Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2015 1:28:48 PM EDT
So iv wanted a tent like this for many years now. I recently got one and while its usable it is in fairly  used/abused condition and im wondering the best way to bring it back to good condition. It is surplus and has been put away wet several times. Now i have no problem removing rust from the d rings and clips and sanding and repainting the tent frame, i do need some advice on bringing back the worn/mildewed fabric for water proofing and heat retention. I can see light through some of the fabric and from what i can tell the main fabric from which it is made out of is fine but the waterproofing/color,filling between the fabric strands is mildewed/worn out.

Now when i stood the tent up and saw the issues the tent had my first thought was to get some latex paint in OD green and water it down a bit and paint it on the entire tent. However while this may work from the reading iv done  the tent when folded up will want to stick together which would be a problem. Im fairly certain a water proofing spray will do nothing to strengthen the fabric or lessen air permeability or bring it back to its glory.  One good thing about the tent is that the cold weather liner was in excellent condition and after washing it in an industrial washing machine im very happy with it.

Constructive advise is appreciated
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got an email that Old Grouch has OD green cotton canvass by the yard.  You might look into getting that, and then talking to a local pool cover maker or upholstery company to replace the worst panels. (I would have said sailmaker, but then I saw your location.)
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont consider it to be that far gone, not to mention i live far enough out in the boonies that im lucky to have DSL. We have a Kmart here, need i say more? If you look at this tent on Egay and you take a close look at the pic with the guys hand in it you will see what im talking about. I can see light through them on mine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILITARY-SURPLUS-10x10-SOLDIER-CREW-TENT-ARMY-FREE-STANDING-CAMPING-HUNTING-/321809323752?hash=item4aed5496e8

My tent is in similar condition except for the fact that its been put away wet once or twice leading to staining/mildew/rust in places. I would have been pissed if i spent what the ebay guy is asking and saw light through the tent wall, i paid half that for mine
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
once you have repaired your tent. to prevent mildew and sticking use a product called Sailkote

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]
does that stuff have any color to it, im picturing a white dust but ill see if there is a youtube vid
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive never used it on fabric. I use it to dry coat a ciener rimfire kit in a full auto m16, inside magazines and followers, plastic ammo loaders of different makes etc. It does have kind of a milky glaze on metal and plastic. Not dusty at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top