Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 10:12:53 AM EDT
I currently have some wigwam hikers that I like but need another pair or two. anything out there just as good or better?
moisture wicking and breathable are musts. nothing real thick.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#1]
This is what I rock here in AZ and in the Sierras.

http://www.rei.com/product/626974/smartwool-light-hiker-socks

If you want full synthetic I suggest the Thorlo light hikers.

http://www.amazon.com/Thorlo-Mens-Coolmax-Hiker-Crew/dp/B000AFBVGW
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#2]
darn tough cool max linky thingy
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
ETA already posted,

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Darn Tough socks.   Money well spent.  Merino wool FTW.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Darn tough.  I wear these all year round.

lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:34:06 AM EDT
[#6]
For hot and humid temperatures, I really don't like even mid-weight socks.  Smartwool has some great light-weight versions and even REI has some decent Ultralight socks.  In fact, I have been wearing these REI socks almost exclusively for work (Army) with Belleville Mini-Mil (minimalist) boots; I wear the same socks all week (office environment).  The same philosophy goes for my backpacking and the thinner socks dry faster.  I need to caveat that my hiking, walking and running is more "barefoot" style so less cushion is needed as the impacts are mitigated through form.

I was leery with REI's ultralight socks, but they have been holding up well.  If you go ultralight, money is well spent on high-end merino wool companies like Smartwool, Icebreaker, Darn Tough and Woolpower.  Darn Tough are probably the most robust sock construction I've seen and for colder weather, they are my serious cold-weather socks.

Another sock I've recently been using and liking the performance is from PROSOK.  These are slightly thicker (listed as "heavy weight") bamboo cycling socks.  They do have more cushion, but more like a mid or even lighter-weight wool sock.  These are very comfortable and even if your feet sweat a lot (like mine), they actually do feel cooler.  What I've liked about wool and these bamboo socks is the little to no funky-foot-smell.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.  The 1 pair of Coolmax I tried were terribly hot compared to wool.

I wear these in the summer:  http://darntough.com/men/mens-hike-trek/hiker-1-4-sock-cushion#152=792
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been meaning to try out some Darn Tough's as well.  I have been using whatever smartwool style I could find on sale at REI for years, and they haven't really let me down in any way or anything (despite heavy, not-terribly-breathable boots combined with extreme heat... Camelback mountain on July 4th @ 100+ temps sucked ass...)

The Darn Toughs have a REALLY strong following among the through-hiker and backpacker crowds.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Wright double layer cushioned adventure or escape

http://wrightsock.myshopify.com/collections/double-layer/products/adventure
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

lifetime warranty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lifetime warranty.

Same here, I wear boots all day, every day, and Darn Tough are my favorite socks. At work I wear waterproof 400g Thinsulate Carolinas without Gore-Tex 365 days a year, my daily wear & 3.5 season (10-15F & up) outdoors activity boots are Asolo Fugitive GTX & Vasque St. Elias GTX, and for cold weather I have a pair of Sorel Conquests. I generally wear a pair of heavyweight Darn Tough (the black & grey ones) 2 or 3 days before changing them, turning them inside out at night, and have no problem with the socks smelling or feeling funky. They also fit better than my Smartwool, which have a slightly baggy feel. And the weave is a very dense, tight weave that slides right into lined or unlined boots with no catching. My experience with premium wool socks is limited to Wigwam, Smartwool, EMS, and Darn Tough, and Darn Tough are easily the best IMO. They're as comfortable after 2 years as they were the day I bought them, and there's no pilling or loss of elasticity in any of my 8-10 pairs.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#12]
injinti toe sock liner, darn tough or smart wool light hiker outer...no blisters...make sure your shoes are one size larger
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Injinji for the win!   Took me a little while to get used to not having my toes touch,  but after you realize how much better your feet feel....you'll forget about your toes not touching.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top