Link or more info?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I've done small parts in Maine and NH.  Franconia Ridge was nice.  The Bigalows (sp?) in ME were fun, and while not the AT route, I did Katahdin via the knife edge trail and it was awesome.  Saw a big bull moose close up on the way back to camp.

Last year I did a section of the PCT in WA and it was fantastic.  I prefer out west, but New England is pretty cool.  Tough trails too, they never heard of switchbacks in ME or NH!  
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I haven't done it. Would like to though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got an uncle that took off a few months from work and is doing it right now. Looks to be in VA. Living vicariously through his updates.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I have completed the section of the AT from Craig Creek Rd (North of Blacksburg, West of Roanoke) to the West Virginia/Maryland state line in Harper's Ferry. I did it in section hikes. My plan is to finish the Maryland part in the next year. Long term I would like to finish all of Virginia, but since I have to do it over weekend hikes it looks like it is going to be a while before that happens - I can get to the trail in southern Pennsylvania in less time than it takes me to get to that southwestern area of Virginia I need to complete.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top