Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2015 10:40:13 PM EDT
I have been using the Hennessy Explorer hammock on my past couple of trips. I think I am doing something wrong with my set up or use of the hammock.
I am lying diagonally and get a nice straight position. The problem I had the past couple of times is that my legs hurt behind the knees like I am hyper extending them during the night. In addition, my neck seems a little stiff after using the hammock. I read recently that using a pillow under the knees takes some pressure off.

Any suggestions would be great. I have a four day trip coming up and I want a good nights rest
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same problem testing out my hammock the other day for the first time.  Knees feel hyper extended when laying on my back.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Tie hammocks as tight as possible. Lay at an angle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#3]
How tall are you? Maybe you need a longer hammock, with less severe curve than the Hennessy hammock.

You could replace HH's cord ridgeline with a longer structural ridgeline using Amsteel cord, or maybe upgrade into one of the Warbonnet outdoors XL sized hammock.

Are you aware of Hammockforum.net?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your reply about the hammock forum. I did stop by there to review the site but have not joined to post. I find the Explorer to be plenty big. Your suggestion on the ridge line is something I never considered being new to this. I'm going to explore this to see if it helps.
One thing I did find on the hammock forum was a bit of advice from the experienced hangers. They suggested using your hammock several times prior to a trip to find your "sweet spot". Some guys set them up indoors and use them often conditioning themselves I guess.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tie hammocks as tight as possible.
View Quote

I'd disagree with this.

I think there's value in changing out the ridgeline with an adjustable. The ridgeline will put the hammock back in the same "state" each time you hang. However, the length the stock ridgeline gives you may not be right for you. With the adjustable you can tweak it to find your sweet spot. I've found that in one hammock I may like it shorter while in another I may prefer longer. Sometimes I go with no ridgeline at all.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Figure 4 leg position helps. Also.....play with the angle and slack in your lines leading to the hammock.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#7]
The stock Hennessey hammock is not a "structural" ridgeline and if you over tighten it the ridgeline will pop when you sit in the hammock. Happened to me camping out on the appalachian trail. I cut some amsteel from my bear bag line and made a real structural RL and after a few nights tweaking for length, I actually could just pull it tight between two trees without any concerns.

I would do this to any Hennessey hammock regardless of model. I would also ditch their rope suspension in favor of whoopie slings or webbing strap & buckle Arrangements.

If you are reading this and are considering a Hennessey Hammock, the Warbonnet outdoors Blackbird double layer 1.2 or 1.7 (or their new XXL sized one) are superior in every way.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The stock Hennessey hammock is not a "structural" ridgeline
View Quote

How do you figure?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#9]
The ridgeline "rope" they include isn't actually load rated. It's a string really. It's meant to be tensioned loosely and it's main purposes are to set the length and therefore sag of the hammock, to hold up the bug netting, and allow the organizer to slide along the ridgeline.

A structural ridgeline is made of load-rated cordage like Amsteel 7/64" which is rated for 1600lb's and can be tensioned without worry and will fully support the weight of the hammock.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The ridgeline "rope" they include isn't actually load rated. It's a string really. It's meant to be tensioned loosely and it's main purposes are to set the length and therefore sag of the hammock, to hold up the bug netting, and allow the organizer to slide along the ridgeline.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wouldn't you say that's exactly the purpose of a structural ridgeline as opposed to a non-structural which  is there just for the rest of that (the bug net, organizer, etc)?

A structural ridgeline is made of load-rated cordage like Amsteel 7/64" which is rated for 1600lb's and can be tensioned without worry and will fully support the weight of the hammock.

I can see what you mean in the context of the load rating but I've had a Hennessy for years and the ridgeline is always like a guitar string and I've never had an issue with it. I did replace the stock suspension with whoopies, though. I wouldn't use Amsteel for a ridgeline. It's way too big. Lash-It or Zing-It have comparable strength in a much smaller diameter.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Figure 4 leg position helps. Also.....play with the angle and slack in your lines leading to the hammock.
View Quote

Yep, or, not even complete figure 4 but slight scissors, just twisting your leg enough radially to put a slight bend on your knee without pressure on your heels locking it out.

I generally sleep on my side in the hammock but when I am on my back it's like that.  I cannot rig my hammock to prevent locked knees if I were to just try and lay completely flat and stretched out.  It's just not long enough for the diagonal position to remain flat for the length of my body.  You can play around with rigging, and I don't know your hammock but if it doesn't have a real ridgeline that would be the first thing I would fix.

+3 for whoopies.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wouldn't you say that's exactly the purpose of a structural ridgeline as opposed to a non-structural which  is there just for the rest of that (the bug net, organizer, etc)?

I can see what you mean in the context of the load rating but I've had a Hennessy for years and the ridgeline is always like a guitar string and I've never had an issue with it. I did replace the stock suspension with whoopies, though. I wouldn't use Amsteel for a ridgeline. It's way too big. Lash-It or Zing-It have comparable strength in a much smaller diameter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't lash-it/zing-it Dyneema?  AKA Amsteel?  And 2.2mm Zing it is .086" while 7/64 Amsteel is .109".  I'll take the extra .023" and get a braided rope rather than a twine for anything to do with suspension myself, but I'm a fatass. (And I can have a whoopee adjustable ridge)
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#13]
The lash it or zing it actually have break strengths closer to 450 lbs, much lower than the Amsteel. You in your hammock can actually aproach the 500lbs of force along the ridgeline so there isn't much margin there. The amsteel has a much more generous 3:1/4:1 safety margin. The difference in material weight is probably under an ounce, anyway.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I use 2.2, not 1.75, and it's rated at 650 pounds. I figure it's good enough for many of the hammock manufacturers so it's good enough for me. You can also use Dynaglide which is also 2.2 but rated at 1000. I just didn't like it.

Obviously, ymmv.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I am a really big guy and I hammock camp.

To make sure the hammock doesn't sag all the way to the ground I always put it up as tightly as possible.  

I do not sleep diagonally, I sleep the long way and it works out well.

I use a two person parachute fabric hammock and it does the job.  

My first hang this year starts Thursday!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I think you just pointed out that you have to find what works for you. We're all different.

Have fun at the hang. We had 250 at the Florida hang this year.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I figure 4 my legs or roll up a shirt and put it behind my knees.
If its hot I'll make a fold in the edge of the hammock and put my calfs and heels in the fold.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#18]
We'll guys I took the suggestion of pillow under the knees. It worked great. Best three nights of sleep I've had in a long time. Tonight is my last night on the Suwannee river. I also used a very thin neoprene mat I had to keep my backside from getting cold. Mid 50's temps made great sleeping weather
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#19]
The Suwannee? Where abouts are you? I love the Suwannee.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I was in Live Oak for the Suwannee River Jam. I have several friends that live in the area. Great place to try out new gear in a controlled environment before you get too far out. Nice to get the kinks out of your gear before real wilderness camping.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Cool. I'm very fond of the Big Shoals area west of White Springs.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I car camp mostly so I take 2 pillows to lay in the bottom of hammock to eliminate the dip in the middle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top