Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2015 4:13:39 AM EDT
http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/lifestyle/2015/10/04/trek-americas-woman-prepares-for-5-year-walking-trip-from-argentina-to-alaska/

the 29-year-old with the curious inability to sit still is preparing to depart on her next daring expedition: She will attempt to become the first documented woman to travel the length of the Americas — from Ushuaia, Argentina, to Barrow, Alaska — entirely by non-motorized means. The 20,000-mile trek will begin in December and take an estimated five years to complete.

Along the way, Hughes plans to spend time in local villages and bear witness to their way of life, promoting education, opportunities for women and other social issues.

"I really want to inspire others to pursue their own audacious goals," she said, twirling in her fingers a small silver pendant of a woman hiking.

"Our world is only as big as the information that we allow to come into it," Hughes continued, "so I believe being able to share what's going on to the opposite side of the world, and that they're not so different than us, we're going to make it a lot further."

Hughes traces her wandering spirit to her parents, Nazarene missionaries who spent time in Chile, Ecuador and the Dominican Republic during her childhood. Along with spreading the gospel, they instilled in her a passion for the outdoors. Hughes remembers her father going on hikes in the mountains, and she would hide in the back of the family car, popping out when he was far enough that there was no other recourse but to take her along.

What does her father think of her latest endeavor?

"There's a lot of fear," admitted Kendall Hughes, a chaplain at the federal penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kansas.

"Even with financial backing, there's stuff you can run into — river crossings alone are dangerous. I don't know how you can fully prepare."

Hughes understands the risks. She knows winters in the Andes are brutal, summers in the tropics insufferable. The mountains are beautiful but deadly, wildlife always a wildcard.

She fears other people most. Many countries in South and Central America are dangerous, even more so for a woman traveling by bicycle or foot.

Hughes has tried to mitigate the risk by taking wilderness survival courses, where she has learned everything from how to forage for food to how to build shelters. She knows a bit of taekwondo. And she'll have a traveling companion in South America, Lauren Reed, an experienced hiker in her own right whom she met on the Pacific Crest Trail.

"I'm sure things will come up," said Reed, who has also completed the Continental Divide Trail and Appalachian Trail — the so-called Triple Crown of hiking. "Things will happen as they happen, and if there's something dangerous, my hope is we'll figure it out."

Hughes has spent several years planning the trip, saving much of the estimated $12,000 she will need annually working multiple jobs. A few sponsors, such as Hyperlite Mountain Gear, have provided assistance. But most of her support has come through grassroots fundraising.

The plan is to follow the mountains through Argentina, Chile and Peru, then continue north through Ecuador and Colombia. Reed intends to drop off at that point, and Hughes will continue on bicycle through Central America and Mexico, before heading through the U.S. to Canada.

Google Earth has allowed her to plot her path with reasonable accuracy, while DeLorme's GPS system will keep not only keep her on track but allow a team of volunteers back in the U.S. to monitor her progress.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:00:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I love the idea of doing this.

But you would require having nothing in your life, in order to do this.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:20:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#3]
She will be a victim in Mexico.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work out to her satisfaction.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#5]
A Glock 29 would increase her chances of success. If only laws were made to protect the innocent.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:14:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting.   I wish I could go with.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe a guy did this in the 1970s.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish her all the best.
I sure hope she will not end up like Harry Devert the guy riding his Motorcycle from New York to Brazil for the World Cup.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a cool journey but I don't think she will make it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Are we taking bets?  Pregnant, broke, in love, dead, or kidnapped?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:56:49 AM EDT
[#11]
She is starting survival classes?
Balls, she has them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:26:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
She will be a victim in Mexico.
View Quote

Most of central America will be fun for her she may just want to get a sail boat and sail to the US
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#13]
get a fucking job, hippie

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bet a pmag on it.

Animal Attack if she makes it past USA into Canada/Alaska

Drown in river crossing south/central america

But I do hope she actually makes it all the way even if I lose a pmag
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#15]
One word: Dysentery.

That is all.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#16]
She's going to die.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
She's going to die.
View Quote

she's going to quit
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Never make it through Mexico.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like Paddle to the Amazon, by Don Starkell. My folks got me a copy of that when I was twelve and I wanted to do something like it, but never had the sack when I had no kids and would have been smart to drop out of college and do something else, and now I'm all grown up with responsibilities.

I see lots of ways for this to go sideways on her, but I'm still excited to see what happens.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:58:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Not going to make it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Good for her.  

People do crazy shit all the time.  We need people to push this limits of the possible.

Link Posted: 10/22/2015 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Wonder how she's planning to "walk" the gap?  She makes it that far, she will never be seen or heard from again...

DFM
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Sounds like she's a mental case.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:58:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Wonder how she's planning to "walk" the gap?  She makes it that far, she will never be seen or heard from again...

DFM
View Quote
She won't make it out of South America. It's relatively tame compared to Central America and Mexico but a single woman on a walking trip? Reminds me of the lone female hikers being raped and murdered in Nepal a few years back.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#25]
They will never find her body.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top