Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2015 12:46:27 AM EDT
Trying to use orux maps off line map feature.  It's set up with the links to open usgs wms maps.  I can open up some of them and create an offline map.  but the resolution is terrible.  The usgs maps that would be like the 7.5' topo maps don't load - I get a bunch of little swirling arrow symbols where the individual plates are.  I've tried reading through their forums, and got nothing.

I know there are other sources for topos that can be used, I jsut haven't figured out how to do that yet.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 1:38:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Never used the one you mentioned but I do use/like Backcountry Navigator or offline maps.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 1:45:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Will look into it.

Have an ancient Magellan GPS unit.  Still works fine, but its just GPS, there are no maps.  Trying to mess with the phone instead of dropping $300-$500 on a new GPS.

Orux is pretty highly rated, but its very confusing to me.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:28:58 AM EDT
[#3]
BackCountry is about as easy as it gets.  Ive been using it for hunting combined with the ultra shitty onxmaps app for property ownership/state land finding.  Onx would be the best if the offline mapping ever worked.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Oruxmaps is a solid app. The problem is it used to have great maps, but they were owned by companies such as Google and Microsoft. For legal reasons it changed to free maps. Some have better resolution than others. You can always make your own and import them. Look into to the desktop program. The other thing is to make sure you have all of the tiles downloaded when you use the app to make the maps. The file can get quite large that way, like 500 Mbs.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I get the usgs wms small scale maps fine.  I get nothing on the usgs large scale maps.

I downloaded the desktop version, haven't been able to do anything with it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:02:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will look into it.

Have an ancient Magellan GPS unit.  Still works fine, but its just GPS, there are no maps.  Trying to mess with the phone instead of dropping $300-$500 on a new GPS.

Orux is pretty highly rated, but its very confusing to me.
View Quote

No need to spen $300 on a map capable GPS. I use Garmin Etrex 20's/30's. Both are map expandable. I got both on clearnce for less than $100 each at Academy a few months ago. Free topo maps at www.gpsfiledepot.com.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top