Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2015 11:49:13 PM EDT
The title has my three options. I have a bad back and can walk about 10 minutes before my leg gives out. A bunch of guys from church are having a Dads and Sons camping trip this weekend and I'm taking my son.
Question is, which system will be better for my back? This is a one night camping "trip" in a guys back yard.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:07:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Hammock.... Seriously look it up, lots of people with back pain use them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That wasn't one of the options for a reason.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:09:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Foam pad rolled up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:24:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:28:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You must have missed this about 1/4 page down:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_1/680305_Recommended_to_me_a_sleeping_pad_.html
View Quote

That only applies if was looking strictly for a sleeping pad.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:30:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably put a pad on a cot.  Or stack up several pads to eliminate hard spots.

You can try the air mattress, but I always felt it puts you into an awkward position.   Some folks prefer that though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Best 100.00 I ever spent was on the thickest slumberjack pad made.  You can just get your arms around it when rolled up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#8]
When car camping I have an inflatable pad that goes on a cot. Very comfortable and good support.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a bad back as well. Cots, even with a decent pad on them, are brutal and my last choice. I would rather sleep on the ground with a pad.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:14:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a Roll-A-Cot (tension-adjustable trampoline-style mesh platform) with a thick Thermarest Basecamp mat,or sometimes a Thermarest Z-Rest non-inflatable pad in warm weather, to sleep as comfortably as at home on an extra-firm innerspring. I also like my Nemo inflatable pillow --- the best compromise I've found for firmness, height, and compact size  ---referring only to pillows,of course.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#11]
1 night, in a backyard. Inflatable mattress.

Go to Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or whatever and buy an inflatable mattress. One of those 6-inch thick buggers.

There's
no sense spending hundreds of dollars (or a hundred) on some kind of
fancy sleep system that you'll use 1-night and still probably end up
with a sore back anyway.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Cot.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Go to Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or whatever and buy an inflatable mattress. One of those 6-inch thick buggers.
There's no sense spending hundreds of dollars (or a hundred) on some kind of fancy sleep system that you'll use 1-night and still probably end up with a sore back anyway.
View Quote

Claimant nails it. Just spend $15 or so on
a Coleman mattress and add you bag on
top. This is some of the best money I
have ever spent on camping, if you don't
have to pack it in. These mattresses have
saved me big bucks on chiro visits.

John
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:24:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Coscto sells those fold up thick 4" memory foam type travel mattresses.  My in-laws always bring them when they visit.  I've used them on visits to their place.  Not bad for a night.
Got an old twin size mattress the kids don't use anymore?  Throw it in the back of a truck/SUV and call it a night.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

It killed my back.

I just bought a Thermarest Luxury Map self inflating pad.
I bought the large which was 25 inches wide but if I was doing it over I would get the 30 inch wide extra large.
I then place the pad on a put together Alps Mountaineering cot.
Home comfort.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#16]
For a 1 night trip I'd go with the air mattress.  Should cost around $20 and is available at Walmarts everywhere.  The pump should be around $15; or you might be able to find a combo.

You can use it indoors if you need a place to put someone up for a few days.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#17]
OP I know your pain-

Backyard camping

1) Cot
2) 6" Air Mattress ( if tent is too small for a cot )
3) Foam Pad = pain  ( at least for me )
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Honestly, given the situation I would make arrangements to crash in the guest room of the house. Stay
up late with your son and enjoy the evening. I don't think he will begrudge you if you have to go crash inside
after everyone starts to fall asleep because of chronic back pain..
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Back yard camping, nice grass lawn?  I'd go with a thin closed cell foam pad.

That is given the choices listed.  In reality I would use one of my hammocks because they give me a better nights rest than my memory foam mattress at home.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#20]
The most comfortable thing I have slept on camping is the thermarest mondoking pad I bought. But... its a bit pricey for one night in someones back yard.

I have probably had some of the worst nights on a air mattress.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Foam pad rolled up.
View Quote

This. Still have the old foam army sleeping pad because the air mattress sucks
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I love my Thermarest.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Best nights sleep I've ever had in one. Make sure you lay in it correctly. Plenty of YouTube videos explaining how to lay in them correctly.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I use to have a thin self inflating mattress. It had foam inside and when you opened the valve the foam would expand sucking air into it. Then you could blow in more air to fill it up more before closing the valve.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Had back here ....

My best was a thermarest pro lite 4 ....
OK is the usgi issue thermarest...lil narrow but good.
Not test but felt better (on it for only 10 minutes)  3/4 multimat.

Honestly one night...air pad or cheaper Wally mart inflatable.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There's no sense spending hundreds of dollars (or a hundred) on some kind of fancy sleep system that you'll use 1-night and still probably end up with a sore back anyway.
View Quote

I have used foam pads, no pads, therm-a-rests and all sorts of things sleeping out doors. But not hammocks, they don't work for me as a side sleeper.

If weight and space is not a major issue, then an Intex inflatable mattress from Walmart or Amazon is a really good item. I started off with them by borrowing one from a friend to do some camping. It had an electric plug in air filler, but a trip to Big7 got me an inexpensive hand air piston pump that worked great.

It worked so well for a week of car camping, that I got my own when I got back home. They are inexpensive, reasonably rugged, and let you sleep out in the woods almost as if you are home in your own bed. If I am packing it in, sure, I'll use the thermarest. But if my car is right there, or only a few hundred yards away, I'll take the Intex. Take reasonable precautions with a ground tarp and check the area for sharp objects, but those mattresses will work fine. They keep you about  8" or so off the ground, so you won't get wet if it rains and your floor gets wet. I'd also rather use several twin sized ones rather than one full or queen size. Easier to move them around that way.

If it is cool, I'll use some thin pad or a folded over fleece blanket on top of the mattress since you loose more heat from below than above.

They also work fine when you have company at home, and can inflate a mattress and set it on the floor for your guests if you fill the house up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top