Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2015 12:24:37 AM EDT
Can we get one of these going?

Tired of the other doom and gloom threads/forums?

Let's just put our feet up, grab a drink of choice, and talk about the good things.

Weather here in AZ is starting to be just right, fishing, hunting, and kayaking are just starting to hit that perfect time.
Think I'll head up to my favorite lake with the wife and our yaks for a day away.

Really, if you need bottom time numbers for a certain size tank, or load info on a specific beaner, there are better places to go, this is just a general BS and relax thread.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:12:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Grabbing my M44 Mosin, AR, and Glock and going innawoods for a weekend away from society for a bit. Need a break from the libtards trying to grab my guns and all the other sad stuff in the news.

Now the question - supposedly FireBall whiskey is palatable if you mix it into hard cider. Fo or no?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:15:08 AM EDT
[#2]
It could be good, depending on the ratio.
Too much Fireball would be like mouthwash though.

Mix and match to your preference.
Heck, it's alcohol in the outback, take what you don't add as a backup buzz!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:26:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It could be good, depending on the ratio.

Too much Fireball would be like mouthwash though.

Mix and match to your preference.

Heck, it's alcohol in the outback, take what you don't add as a backup buzz!
View Quote

So chase the Fireball with cider, gotcha

Probably start with half a shot Fireball into 12 oz. of cider and strengthen from there. Something to sip on while toasting marshmallows...will report back!

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:01:26 AM EDT
[#4]
You shall call them...
Marshmallow candy apples!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I just pour an 8oz glass of fireball and drink.  You mix it?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes! The weather is cooling off, but a little wet here in GA.  My wife and I are planning a 150 mile section of TN/NC AT in early June to continue our sections hikes.  But first, we missed our opportunity this past summer to visit Zion National Park on our trip out West.  We are going to brave the trip during Spring Break (first part of April) this spring.  Plan is to drive on out and spend a week tent camping and hiking the park and surrounding areas.  This will likely be one of the last trips we get to take with our son who plans to do Basic Training this next summer and all the high school senior activities hitting us next year. Hoping for some decent weather (no blizzards or flashflood!), even if cool but clear it will make the  trip worthwhile.  Also, it's a good opportunity to hit a few small eateries and bars to expand my hobby of micro-brew taste-testing

Our AT hike will go through a couple small towns over 10-12 day trek and we'll be staying at a nice little micro-brew/tavern/Inn in Hot Springs, NC...the best way to recover from the trail is a cold beer  That should be another great vacation for my wife and I.  

Drink of choice?  Anything local, cold (beer preference) and possibly very "hoppy"...

Cheers!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my feel good pictures from the farm;

Doc
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I need to excersize my Mosins and try out my new 91/59 that I haven't shot yet. That would be a good afternoon and give me a bit of sorely missed trigger time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll be taking my daughter on another overnighter this weekend in a PA state forest. It'll be some nice, relaxing dirt time.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Took this picture a couple of months ago.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Crap, forgot about a little trip I did a couple weeks ago...I try to sneak out for a few days in the fall to do some fly fishing and decompression...the steak was cooked to perfection on my Purcell trench grill over some hot coals.  Add a river-cooled Guinness along with a river side view...ah, the simple joys of life!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Too danged hot for my usual desert haunts.  I'm just going to go surf fishing tomorrow.  Be done before it gets too hot one way or another.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Just returned from a Cub Scout camporee.  Had to tent camp...makes me appreciate the hammock more.  Car camping is so easy.  Just pull my footlocker from the garage and go.  My go box.  Did manage to get some CW action in on the radio....since the truck was there and everything.....
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Crap, forgot about a little trip I did a couple weeks ago...I try to sneak out for a few days in the fall to do some fly fishing and decompression...the steak was cooked to perfection on my Purcell trench grill over some hot coals.  Add a river-cooled Guinness along with a river side view...ah, the simple joys of life!

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/DSCF8370_zpshfhtm9o8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/DSCF8370_zpshfhtm9o8.jpg</a>

ROCK6
View Quote

10+++
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Now the question - supposedly FireBall whiskey is palatable if you mix it into hard cider. Fo or no?
View Quote

Never heard of that one. You could mix apple brandy with apple cider. That's mighty tasty. You could also use the apple brandy to cook with, if you're into that sort of thing. I suggest serving this over mashed red skin potatoes:

Chicken With Apple-Brandy Cream Sauce

Prep Time: 10 mins
   Total Time: 25 mins
   Servings: 4

About This Recipe

"From the Braddock's Tavern, Medford, NJ, this is a really rich and elegant entree."
Ingredients

3 tablespoons butter
       4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
       all-purpose flour
       3 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, sliced
       1/2 cup Applejack or 1/2 cup calvados
       1/4 cup brandy
       1 cup whipping cream

Directions

Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
   Season chicken with salt and pepper.
   Coat with flour, shaking off excess.
   Add chicken to skillet and cook until brown on both sides and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
   Transfer to platter.
   Pour off all but 1 tablespoon butter from skillet.
   Add apples and both brandies; simmer over medium heat until apples are tender and liquid is slightly syrupy, about 7 minutes.
   Using slotted spoon, transfer apples to platter with chicken.
   Add cream to skillet; boil until thickened to sauce consistency, about 5 minutes.
   Season with salt and pepper.
   Return chicken and apples to skillet and heat through, about 2 minutes.
   Arrange chicken on plates.
   Spoon apples and sauce over and serve.

Source: http://www.food.com/recipeprint.do?rid=249007
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I was hoping to get back to this spot before the year ends. Guess that won't happen with the way work has been going.
Google Caney Creek Falls. I went camping here back in march with some Alabama Arfcommers.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 4:39:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Did a fun hike with the family at the lake around here Sunday.   Was a blast.  Woke up Monday with horrible chigger bites, damn things got me and the wife good but spared the kiddo.  

Weather is hot but changing cooler this week and hopefully for the rest of fall.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Gunslinger, great thread!

Going camping up at Tonto Creek this weekend!  Going to hike up to Hornton springs and do some fishing as well.

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#19]
The puppy and I a couple weeks ago....

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#20]
It's getting a bit nipply in SE VA.  I see my kale is coming along well, and I should probably pull the carrots.  And turn over the mulch pile.  Um... anybody heard the new Adele album?
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:54:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Hit up the Grand Canyon on Thanksgiving... luckily we were in a hotel.

It was cold up top, the bottom had to be nice during the day and there were a lot of backpackers around.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 2:18:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Good thread!

Couple weekends ago, last tent camp for hunting season.  Cold and damp but still a good time.

Camp:

Boots were damp for 3 days.  Its hard to dry gear in a tent:

Collecting some birch bark while hunting so we can build fire with ease:

Time to pack up and head out:

"Hauler" packs work great for lots of gear!
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Broke birds on Sunday! 10 to 20 guys get together
(depending on the weather) every Sunday to play games!
Oakely  as well as Chips! $2.00 a shooter
Pot goes to winner after we pay for the birds!
We have a few women shooters. Now and then.
Great time away from the house. Wife knows she can come!
But she does not!(Watch next week she will make me out to be a lair!!!)
We have coffee on and a fire barrel to keep the chill off.
Hell sometimes one of the guys will bring a pot of bean soup or chili!!!
Great time if you don't take the games to seriously!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Went out on Monday to do a little fishing, it's been pretty slow since the weather cooled (subjective for AZ, it was 75), but it's nice just to get away for a few hours.
Caught a few smaller Bass that I released, then hooked into this big momma!
Biggest Bass I've ever caught here in Arizona, weighed it with a trigger pull scale as I never bought a proper fish weigher.

7.5 pounds of fight and attitude, was actually wondering if I could land it on the tackle I was using!

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#26]
This hunting season has been great for me.  Since early September I've been out in the woods at least 20 times.  A lot of time spent in nature, with plenty of great sunrises and a few sunsets.  And I've put three deer in the freezer, so that's a bonus!
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
derrick, do you guys just grab a spot in the Adirondacks? I was astounded by that area this year when I finally got up there- just wow! Amazing access.
<snip>
View Quote

Yea, those last pics I posted was about 4 miles into a wilderness area, no camp sites...  I had 4 days so I filled my pack with gear and headed off into a favorite hunting spot of ours that's hard to get to because its semi land locked by a private club, go out and way around kind of thing...  I got camp set, spent the first night and my father met me there the next day and we hunted all weekend out of the tent.  I actually passed on a small 6 pointer that weekend.  He was small, and was about 12 miles from the vehicle.  At that point we field butcher and pack it out.  Pack with gear was about 50~60 pounds as it is, so when we are doing that we try to do a little more trophy hunting vs just filling our tags.  Started to regret that decision as I saw no other bucks until the last day of our season when I bagged this:

Right place at the right time.  Though there was hardly any buck sign this season, and was previously touting it as crappy season... I really can't complain anymore.  

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#29]
thederrick106, that is a serious nice Buck!
You really did well.

And...
I'm such a dork, label a thread fireside chat yet never even posted a fireside pic!

To remedy that, I submit a pic from tonight, wife and I sitting out back drinking a few and enjoying the warm.

ETA...
Beer can was my pellet pistol target, not just slobbing it by throwing empties everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
thederrick106, that is a serious nice Buck!
You really did well.

And...
I'm such a dork, label a thread fireside chat yet never even posted a fireside pic!

To remedy that, I submit a pic from tonight, wife and I sitting out back drinking a few and enjoying the warm.

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47/Gunslinger8O8/fire.jpg

ETA...
Beer can was my pellet pistol target, not just slobbing it by throwing empties everywhere.
View Quote

NICE!  
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 12:22:42 AM EDT
[#31]
After a morning of stressing about money and bills and Christmas and all the crap that goes with the holidays, and then a relaxing evening with family and early presents and fun, I started to remind myself of all that we have and how fortunate we really are.

Tonight is the first wintery night of the year so far. Blowing snow and 23 degrees as I type this. The weather is pretty wicked right now. My wife's oldest son and his girlfriend are on their way back to our house because they don't want to drive the hour home in the storm. I'm waiting incase I need to go help them right now.

I'm right in the middle of burning one of my kerosene heaters out to clean the wick so it will be ready to go in the morning to warm up our downstairs nice and toasty. We will be eating our own home grown eggs and our own home grown bacon with the warmth of that heater making everyone comfortable and happy. It will be a wonderful morning.

I know that if the power goes out we will all be warm and healthy when the sun comes up again. Fear long ago gave way to greatfulness and peace.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 3:33:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
After a morning of stressing about money and bills and Christmas and all the crap that goes with the holidays, and then a relaxing evening with family and early presents and fun, I started to remind myself of all that we have and how fortunate we really are.

Tonight is the first wintery night of the year so far. Blowing snow and 23 degrees as I type this. The weather is pretty wicked right now. My wife's oldest son and his girlfriend are on their way back to our house because they don't want to drive the hour home in the storm. I'm waiting incase I need to go help them right now.

I'm right in the middle of burning one of my kerosene heaters out to clean the wick so it will be ready to go in the morning to warm up our downstairs nice and toasty. We will be eating our own home grown eggs and our own home grown bacon with the warmth of that heater making everyone comfortable and happy. It will be a wonderful morning.

I know that if the power goes out we will all be warm and healthy when the sun comes up again. Fear long ago gave way to greatfulness and peace.
View Quote

Right on brother!  I think that's one thing we often forget, and that's how fortunate and blessed most of us our.  I have never had to worry about where my next meal is going to come from, many in this world can't say the same.

Many of us sleep outside under a tarp for fun...  I be there are more people then we can count, that do that out of necessity.

Merry Christmas fellow ArfCommers!  Let us not forget how blessed we really are.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Always wanted to hunt in the Alaska brush so I convinced two of my A-Team friends from the 80’s and we decided to try.  The plan (all plans survive until the first action is taken) was set up a camp on the Good Pasture River about 100 miles East of Fairbanks and the other two with kids's would show up after the camp was established.  
Drove to a friend’s house to help load the Jet Boat and found out the load had increased by two 14 year olds for their 1st hunt (ever).  This was just one of many changes to include my buddies not showing up; us changing camp after one week, and a late night visit of some of the local bears after some boys did not head the no food near the tents rule.  Had a great time hunting, fishing, and farming (later).  So I thought I would share some photos.

The marksmanship test before the hunt

The Boat trip (1st load) up the river.

The view from the ride to camp

Camp established

Catching Arctic Grayling for dinner.

Camp Fire Photo with the Bear Guard

Drifting the river looking for dinner

The 2nd week after we moved camp farming for 15 days 1000 acres of hay.

Saw lots of them and bears just not legal ones.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Always wanted to hunt in the Alaska brush so I convinced two of my A-Team friends from the 80’s and we decided to try.  The plan (all plans survive until the first action is taken) was set up a camp on the Good Pasture River about 100 miles East of Fairbanks and the other two with kids's would show up after the camp was established.  
Drove to a friend’s house to help load the Jet Boat and found out the load had increased by two 14 year olds for their 1st hunt (ever).  This was just one of many changes to include my buddies not showing up; us changing camp after one week, and a late night visit of some of the local bears after some boys did not head the no food near the tents rule.  Had a great time hunting, fishing, and farming (later).  So I thought I would share some photos.

The marksmanship test before the hunt
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q427/Old18C/History/AK%20Road%20trip%20089_zpsyqngo9az.jpg

The Boat trip (1st load) up the river.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q427/Old18C/History/AK%20Road%20trip%20033_zpsf2zcvsiw.jpg

The view from the ride to camp
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q427/Old18C/History/20150907_131812_zpsj93nopij.jpg

Camp established
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q427/Old18C/History/AK%20Road%20trip%20122_zpsmarlhsh5.jpg

Catching Arctic Grayling for dinner.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q427/Old18C/History/AK%20Road%20trip%20111_zps704crt21.jpg

Camp Fire Photo with the Bear Guard
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q427/Old18C/History/AK%20Road%20trip%20109_zpstvm1a612.jpg

Drifting the river looking for dinner
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q427/Old18C/History/AK%20Road%20trip%20118_zpsajfblvjm.jpg

The 2nd week after we moved camp farming for 15 days 1000 acres of hay.
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q427/Old18C/History/AK%20Road%20trip%20143_zpslqxtbopw.jpg

Saw lots of them and bears just not legal ones.
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q427/Old18C/History/AK%20Road%20trip%20142_zpsdfh2x6ur.jpg
View Quote

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

What time of year was this?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

What time of year was this?
View Quote

September 1 was the first day were were late waiting for others.  The date on the photos is DAY/Mouth/Year.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#37]
A couple nights ago the family and I were sitting around the campfire talking about John Muir and his saying "I was in the mountains, and the mountains were in me."  I was explaining it to the wife, and asking her where she felt "at home" or a sense of belonging to the land.  I then asked the kid, "where do you feel most at home, or most yourself" and she answered, in the most grown-up, honest voice she could give "when I'm with you."

Just a little anecdote, but something I'll remember for a long time to come.  I love sitting around a camp fire  
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#39]

I like pie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top