Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2015 11:03:14 AM EDT
I have one of these sitting here unopened that i got as part of a warranty claim.  Haven't used it yet as I am just thinking of selling it but have a couple of questions before I do..

Generally I've found that 2 person tents are really 1 person tents, 3 person tents are 2 person tents....etc...

Exactly how small is this? I like to have some room in a tent, and don't like the feeling of being crowded.  Could it fit one person, a medium sized dog and gear comfortably?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
From the website:

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
That is my current go to tent for backpacking and I am of the same mentality on the tent ratings.  I use the 2 man version and find it luxurious for one person, I keep my pack inside with me and sort of spread stuff out instead of my usual OCD packing and unpacking when in a super small tent.  

Some of my buddies also use the UL2 and have been more adventurous in using up all the space.  Two of my buddies shared one on an overnight climb and insist it was not that tight although they haven't done it since (they where allot warmer than everyone else in the morning).  One of those guys also sleeps in it with his great pyrenees and says it is fine.

So to answer your question yes you can get gear and a medium size dog in it with you comfortably for the night ......   If your not backpacking it in and don't need something lightweight then I would personally get something bigger to avoid any chance of cabin fever.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Copper Spur 3 that my father and I use.  In the past few years, the 3 person tents have come down in weight well into the old 2 person tent weight range.  My Dad always elbowed me at night in our older 2 person tents so we went 3.

The 2 is a true 2 person tent, it is designed to house two people inside, their gear in each vestibule, and no more.  This is to save weight.

It would have no problem and be very comfy doing 1 person, a dog, and gear, especially with two vestibules.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
They are very good tents, all my friends have them. 1,2 and 3 person. the two man would be good for you and a dog, or two close friends. Two people can't change clothes at the same time.
The three man will hold a 5'6' woman,6'4 man and three Shelty's. It's big.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Something to note: I don't like tents and sleep on the ground as much as possible -> tents are for weather....

That being said the tent is a great choice for backpacking use. Light, sets up easy, sheds wind well, etc. The tent is bright inside even in weather. Personally I don't like bright color tents and would rather have earth tones. Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 2 DP is virtually the same tent in green.

Here is a pic inside the UL2 for relative size.

Two 6' guys - 150 to 165# - feet still have clearance on the end plus some head room. As stated above all gear is outside except for clothes and bags. No problems with elbowing or kicking each other in the night.

The tent would work fine for a man, dog and all your gear.

(We must be really bored waiting for the rain to stop if my buddy is taking selfies.....)
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Something to note: I don't like tents and sleep on the ground as much as possible -> tents are for weather....

That being said the tent is a great choice for backpacking use. Light, sets up easy, sheds wind well, etc. The tent is bright inside even in weather. Personally I don't like bright color tents and would rather have earth tones. Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 2 DP is virtually the same tent in green.

Two 6' guys - 150 to 165# - feet still have clearance on the end plus some head room. As stated above all gear is outside except for clothes and bags. No problems with elbowing or kicking each other in the night.

(We must be really bored waiting for the rain to stop if my buddy is taking selfies.....)
http://desertpine.net/images/cs2.jpg
View Quote

I am a mosquito magnet.  My tents are my bug free zones.  I used to like sleeping outside too, falling asleep looking at the stars.. then my eyes went bad, so that became pointless.  I still sleep outside every now and then just out of convenience.

I love relaxing in my tent when it is raining.  Makes for a fantastic nap time. (My MSR Fling hoop tent)

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 5:45:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://desertpine.net/images/cs2.jpg
View Quote

First bolded:  I'm still trying to wrap my head around that...over on bushcraftusa i see a lot of people using tarps only for shelters.  I've never considered that since the area i camp in most (eastern/central PA) is pretty damn buggy.

second bolded:i actually have a sky ledge 3 I bought year before last...Even though it's myself and the dog only, I like the extra room a 3 person tent gives.

sigh...not sure what Im going to do with the Big Agnes tent now...It was a warranty replacement for a tent I bought back in 2005...
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#8]
sigh...not sure what Im going to do with the Big Agnes tent now...It was a warranty replacement for a tent I bought back in 2005...
View Quote

Put it up for sale/trade on Craigslist etcetera...
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd get a Tarptent Double Rainbow instead, it's more spacious, lighter weight and made in the USA for around the same price. Edited-joker581

-Matt
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd get a Tarptent Double Rainbow instead, it's more spacious, lighter weight and made in the USA for around the same price. Edited-joker581

-Matt
View Quote

excellent...thanks I had forgotten about tarptents.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 3:32:05 AM EDT
[#11]

I don't own that one, but info have their fly creek ul2, which is pretty similar.

It's ok for me and my gear.  Or me and one of the little kids (8-10) with gear at their feet.  Tight but ok.

With a dog in the kid's spot...   Depends on your dog and its habits I guess.  I make my Aussie/Gsd mix sleep outside under a tarp.   She'd fit if she'd lay still, but she just can't resist tearing stuff up.   The ul tents are all going to suffer some dog damage.   I've got a TT rain shadow 2 that same dog just trashed some of the lower vent panels...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top