Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2015 9:28:07 PM EDT
I am looking for a budget lightweight one man tent for backpacking. I would like it to be high value not cheap. I am open to suggestions for used tents and new. I would like it to be:
Under 100 dollars
4 pounds or under
Preferably some kind of vestibule

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:42:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I've heard different reviews on the ALPS tents, but I picked one of these up for my son

ALPS Mountaineering Mystique

Materials and construction are okay and it's just over 3 pounds and right at $100.00.  No issues with it; he's used the tent a half-dozen times.  It says a three-season tent, but I think that really depends on your location; this tent wouldn't take a lot of snow-load and I wouldn't want it on an exposed ridge with high winds.  For general backpacking in moderate weather it has proven fine.  I don't care for the bright yellow rain fly, but at $100.00, it's tolerable.  The rain fly does create two vestibules which is nice.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Eureka Tents are better than their price.

I have no experience with this model but it fits what you are asking for.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I know you said under $100 but mine are all just over, sorry. I didn;t search for any coupons so you may be able to save even more.

If you keep an eye on Sierra Trading Post deals and catch one of their 40% off sales, you may be able to get a 3.5lb BA Jack Rabbit 1P for $120'ish.

Kelty Salida 1 $120 SunnySports

ALPS Mystique 1.0 $110 REI Outlet, not a big Alps fan but they're decent

Marmot Tungsten 1P $143 Back Country Edge, yeah even more expensive but I find Marmot stuff is very high quality w/o the high price tag IF you search for deals.

ETA: ALPS Zephyr 1P, 3.8lbs $88 Steep&Cheap
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an older model Eureka similar to the one posted above.  7 years and its never let me down.  just my .02  but I gotta say, for a lil extra coin, that marmot looks like a great deal too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. They all look good I think I'll just see which one I can find cheapest. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, I mentioned ALPS, but if you can find some outlets with Eureka tents close to your price, those are always excellent value tents.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought an Alps Mountaineering Lynx 1 for $105.
Not a bad tent but it's too cramped for me so I upgraded to a Kelty Salida 2 that I bought at Sierra Outpost for $101 a couple of months ago.
The Alps does have a pretty large vestibule to store your gear in thankfully.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Eureka Spitfire 1 comes on sale pretty often for about $75.  I got one from Dick's a couple weeks ago (hey, I know, but they had what I wanted at almost 50% off) .  Weighs a hair over 3# with all the bags, lines, stakes, etc.  Vestibule isn't very impressive, but it's light and packs small.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 4:14:25 AM EDT
[#9]
We needed a spare one man tent last year or a tagalong.  Found an 8' long bivy style one made by Magellan.  It is called the Scout and I think it was like $26 at Academy Sports and weighs just under 3 lbs. No separate rain fly with it, but if you seam sealed it would last a good while until you found something better. You can make your own seam sealant cheap. Just search Youtube.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#10]
If you really want 3 season light weight, consider a bivy bag instead. Can be as light as 18 ounces. I backpacked solo with one for years 3 season.

It gets a bit old in heavy rain for a long time though. Builds character.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you really want 3 season light weight, consider a bivy bag instead. Can be as light as 18 ounces. I backpacked solo with one for years 3 season.

View Quote

Good advice...

People spend a lot of money to shed 2 pounds (1 pound bivy versus your 3 lb. target) and with the Bivy you aren't spending good money to do it.  You will get a higher quality piece of gear for the amount you're willing to spend.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#12]
If you're gonna carry a real tent, carry a two man tent.

Generally a given model of 1 person and 2 person only differ by 6-9 ounces or less, and the useful volume of the 2 person variant is much nicer when its time to change your clothes.

Plus if you have a buddy or a lady-friend that wants to go camping you are already setup to share.

IMHO a hammock and tarp is the best single-user shelter option.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a Eureka SunRiver 2. I think I paid $99 for it at Dick's. Listed as a two person tent, but it really only holds one full grown man.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Well after all considerations I ended up using a hammock and tarp. However I could not get comfortable at all because the ropes that came with the hammock stretched too much and I ended up on the ground. I also ended up with mosquito bites covering my back. I'm not sure how I really like it yet so I may be transitioning back to a tent
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#15]
The single layer (of fabric) hammocks will allow mosquitos to bite through.

Double layer hammocks prevent the mosquito bites, they can't penetrate the seperate weaves.

I really like the warbonnet outdoors blackbird double layer 1.7mm hammock. It's intuitive to setup, has a shelf for your gear, a foam sleeping mat or air-pad can fit between the layers.

I do a lot of east coast hiking. Most of the time it's easier to find a pair of trees to hang from, compared to finding a good level tent pad.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:58:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have the larger version of that tent the Apex 2 XT and it is a huge piece of crap.  Not light storm worthy at all.  The bathtub floor on it makes a great wading pool though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Well after all considerations I ended up using a hammock and tarp. However I could not get comfortable at all because the ropes that came with the hammock stretched too much and I ended up on the ground. I also ended up with mosquito bites covering my back. I'm not sure how I really like it yet so I may be transitioning back to a tent
View Quote

Before trying the hammock again, spray it down with permethrin to repel the skeeters.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've heard different reviews on the ALPS tents, but I picked one of these up for my son

ALPS Mountaineering Mystique

Materials and construction are okay and it's just over 3 pounds and right at $100.00.  No issues with it; he's used the tent a half-dozen times.  It says a three-season tent, but I think that really depends on your location; this tent wouldn't take a lot of snow-load and I wouldn't want it on an exposed ridge with high winds.  For general backpacking in moderate weather it has proven fine.  I don't care for the bright yellow rain fly, but at $100.00, it's tolerable.  The rain fly does create two vestibules which is nice.

ROCK6
View Quote

I have a Mystique and it is a good little tent for the money.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do not give up on the hammock so soon.. Took me several sleepless nights before I got it right, but now my quality of sleep in the wild is actually better then my own bed.. Truth be told, if it were not for the misses I would have tossed my bed out years ago and gone full time hammock.. U need to invest in the proper gear, ( bug net, under quilt and a good tarp) before you really start to see the benefits of hammock camping.. It a learning experience, hell Ive been at it for 6 years now, and Im still learning, but one things for certain, I will not be laying on the ground in a tent ever again...
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#20]
This thread reminds me. I need to buy a tent.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Eureka Solitaire and love the hell out of it. Weighs a little over 2 pounds.

Campmor had these on sale a week or so ago for $79.99
Sadly no vestibule though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#22]
1 man tent?  

Dunno where you are, but if you get a 2 man, there will be room to cook inside, with a butane stove, in bad weather.

Keep the ventilation going.

Don't try this with gasoline or alcohol stoves.  Too much CO
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#23]
$125 Solo tent that weighs 34oz. :

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents.html?redirected=1

Not a major manufacturer, but plenty of people have hiked the entire AT with their tents (though I would pay more and get the Lunar Solo myself).  Note that you'll need to purchase tent poles if you don't have trekking poles.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Before trying the hammock again, spray it down with permethrin to repel the skeeters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or buy a bug net. It's great when the bugs get bad. Also, think about a new suspension system. I use a cinch buckle system that allows me to tighten or loosen the straps depending on how high I hang the hammock.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

I had this problem with strap sag. I got a set of ENO Atlas straps to solve that problem.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:37:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

In heavy rain some saplings and a poncho over top add that extra layer...
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Poncho adds 2 more pounds as well as more bulk tho. Also sucks in high winds. My SD Light Year 1 man(19' sqr foot space). Has custom carbon poles. Had this for 15yrs. These pics are from a solo 3 dayer on the AT this past March. Breaking in a new pup. I've cooked inside many times in the rain. About 2.2lbs, so theres lighter tents around nowadays.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Don't know how good it is, but http://www.camofire.com/ has the Easton Rimrock 1P tent for $89.99 today.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#29]
USMC field tarp, a couple sticks and some 550 cord. If you are too tired to build it, just rollout your sleeping bag in it and fold it over you like a taco.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Under a hundred bucks?

Easy,

A snugpack jungle hammock with bug screen and a LW bushcrafter tarp to use over it for rain protection.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#31]
The Eureka Solitaire served me well and is within that price range and other specs.  It's not as cramped inside as most imagine it to be either.  I easily fit in there (5'10" if wearing my high heels) with my backpack and all other gear with room to spare.  

The only reason I don't use it anymore (although I did loan it to a friend on a recent trip) is because I'm a gear whore and spent a fortune on various other higher-end tents.

Latest go-to:
http://www.rei.com/product/862421/rei-quarter-dome-1-tent

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Under a hundred bucks?

Easy,

A snugpack jungle hammock with bug screen and a LW bushcrafter tarp to use over it for rain protection.

View Quote

I actually did go with the snugpak and I found the ropes are cheesy and stretch and insane amount
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#33]
In fair weather at high altitude, the bivy sack is the way to go.

Horrible icy winds = tents and canister stoves.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In fair weather at high altitude, the bivy sack is the way to go.

Horrible icy winds = tents and canister stoves.
View Quote

Try hot, humid, 500 ft above sea level, and lots of rain haha
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Not ideal, but can be a multi-use set up, added to or deleted from: 3 US Army ponchos, 550 cord, aluminum stakes. This WILL keep snow and rain off of you- ask a grunt.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I got a 25 dollar woot hammock, swapped the ropes with poly lashing straps I got at HF for 4 bucks and have no sag issues. Treated with permethrin and added a ghetto homemade underquilt. Added a 20 rain fly  All it at around 65 bucks and it weighs right at 3.5 not counting under quilt
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a snugpak ionosphere and have been very happy with it...  It's more subdued that the bright orange, fluorescent greens, and the sky blue models seen here.  It's $160 and worth the extra coin in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Check out the offerings from "Tarptent" or better yet, "sixmoondesigns".

That is the way to go.                

OK, I see.   Less than $100?   Find a good tarp and settle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top