Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2015 1:40:26 AM EDT
So I know this has been talked about A LOT but I'll be going on a long hike here in 2 weeks. I'm doing the Colorado trail, 485 miles from Denver to Durango and I'm contimplating taking a gun or not. I have a colt 1991 and a sig 226. I was planning on not taking anything and just using common sense to avoid interactions with critters but wouldn't be opposed to taking a gun.  Weight is a huge issue on a trip like this so that's why I was thinking sans gun, as many people do this without any firearms. Wanted to just hear some opinions on the matter. I have also looked into getting a larger gun, possible a 10mm glock but don't really want to buy another gun ( is that blasphemy? ). I don't even think I will see anything nasty, we have bears, not worried about them, and some mountain lions, if I get attacked by one of those it's probable I wouldn't even see it. Any personal experiences would be great. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 3:15:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with whichever is lighter.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#2]
The sig is a bit lighter and cheap insurance.   A can of pepper spray is even lighter.   The black bears can be
an issue as in tearing up shit looking for food.  keep the food safe and you will stay safe.

I nearly always carry though, just my policy.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the 226 in s Kit Bag from Hill People Gear or a Kenai Chest rig from Gunfighters, Inc.  and a can of bear spray.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Ost.

Been meaning to hit that trail for years.

In for ideas.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]
9 X .45 = 10mm
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you even 40 cal bro?  
Short and weak for the win!
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#7]
10mm.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10mm.
View Quote

G20 is my go to sidearm when hunting.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

You have a greater chance of needing it for a 2 legged vermin than a 4 legged.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys, prolly gonna go with the sig if anything. More proficient with that anyway. I'll try to post a report of the trip when I'm done in early September. Now all I need is for Colorado weather not to take a giant shit on me when I'm in the middle of the San juans or something
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#11]

I worked along sections of the Continental Divide trail and a couple other long distance routes (JMT, PC and AT also) and deal with thru hikers all the time.  

Not to be a naysayer or anything - I mean carry what you want - but I'm pretty sure both the Sig and the 1911 will end up in your pack in a couple days.  Nothing wrong with that, at least you're armed part of the time.  You see a road or civilization coming up, take it out and wear it appropriately.  Get to camp, take it out and wear it appropriately.

Just about every carry method + backpacking pack sucks with either a full size or compact pistol.  For work I carry a modified drop leg for a Sig 228 w a SF light and can comfortably go 10-15 miles w a big pack.  Ironically, it's the first couple miles that seems to suck where it feels like your right leg is dragging.  On my own time I carry a SW Shield in a CB Vanguard tied into into a 762 pouch on my hip belt.  When I get to camp it goes in a cargo pocket.  

I might try out the smallest HPG kitbag but I can't really see wearing it for much more than an overnight or two.

Good luck w the trip!

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought a Glock 20 10mm just for hiking out west and  I keep it loaded with Underwood 200gr XTP. If I hadn't purchased the G20 I would be carrying a G17, so I'd say go with the Sig.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Are we really talking "backpacking"?...or just walking into the woods a mile or two and camping, or while hunting, day hiking, plinking, etc?Theres a big BIG difference. After one has backpacked a few trips in the mtns, especially with any kind of mileage each day(10+ miles) and/or out for extended period of time while still hiking...that big bad-arse impressive sounding .44, .357, 10mm, 40..whatever, will eventually get a lot smaller and lighter. ..and maybe eve stop carrying it all together(depending on where your at). I have over a dozen .45s and 9mm's..but never ever carry them while backpacking solo while deep in the mtns. Thats reserved for the tiny 12oz .380. I CAN see if one is in Griz country a lot, but otherwise...?

Before anyone goes there, at 57 I'm already in great shape, have no weight to lose, etc. But I'm not dumb either. My typical week-long pack before water would typically weigh 13-14lbs(with food and fuel). Why would I carry a huge 2lb gun too? One that I'll have much less chance of ever needing then when in urban area. I call it the "what if" syndrome. I've seen hikers "what if" themselves right into a 40-50lb pack, for a weekend. With todays awesome higher end gear(light, strong, cheap...pick 2), thats crazy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#14]
OP,

First, I'm envious. Wish I had the legs and the time to do that trail.  Used to live in CO and still miss that country sometimes. You are in store.

Backpacking is trade offs.  "Ounces make pounds, pounds make pain" as they say. Here in the southeast we have black bear.  Those, bad two-leggers and emergency signaling would be the only reasons I would (and do) carry a firearm on my trips. Sure, I'd like to tote a 12gage, but that would be too much for me to carry and I can't afford an old fashioned safari porter to carry for me. :)  BTW, I wonder what one of those would cost to rent? Preferably, an attractive female porter...(Sorry, got off on a tangent.)

My compromise for when I do carry on the trail is what I carry everyday....a Glock 27, in .40SW. Only thing is I rebarrel it to .357SIG and load Underwood's with the Lehigh Defense XP bullets. Those run great in this 27, get near 1400 fps/500 ft lbs energy. That is a good bit of juice for such a tiny package. I've also seen a few videos where the shear noise of a firearm discharge has turned a bear away.  .357 Sig in this pistol covers that nicely and often spews a visible fire ball in low light.  Standard mag is also Colorado-commie approved and in my case, fits in a zippered side pouch on the exterior of my hip belt on my backpack. The other granola munchers I encounter on the trail are not alarmed because they can't see I'm armed, so this works for me.

BTW, the pouch on my pack hip belt is fairly safe for this firearm, but I also have a Vanguard style trigger condom on the trigger well for added safety. It's lanyard hangs out of the zippered pouch and clips to my belt.  Unzip and tug the condom off and it is ready to go with one hand.  At camp I detach the rig from the backpack and reattach it to my Inova flashlight holster.  That way light and gun are together at night.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought a Glock 10mm for hiking after I had a Mt Lion scare a few years ago in northern Co. when taking a bunch of kids on a short hike. I was carrying a 4" .41 magnum at the time and decided to get more serious after the incident. Love the compact firepower you get with a Glock 20 vs my old revolver.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are we really talking "backpacking"?...or just walking into the woods a mile or two and camping, or while hunting, day hiking, plinking, etc?Theres a big BIG difference. After one has backpacked a few trips in the mtns, especially with any kind of mileage each day(10+ miles) and/or out for extended period of time while still hiking...that big bad-arse impressive sounding .44, .357, 10mm, 40..whatever, will eventually get a lot smaller and lighter. ..and maybe eve stop carrying it all together(depending on where your at). I have over a dozen .45s and 9mm's..but never ever carry them while backpacking solo while deep in the mtns. Thats reserved for the tiny 12oz .380. I CAN see if one is in Griz country a lot, but otherwise...?

Before anyone goes there, at 57 I'm already in great shape, have no weight to lose, etc. But I'm not dumb either. My typical week-long pack before water would typically weigh 13-14lbs(with food and fuel). Why would I carry a huge 2lb gun too? One that I'll have much less chance of ever needing then when in urban area. I call it the "what if" syndrome. I've seen hikers "what if" themselves right into a 40-50lb pack, for a weekend. With todays awesome higher end gear(light, strong, cheap...pick 2), thats crazy.
View Quote

Re-read the OP.. 485 miles says it all.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:50:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. haha, guess I missed that. Carry on.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Glock G20 SF or Gen4. It's light. A magazine and one reload gives you 30 rnds of man/bear/lion stopping goodness. Is be more concerned with illegal pot growers than critters, but it's a great option. G29 if space is a covert, but it should be on your hip anyways.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:03:45 AM EDT
[#19]
A good holster for use with a pack..

http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#20]
If I were doing that hike I would pocket carry something ~15oz. or less, or carry no gun at all.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If I were doing that hike I would pocket carry something ~15oz. or less, or carry no gun at all.
View Quote

This. Strapping 3 pounds of gun and ammo to yourself would be terrible.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been carrying a Springfield XDS 45 when hiking.  Compromise between firepower vs weight.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Again thanks guys, lots of good opinions and ideas. I think my decision might come when I fill up on water and my first load of fuel and see what the pack weighs. Damn, weight adds up FAST! I thought I was being pretty minimal and I already got a heavy pack
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Wattles,

Two things in my pack that have saved me water weight are a Sawyer Squeeze filter and a Garmin Etrex 20 with topo maps onboard. The Sawyer system is outstanding. Lighter, better filtration than my old pumps, easier to use and only cost about $35.  I've not used my Hiker pump in three years.  The GPS is light and with some preplanning you can see where possible water sources are on the trail using topo stream info so you don't have to muscle so much water.  Also got free trail files for most established trails in the US on the thing from GPSfiledepot.com. Some of those trails have water source waypoints embedded with the trail file.  You'd have to check to verify that beforehand.

But, carry a little extra and a map (or trail guide) and compass, just in case.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Flysc,
Yeah I need to look at different water pump ideas. I have a Katadyn pocket which is fantastic but weighs a lot. A trip to rei may be in my future
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:09:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Flysc,
Yeah I need to look at different water pump ideas. I have a Katadyn pocket which is fantastic but weighs a lot. A trip to rei may be in my future
View Quote

Forget REI if you want to try one of the Sawyers filters. Walmart usually has the Sawyer Mini for less than $20.  The Sawyer Squeeze, my favorite, is under $40 at Academy Sports. Guaranteed for like a millions gallons.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:33:07 AM EDT
[#27]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3VmSVJh24I
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

That.  It is statistically unlikely that you will need a pistol, anyhow.  Not that comforting, but usually true.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:32:20 AM EDT
[#29]
S&W Airweight .38.  Pocket carry.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:44:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Glock 20SF if you can afford to buy a new pistol.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Anymore when I go hiking or backpacking it's either a S&W 642 or a S&W 360PD; weight is everything as I've gotten older.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Some serious bad ideas here.  

OP, I take it you're used to long hikes under a pack, so you probably know that a holster with straps that go under your backpack straps will be pure torture after a few miles.  Don't even consider the leather chest holster on the previous page.  A standard belt holster would require you to wear a leather gun belt under your backpack's belt- likewise a bad bad idea.  A properly fitted pack will ride a little higher than you wear your pants belt, so in addition to the hot-spots you'll get pinching to boot.  

I am more apt to take my G20 on a day-hike than a long backpacking journey because of the weight.  If you want to take one of the ones you have, as mentioned go with the lighter.  If I do take my 10mm I carry it downloaded to ten rounds for the weight, and cannot begin to understand the mentality that would suggest you carry two magazines for 30 rounds.  Where the freak are you hiking dude, Afghanistan?!

Here's how I carry my G20SF for day-hikes:

Don't sweat the other hikers, they aren't going to care, and if they do they'll just avoid you- which is why you went backpacking in the first place.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Some serious bad ideas here.  

OP, I take it you're used to long hikes under a pack, so you probably know that a holster with straps that go under your backpack straps will be pure torture after a few miles.  Don't even consider the leather chest holster on the previous page.  A standard belt holster would require you to wear a leather gun belt under your backpack's belt- likewise a bad bad idea.  A properly fitted pack will ride a little higher than you wear your pants belt, so in addition to the hot-spots you'll get pinching to boot.  

I am more apt to take my G20 on a day-hike than a long backpacking journey because of the weight.  If you want to take one of the ones you have, as mentioned go with the lighter.  If I do take my 10mm I carry it downloaded to ten rounds for the weight, and cannot begin to understand the mentality that would suggest you carry two magazines for 30 rounds.  Where the freak are you hiking dude, Afghanistan?!

Here's how I carry my G20SF for day-hikes:
https://d1u1p2xjjiahg3.cloudfront.net/fdbcde25-820c-4b3c-bf41-f8211883e7c1.jpg

Don't sweat the other hikers, they aren't going to care, and if they do they'll just avoid you- which is why you went backpacking in the first place.  
View Quote

Well played sir.  I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Is that an M9 holster?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Probably the best way to carry with a pack I've seen. Is that attached to the hip belt of the pack?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Probably the best way to carry with a pack I've seen. Is that attached to the hip belt of the pack?
View Quote
It's the Bianchi M12 holster (for the M9 pistol).  It's pretty much ruined for any other gun now, as it has stretched to accommodate the G20SF.  

It can attach to the backpack hip belt because of the quik-lock or whatever Bianchi calls that thing.  In that picture it is actually attached to a tool holder that's a feature of the pack- it's meant for an ice axe I think.  

I took a serious tumble with a heavy pack while hiking solo off the trail one year, end-over-end about 50' down into a draw and ended up in a sitting position in the snow.  The G20 was secure and undamaged afterwards, although there were some fir tree needles jammed between the slide and frame.  

The M12 holster can be found pretty cheap- they're $40 here and supposed to be 25% off today only, so $30.  I'd be surprised if you could find anything better for double the money.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:20:54 AM EDT
[#36]
226 + 2 mags - weight factor.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#37]
I have never been on the Colorado Trail but I did just study the map.....

You left out a critical piece of information in your original post.
How many miles are you planning on hiking a day?
If you are planning on:
1 month => 16 miles a day -> every day (no lay over days)
6 weeks => 11 miles a day -> every day
This type of mileage will wear you down. Keep your pack as light as possible and enjoy the hike....

Have you read about any incidents on that trail that warrants a gun?

I have done Tahoe to Whitney (400 miles), a separate pull of the JMT (200 miles) and many many 5-7-10 long trips. I'm a very strong proponent of the 2A but I have never carried a gun past the trail head and never had an experience that made me wish I had....

My Suggestion:
Leave your gun at home. It looks like 98% of the trip you will be in a wilderness setting and you will only cross a few roads where the 2 legged threat exists. Shooting at a bear or cat with a pistol is not something I would try! Bear pepper spray is another way to go (people and animals) and it's lighter.

You will be hating the weight of the gun before you get to the end.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#38]
dupe

1texan
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I fish and camp around there a  lot. my c.p.a. is in Dillon.  don't worry about bears get 2 cans of spray. never heard about a bear or even seen scat.

s & w 9mm compact
shoulder holster  concealed is concealed.
2 mags  with 6 rd extensions _46 rds
12 rds in gun
nitte site
apex trigger
\good knife

this will solve all ur problems. regardless Of SIZE OR  # OF FEET.

1 TEXAN
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#40]
A loaded G20 and spare mag weighs like 3lbs. That's less than a half gallon of water. Not a big deal for the peace of mind.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A loaded G20 and spare mag weighs like 3lbs. That's less than a half gallon of water. Not a big deal for the peace of mind.
View Quote

Or approx 25% of ones total gear weight carried if your carrying my pack. For something statistically your never ever ever ever need. ..unlike the water. Or for that matter, anything else one is carrying. That's a heavy arse piece of mind. I love my guns just like the next guy here, but as said above...after packing that big bulky anchor of a gun and spare ammo(for that running gun battle), you'll learn to absolutely hate it.

Fwiw, I just backpacked 3 days to celebrate my berf-day this past weekend here in the mtns of western NC in an area that's got current bear alerts/notices. Zero issues(didn't carry anything but my good looks), just like the other 7000+ miles I've backpacked all over the country. Again, its the trailhead being where the chit happens.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#42]
I appreciate all the responses but after getting my kit together and seeing how heavy it is, gonna go with no gun on the trip. I have pretty good gear but I am no way an ultralight hiker. I don't think many people have issues unless they are not smart with storing their food at night. Im hoping I can do around 15 miles a day, hopefully around 20 towards the end of the trip
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Good luck on your hike.  Make sure to post pics here on your return.  Also let us know what worked and what dis not work on the trail.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#44]
9mm Is just fine I have hikes thousands of miles and never needed mine the lighter the better.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I appreciate all the responses but after getting my kit together and seeing how heavy it is, gonna go with no gun on the trip. I have pretty good gear but I am no way an ultralight hiker. I don't think many people have issues unless they are not smart with storing their food at night. Im hoping I can do around 15 miles a day, hopefully around 20 towards the end of the trip
View Quote

It's always a tough decision if you're serious about the distance you're hiking.  As much as I have packed a smaller 9mm (Kahr CM9, Shield or S&W Airweight), I'm considering downsizing to a Ruger LCP .380.  The pistol is really not a necessity but for some, it gives that little extra mental comfort.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Go with the Sig and a big can of bear spray.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The part in bold plus cooking/cleanup discipline.  One thing we started doing on our trips in bear country is stopping about 1/2 an hour before we plan to camp, cook/eat dinner, clean up and then walk another mile or two and set up camp.  

Quoted:
Glock G20 SF or Gen4. It's light. A magazine and one reload gives you 30 rnds of man/bear/lion stopping goodness. Is be more concerned with illegal pot growers than critters, but it's a great option. G29 if space is a covert, but it should be on your hip anyways.

Growing pot is not illegal in CO.  You can buy it on main street of a lot of cities.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top