Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2015 2:56:40 AM EDT
We have had many fish stolen off our dock, from a heavy duty fish basket. Only to find a little blood and some scales. I'm talking  15-20 nice crappie at a time when we forgot to close the lid. (leaving it open for ease of just dropping the fish in at the dock) Well our house next door, its dock has had a bunch of shit on it  with a large amount of fish scales in it. I'm talking a lot of shit. 20 piles every time we go down. Much time with the hose to clear it off.
Anyway, tonight we were fishing on the dock under the lights and we hear the fish basket being thrashed around and the fish inside going ape shit. Sneak over to the basket and just before we get to it, we hear this very large splash. Soon after, at our dock next door we see this large animal leap from the water, right on to the dock. Freaking otter. And what seems like a large one. It appeared to be around 30 lbs. (about twice the size of our 17 lb  cat)
Kinda cool. First otter we've ever seen in the wild. He slid around on his belly and would look at us, raising his head up and down.
I'm thinking he owes me. I think 30-40 nice crappie is worth a otter pelt.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#1]

We had otters, in my home State, vicious little bastards.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Otters in Kansas?
I live in NW Arkansas and fish a ton in Mo. Never once have I seen or heard about otters.
I have had egrets come to my bucket and steal bluegill while I was standing just feet away.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Otters in Kansas?
I live in NW Arkansas and fish a ton in Mo. Never once have I seen or heard about otters.
I have has egrets come to my bucket and steal bluegill while I was standing just feet away.
View Quote

Otters were introduced into Missouri waterways about 20+ years ago. Ever since there has been a bounty on those little shits. The lake is full of beaver and otters.

Edit- http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2007/06/missouri-river-otter-saga
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I miss the days of $100 otter pelts.  Good times.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Otters were introduced into Missouri waterways about 20+ years ago. Ever since there has been a bounty on those little shits. The lake is full of beaver and otters.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Otters in Kansas?
I have has egrets come to my bucket and steal bluegill while I was standing just feet away.

Thanks for the link. Very informative.
I was thinking about sitting one night with a. 22 and get rid of that SOB. But that sounds like a waiste of time. I knew Missouri had restocked them, but had know idea that they ( the otters) had done so well.
You know, we've been noticing lately that our fishing has diminished in our cove. I just wonder how many otters there are? I do know that we have to spray  the scale infested crap off our dock much more often. That and the Great Blue Haron. It's like they dump a cup of white paint each time. Anyway, again, thanks for the link.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]
That's cool info. Learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd be happy to toss the otter some crappies just to watch him hanging out eating his meal. Personally I think they are fun to watch.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:16:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was thinking about sitting one night with a. 22 and get rid of that SOB. But that sounds like a waiste of time. I knew Missouri had restocked them, but had know idea that they ( the otters) had done so well.
You know, we've been noticing lately that our fishing has diminished in our cove. I just wonder how many otters there are? I do know that we have to spray  the scale infested crap off our dock much more often. That and the Great Blue Haron. It's like they dump a cup of white paint each time. Anyway, again, thanks for the link.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Otters in Kansas?

We call those shit a quarts because of that right there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top