Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2015 12:18:56 AM EDT
Does anyone have any photos or plans on how to make a campfire water heater?  I have seen a couple on youtube with a 5 gal bucket and copper tubing.  I was looking for something my wife had seen many years ago with a galvanized trash can and the copper tubing.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for info
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't put fire to galvanizing! The fumes are highly toxic!
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#3]
They make hanging solar showers that hold water in a black rubberized bag, they get pretty darn hot!

If you want a gravity feed you will need to have your source placed up high, like on top of your truck, or hang from a sturdy limb. Maybe a contractor garbage can would work well here. Run a hose off of your source, down towards the fire.

Attach the hose to a copper "worm", like from a moonshine still, and put that in your coals.

You'll want a vent downstream from the worm to let out any steam pressure, you don't want to super-heat anything. Plus the water could reach boiling so be careful!

If you took a basic hot/cold water mixer, from a DIY shower plumbing kit,You could run a "cool/room temperature" hose from your source-bucket, and a hot-water line from th4 worm, so you could mix the temps. You could set that up on a piece of plank, with a shower head attached, and strap it to a convenient tree.

Just be sure that your source is at least a few feet taller than the shower head and gravity will do the rest.

Bam I just made that shit up, you could buy everything you will need at home depot for a hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't put fire to galvanizing! The fumes are highly toxic!
View Quote

This!

John
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#5]
This is a recurring question in camping forums.  My recurring answer, so far, is that there's no need to reinvent the wheel, or the camp shower, both have already been done ---
The simplest, easiest, most foolproof  is the Zodi Extreme Shower hand-pump-pressurized canister with its hose and combination on/off  valve/shower spray head. Heat some water either directly in the canister on a camp stove burner, or simply add some  boiling-hot water (boiled in whatever container you've got, from whatever heat source you've  got) to some cool water already in the canister,  adjusting the proportions of hot and cold to taste to achieve the "Goldilocks" temperature... You don't need any of the other expensive, fancy, Zodi apparatus. I have a simple solar shower sack, which  works great in ideal conditions, such as when I used  it last Sunday afternoon, on a hot, bright, day.  But when you need to add heat from combustion, the Zodi pump-spray shower is unrivaled in simplicity, efficacy, and reliability. Occam was right --- the simplest solution is always the best bet!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#6]
google simple shower
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Paint an unused garden type "pesticide" sprayer flat black.  Leave in sun.  Pump it up to use it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top