Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL

Jax, do you have videos of any of those seminars?  If so, would you mind PMing me a link or something?  I'd love to see what you're teaching others...
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
honestly I wish I went with separate skeeter net.  When it's 36 degrees mosquitos are the least of my problems
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
in my opinion, the Hennessy Jungle Asym zip is the best all around hammock that you dont really have to upgrade out of the box.

has integral mosquito netting

Attached netting is a deal killer for me. Not enough flexibility. ymmv

you know how I know you haven't been backpacking with a hammock?

if you want a lounging hammock also, buy an ENO, they're very popular with teenage girls.
honestly I wish I went with separate skeeter net.  When it's 36 degrees mosquitos are the least of my problems

I just flip my hammock over when I don't need the netting.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 11:01:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
LOL

Jax, do you have videos of any of those seminars?  If so, would you mind PMing me a link or something?  I'd love to see what you're teaching others...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
LOL

Unfortunately, while it's something I want to do I have yet to make it happen. I'm well overdue for one, though. Let me see if I can put something together with our outfitter. I'm proud to say they told me it was the biggest turnout they'd had for one of their seminars. I'm sure they'd be happy to host me again. I just need to find someplace where I can rent/borrow a good lav mic so the audio doesn't suck.

I'm looking for my notes to give you an idea of what I cover. I found these quotes, so far. I swear I didn't just make them up.

Lots of good information

does a spectacular job of demostrating (sic) hammocks

You will definitely learn a lot!

made me want to get a hammock

Quoted:

This can work depending on your hammock. But why take it if you don't need it?

Right now I'd have to say that the most flexible hammock in my arsenal is my Thunderbird from Randy (aka PapaSmurf) at Dream Hammocks. It comes with both netting AND an overcover which are both completely removable. Carry only what you need/want.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Many thanks!

The Dream Hammock is what I've been looking at, just followed the link from ugq's page.  I've played with their configuration tool, but not sure what I'm doing
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Dude, I forget the exact name of it and I'm too lazy to look it up, but their 1.6 diamond weave is flippin' awesome!

I have two hammocks that are absolutely luxurious. The Lite Owl and Thunderbird. I totally love the feel of both fabrics. When I had Randy make my Thunderbird I threw caution to the wind and decided to try the diamond. I love it. Sure, it's slightly heavier than the 1.1 but it's a great material. The Smurfs are great people too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Right now I'd have to say that the most flexible hammock in my arsenal is my Thunderbird from Randy (aka PapaSmurf) at Dream Hammocks. It comes with both netting AND an overcover which are both completely removable. Carry only what you need/want.
View Quote

this actually illustrates why I feel that a "out of the box" hennessy is a better option for someone getting into hammockking (word?)..
Your Thunderbird is $210 without shipping, without stakes for the guy lines, without a tarp..
you also have to rig a second line above the hammock in order to set the tarp (when you buy one).

For a guy that spends more than 20 days a year in the woods, sure, get something that can be customized..
For someone who's trying if for the first time and doesn't spend more than 10 nights in the woods in a year.. get a Hennessy for $170 and have a great all in one entry level system that works like a champ right out of the box.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#7]
... so I've only seen ENO mentioned derisively -- is it a truly inferior brand, or is it akin to the LaRue jockeys making fun of the Pony Parade who look down on the purple Bushwacker crowd?
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
... so I've only seen ENO mentioned derisively -- is it a truly inferior brand, or is it akin to the LaRue jockeys making fun of the Pony Parade who look down on the purple Bushwacker crowd?
View Quote

Eno is a great "keep in the trunk" lounging hammock.
they're simple, compact, lightweight..
but
in order to take one on a backpacking trip, you're going to (IMO) need to add a bug net and a tarp.

they dont have guy lines that help to stabilize the hammock when you're in it.
they're not made of any water repellent materials.

they're a great NAP hammock, but they're not a great SLEEPING hammock (again, IMO)
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

but
in order to take one on a backpacking trip, you're going to (IMO) need to add a bug net and a tarp.

they're a great NAP hammock, but they're not a great SLEEPING hammock (again, IMO)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but

Whelp, already have a tarp (garage sale "tent" that was just poles & rain fly ), won't need a net in this weather, ... I'll let everyone know how it goes in two weeks
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

this actually illustrates why I feel that a "out of the box" hennessy is a better option for someone getting into hammockking (word?)..
Your Thunderbird is $210 without shipping, without stakes for the guy lines, without a tarp..
you also have to rig a second line above the hammock in order to set the tarp (when you buy one).

For a guy that spends more than 20 days a year in the woods, sure, get something that can be customized..
For someone who's trying if for the first time and doesn't spend more than 10 nights in the woods in a year.. get a Hennessy for $170 and have a great all in one entry level system that works like a champ right out of the box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you don't have to spend $210.

Weight Weenie w/suspension: $75
Kelty Noah 12' tarp: $70
MexiNet: $37
Total: $182

This is just one sample. The point being that you can mix/match based on needs and cost.

Here's one issue I have with Hennessy...the tarp. I know a lot of people say that but my reasons are generally different. For me it's not whether or not that tarp works but rather the flexibility (or lack thereof) that it provides. Have you ever tried sitting under your Hennessy tarp during a heavy downpour? If it's anything like mine, it's impossible. The tarp may very well keep you dry INSIDE your hammock, but what if you want to get out and cook while it's raining? Not gonna happen.

You may see a recurring theme in my responses. Flexibility. That is, imho, the number one factor which propels hammocks above tents.

I get your point about an out-of-the-box solution. I also know too many people that run to REI or another outfitter and buy a Hennessy, ENO, Grand Trunk, or Kammock because that's what's on the shelf only to realize they hate hammocks. But is it because it really sucks or is it because they bought the wrong hammock? If you're a taller person a 9' or 10' hammock might not be comfortable. If you're a large person you might feel too much shoulder squeeze which can be remedied with a wider hammock. That's my problem with off-the-shelf solutions. Easy? Yes. Perfect? Nope.

As WTF said, he's already got a tarp. I know guys that just a $5 blue Wal-Mart tarp. You don't HAVE to spend a ton of money. Heck, spend a few bucks to buy some ripstop and you can easily make your own hammock.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 11:43:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Is there an ARFCOM of hammocks out there someplace?
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#12]
hammockforums.net
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got back from a 3-day trip...

It was in the low 30s at night with a slight breeze

Went topless in my Warbonnet Blackbird because of clear skies and no bugs at this elevation.

Used my HammockGear top and bottom quilt and stayed toasty.

My hammock on the left. My son uses a Selk'bag (http://www.selkbagusa.com/5G-Kids.aspx) in a cheapie hammock hung with Kammock Python straps with a foam pad as bottom insulation. Works just fine for him.

Link Posted: 10/16/2015 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
in my opinion, the Hennessy Jungle Asym zip is the best all around hammock that you dont really have to upgrade out of the box.

has integral mosquito netting

Attached netting is a deal killer for me. Not enough flexibility. ymmv

if you want a lounging hammock also, buy an ENO, they're very popular with teenage girls.

Holy shit

Link Posted: 10/16/2015 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Love that scenery!

I really want to get back out west.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Dude, I forget the exact name of it and I'm too lazy to look it up, but their 1.6 diamond weave is flippin' awesome!

I have two hammocks that are absolutely luxurious. The Lite Owl and Thunderbird. I totally love the feel of both fabrics. When I had Randy make my Thunderbird I threw caution to the wind and decided to try the diamond. I love it. Sure, it's slightly heavier than the 1.1 but it's a great material. The Smurfs are great people too.
View Quote

Single or double layer?
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I went with the single. I have several doubles but aside from the Lite Owl I don't use them much. If the Snipe used the same material as the Lite Owl I'd use that instead.

Usually you'd use the DL to hold a sleeping pad or other insulation. If I'm using insulation I have an underquilt so the DL is just additional weight. If I'm warm-weather hiking, though, I'll use one for additional skeeter protection if I decide to go bare (no UQ).
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Love that scenery!

I really want to get back out west.
View Quote

Mo pics in my GD thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1798140_.html&page=1&anc=56151443#i56151443
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I went with the single. I have several doubles but aside from the Lite Owl I don't use them much. If the Snipe used the same material as the Lite Owl I'd use that instead.

Usually you'd use the DL to hold a sleeping pad or other insulation. If I'm using insulation I have an underquilt so the DL is just additional weight. If I'm warm-weather hiking, though, I'll use one for additional skeeter protection if I decide to go bare (no UQ).
View Quote

I'm thinking about getting a single now that I have a quality UQ...
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Yukon Outfitters hammock rainfly on Woot today.   $19.99
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Is a poncho liner underguilt worth building? what's a better option that won't break the bank?
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is a poncho liner underguilt worth building? what's a better option that won't break the bank?
View Quote

I've used a poncho liner. It depends on how hot/cold you sleep.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Apparently UQs made from Costco quilts are popular now
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Shouldn't be that hard to make if you can sew. Fold over the long edges to make a channel for your suspension. Fold over the short edges to make a channel for a drawstring to cinch/vent the ends. Attach some quilt hooks to secure it to the hammock. Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Arrowhead Equipment Jarbidge. Great UQ for $100. I bought three for the family and we all like them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I concur. I don't use mine much since I'm so in love with down but it's a great quilt/value.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Shouldn't be that hard to make if you can sew. Fold over the long edges to make a channel for your suspension. Fold over the short edges to make a channel for a drawstring to cinch/vent the ends. Attach some quilt hooks to secure it to the hammock. Easy peasy.
View Quote

I did it with a poly fill quilt I stole from first class delta.  Works good down to about 50 but has issues with my shoulders, shopping for a used down extra large bag to try pea pod set up.  Can't seem to get UQ to hug shoulders effectively
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Have you tried quilt hooks to hold it in place?
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Tagging this for more info.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for linking to that page. Have you used any of their tarps?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 of my 3 tarps are from http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/

they probably have the worst customer service in the world, but their tarps are solid.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been using a Hennessy set up with their shell with great success. I leave the shell on all the time; it packs into the snake skins. In warm weather it keeps mosquitos from biting my back. As it gets colder I add a closed cell foam pad and/or various insulation (clothing, light sleeping bag, etc). I routinely camp in freezing weather with it, although I have to add a space blanket layer for the really cold nights. Coldest night was 25 degrees. Would not take it any lower without a down underquilt. For that night i had a space blanket, 30 degree down bag, and my jacket in the shell, and a zero degree bag in the hammock.

Also highly recommend the hex tarp (free upgrade) that they offer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think Dutch makes tarps but he does sell the Tadpole from Wilderness Logics. While I haven't tried the Tadpole, I do have two WL hammocks and my Lite Owl is awesome. If I needed a tarp I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Tadpole.

Quoted:

they probably have the worst customer service in the world, but their tarps are solid.

Brian's customer service is abysmal. Fortunately, I got my MacCat Deluxe when he was still a starving college kid. I'd have a hard time recommending someone order from him these days. It's a shame, too. He really does make an awesome tarp.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't think Dutch makes tarps but he does sell the Tadpole from Wilderness Logics. While I haven't tried the Tadpole, I do have two WL hammocks and my Lite Owl is awesome. If I needed a tarp I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Tadpole.

Brian's customer service is abysmal. Fortunately, I got my MacCat Deluxe when he was still a starving college kid. I'd have a hard time recommending someone order from him these days. It's a shame, too. He really does make an awesome tarp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry brain fart, I meant hammocks.  
That $35 job is real tempting. Ive been wanting to try a longer hammock to see how comfortable they are.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not even abysmal... it's non-existent.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I really like my Warbonnet Superfly

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That $35 job is real tempting. Ive been wanting to try a longer hammock to see how comfortable they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, ya still got me.
I like the sounds of some of the materials and the pricing is a little better than BIAS. I'd go with the knotty mod.

Quoted:
It's not even abysmal... it's non-existent.

So I hear.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Ok then

I've sold my Blackbird and I'm buying a Dream Hammock
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone using a sleeping bag liner for the extra chilly nights? I've got a 20* top and bottom down quilt setup, a winter sock from Dutch which gives me an extra 10*. I'm looking to maybe push my setup just another few degrees in case I need to this winter. I know people complain about having to worm their way in to a bag type setup but if it keeps me warm I don't mind it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ok then

View Quote

Which one?
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Anyone using a sleeping bag liner for the extra chilly nights? I've got a 20* top and bottom down quilt setup, a winter sock from Dutch which gives me an extra 10*. I'm looking to maybe push my setup just another few degrees in case I need to this winter. I know people complain about having to worm their way in to a bag type setup but if it keeps me warm I don't mind it.
View Quote

For ground camping I just pack sweatpants or thermal undies, light sweatshirt instead of a liner, works just the same for me. Some people cant sleep in socks and clothing so a liner is a better bet, and they do make it harder to get in and have everything "aligned" in a hammock.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

For ground camping I just pack sweatpants or thermal undies, light sweatshirt instead of a liner, works just the same for me. Some people cant sleep in socks and clothing so a liner is a better bet, and they do make it harder to get in and have everything "aligned" in a hammock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I "togg up" when its cold.  It involves wearing all my packed clothing and my frog toggs over top then using overquilt
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Which one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok then

Which one?

Single layer Sparrow with the Hex 70 fabric
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Cool. Can't wait to see it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 2:57:01 AM EDT
[#47]

I had the Hennessy Asym, couldn't get comfortable in it and sold it. If bugs don't both you, nothing is better than an open hammock. The eno sides come up to high and block any sort of view. The Traveler is just right for me.

My current setup.

Warbonnet Traveler
Hammock Gear Incubator

Warbonnet Edge

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:01:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Besides the weight and having to use a air mattress looking at Shug's Video, in foul weather you can't pitch the tarp low enough. He seems to love them all tho.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#49]
I just picked up the Apex Climashield filled QUICKHANG from Simply light designs..

I'm interested in setting it up (haven't yet due to the workload) but I've been happy with everything I've ever purchased from Jared.  (I believe he makes everything, so custom work isn't as CRAZY as it is some other places)

and the customer service is great I hear (never had to use it)..

I'm drooling over his CubenFiber "Winter Haven" Hammock Tarp...
I'm sure that will be my next investment.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Seriously? You know how I know you're a xxx?

I've probably forgotten more about hammocks than you've even known. But you're right, I don't know anything about backpacking with a hammock.

This would be my Tree to Trail Gear Light Hiker.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/gear/hammocks/P1020352-640_zpsx950d0xn.jpg

My Wilderness Logics Lite Owl being setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/gear/hammocks/LO-OP-640_zpsd7244145.jpg

Here I am in the Ocala Natl Forest.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/1187_60525_zpsc9qhhfvw.jpg

Along the AT in NC.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/1226_4192-640_zpsg3rmtwh3.jpg

You see, I do actually have quite a bit of experience with hammocking. And I'm open to other insight because that's how we learn. Unlike you, though, I'm not a xxx. I prefer to use my knowledge to encourage and educate people rather than insulting them when they have a different point of view. I'm making an exception for you.

Here I am explaining the benefits of a bridge hammock (a Warbonnet RidgeRunner in this case) during one of several seminars I've given. I realize that we all have different needs, sleeping styles, body sizes/shapes, etc. So what works for me may not work for a xxx like you. That's why I have a dozen hammocks that allow me to explain how/why you might choose one hammock over another.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/gear/hammocks/ridgerunner_zpse63af2ee.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/gear/hammocks/audience-640_zpsmga1vpfl.jpg

A small sample of my seminar kit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/gear/hammocks/gear-spread-640_zpsfzyrrwy5.jpg

I've learned a lot during my years' of backpacking with a hammock. I've made a lot of tweaks and adjustments and try to help others make the transition from the ground as seamless and painless as possible.

Since you seemed to take offense that I dared speak against your beloved Hennessy, yes, I have one of those too. The only difference is that I've learned that there are better, lighter, and more flexible alternatives.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/gear/hammocks/1190_40844_zps2aa30828.jpg

ETA: HomeSlice, you're a little shorter and lighter than me. You might look into something like a BIAS Weight Weenie (buttinasling.com). I went with the single-layer option and it's under 7 oz. You can always do a double and still keep the weight very manageable. Lots of options for width as well. I also find that the longer hammocks work better for me now. When I started hanging they were all in the 9' range. Now I go for the 11-footers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously? You know how I know you're a xxx?

I've probably forgotten more about hammocks than you've even known. But you're right, I don't know anything about backpacking with a hammock.

This would be my Tree to Trail Gear Light Hiker.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/gear/hammocks/P1020352-640_zpsx950d0xn.jpg

My Wilderness Logics Lite Owl being setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/gear/hammocks/LO-OP-640_zpsd7244145.jpg

Here I am in the Ocala Natl Forest.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/1187_60525_zpsc9qhhfvw.jpg

Along the AT in NC.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/1226_4192-640_zpsg3rmtwh3.jpg

You see, I do actually have quite a bit of experience with hammocking. And I'm open to other insight because that's how we learn. Unlike you, though, I'm not a xxx. I prefer to use my knowledge to encourage and educate people rather than insulting them when they have a different point of view. I'm making an exception for you.

Here I am explaining the benefits of a bridge hammock (a Warbonnet RidgeRunner in this case) during one of several seminars I've given. I realize that we all have different needs, sleeping styles, body sizes/shapes, etc. So what works for me may not work for a xxx like you. That's why I have a dozen hammocks that allow me to explain how/why you might choose one hammock over another.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/gear/hammocks/ridgerunner_zpse63af2ee.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/gear/hammocks/audience-640_zpsmga1vpfl.jpg

A small sample of my seminar kit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/gear/hammocks/gear-spread-640_zpsfzyrrwy5.jpg

I've learned a lot during my years' of backpacking with a hammock. I've made a lot of tweaks and adjustments and try to help others make the transition from the ground as seamless and painless as possible.

Since you seemed to take offense that I dared speak against your beloved Hennessy, yes, I have one of those too. The only difference is that I've learned that there are better, lighter, and more flexible alternatives.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/gear/hammocks/1190_40844_zps2aa30828.jpg

ETA: HomeSlice, you're a little shorter and lighter than me. You might look into something like a BIAS Weight Weenie (buttinasling.com). I went with the single-layer option and it's under 7 oz. You can always do a double and still keep the weight very manageable. Lots of options for width as well. I also find that the longer hammocks work better for me now. When I started hanging they were all in the 9' range. Now I go for the 11-footers.

I just feel the need to quote this because I've become a pretty hardcore hammock camper. I broke out both my WB BB and WB RR today just to dirt dive each setup and make sure each pack is dialed in now that there finally two complete kits.

I spend a lot of nights between the trees, and although I've never met him, Jax and I both frequent hammockforums. The man knows of what he speaks, and when he posts most of us are smart enough to listen. You'd be wise to do the same.

-----

To anyone here who is considering taking the plunge. For me, Hammock camping is superior in literally every single way compared to conventional camping. Lighter, simpler, incredibly more comfortable, like truly comfortable not camping comfortable... I cant imagine ever going back.

The catch is that there is a bit of a learning curve, sometimes it can be somewhat substantial. small adjustments in your setup can have a major efffect on whether your totally comfortable and completely relaxed, or constantly feeling cramped or tossing and turning. I found the same to be just as true with your particular gear selection. a handful of 80 cent pieces of plastic cordlok or moving from a toggle based webbing to a dutch clip or a whoopie sling also makes a huge difference.

But once you spend a little times on the forums seeing pics of what others use and what you think you might prefer you will fairly quickly get yourself dialed in and then its like heaven. especially when your with a bunch of buddies in a downpour orw when your cold wet tired and its dark and your able to  go from pack to swinging in about a minute twenty while managing to keep everything up off the wet ground, inclduding all your gear not to mention your sleep setup and all your bedding. cant be beat

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top