Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2015 10:11:32 PM EDT
I'm looking for a little input.  My brother has an older 1997 Coleman pop-up that I could get off of him for near nothing.  The issue is that mice have attacked it over the years.  We opened it up a couple years ago and can say, it smelled BAD.  It needs a few patches in the screen, I would assume all new foam/ mattresses, and fabrics.  I have no idea what condition the cabinets/press board is.  

Even to move it to a place where I could work on it, I would need to go over chassis with a grease gun and two new tires.

What is everyone's opinion?  Is this worth a restoration project?  Best case scenario is I would be able to make it a usable camper again.  What is the worst case?  Dump it?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#1]
What's the price of one ready to use? How much will it cost to repair? What is your budget?

Figure the answers then you'll know if it's worth it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:07:41 AM EDT
[#2]
You can usually get all of the canvas replaced for $1200.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can usually get all of the canvas replaced for $1200.
View Quote

Would that include the screening?

I did some searching on the internet. I found the couch folder for about $250.  I am sure the table benches could be had for a similar range.  I am thinking that if the structure and hard surfaces are cleanable, I will move forward.  I figure at the worst case, I could retro-fit some bunks in it and turn it into a deer camp trailer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:59:00 AM EDT
[#4]
That included the entire canvas to include screens.   I was pricing them out on the net for my 2008 due to some high wind tears.  I ended up going to a local canvas shop that repaired professionally. If you have a sewing machine, you could recover the existing cushions easily (cheaply) as well instead of trying to find new.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are interested in replacing the canvas, Bear Creek is where you should look. The last time I checked it would be around 8-900 to replace it all. I have an 80's model Coleman that we have been camping with for two years now. Its still with the original canvas, just with the holes patched up. I have a window AC unit that I place in a frame on the side, and a dorm fridge, because the previous owner gutted the galley. We used Woolite to scrub all of the fabric and canvas when we first brought it home. Then I did an axle flip so it would tow level. Next will either be a complete tear-down and rebuild or I will be trading for something larger.

From what I understand, there were some roof issues with the Colemans, especially if they had a roof-mounted AC unit. It would bow/sag and then begin to leak. There were kits to reinforce the roof, and I have seen others address the issue while doing a restoration. Is it worth rebuilding? Depends. Is it the right size for your purposes? How much will you have to spend to get it? Will the price of a rebuild exceed the price of a new(ish) camper? I know personally I think we will be trading up to something larger before sinking money into rebuilding our pop-up since space is getting scarce with a growing family.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the price of one ready to use? How much will it cost to repair? What is your budget?

Figure the answers then you'll know if it's worth it.
View Quote

This.  Cost of repair vs buying a different comparable.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#7]
The more crap that is in it, like stoves, sinks, toilets, etc., the less likely it is worth trying to fix IMO, unless you just gut that stuff out and make it into a basic unit, like a tent on wheels. A lot of the extra stuff is expensive and difficult to replace.

The canvas can be repaired or replaced by a local canvas shop (if you can find one). The mattresses are not hard to replace with foam rubber and some fitted sheets that might have to be tailored to size some. IIRC, some tent trailers use standard size mattresses, so you might be able to just get replacements at the mattress store.

There is a reason old tent trailers can be had for cheap.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#8]
had a guy i know just get his recanvassed, found a local amish shop that did it for like 600 bucks they even helped him find a good stove to fit in it
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's my 2 cents.

When it comes to pop-ups they are just not built to last like a truck or a car. Is this camper like family heirloom or treasure? Even free you have to look at the condition of the rubber/fiberglass roof,electrics,plumbing etc. The tires and bearings are the least of your worries. Just those items I think is about $200 right there alone.

My advice is look around your local RV lots. Pop-ups are a dime a dozen. Also don't forget there is a Manufacturer's RV show coming up in Hershey,Pa. This is the place to get a deal. Manufacturers are pushing deals for the sake of sales not profit like a Dealer Show.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top