Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2015 10:58:42 PM EDT
I want to get an axe and maul to start chopping wood for exercise, and wood, of course. I am looking at Council Tool as an inexpensive start. What weight and length for chopping. I would probably get their maul as well. What weight is recommend?
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-X27-Super-Splitting-36-Inch/dp/B004M3BAQE

I have this, love it.

But still need a maul or wedge for big rounds.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-X27-Super-Splitting-36-Inch/dp/B004M3BAQE

I have this, love it.

But still need a maul or wedge for big rounds.
View Quote

I use one of those for splitting wood at the hunting cabin.  They also have them at some Walmarts.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
double tap
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
A council tool is a great start. If you want it to cut really well look up the US forest service video on YouTube called "an axe to grind". It's unreal how good an axe will cut if you follow the instructions.

I would also consider buying a used bit in good condition and installing it yourself.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#5]
A buddy picked me up an older US bit. I'm going to get it next week. What would you recommend to split with? I see different kinds of of mauls and different weights.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I would use a Fiskers splitting axe or just buy a used head with a thick profile and put a sharp but steep edge on it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
My buddy and I spilt quite a bit of firewood. We use mainly splitting mauls, but once in a while an axe. You want the weight and momentum of that maul for serious wood splitting.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:05:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Fiskers $5 at yard sale, done.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#9]
The Fiskars are awesome tools and I have three different sizes.

Last year I picked up a Husqvarna axe that is really a rebranded Granfors Brux off of Amazon.

It is an extremely nice axe and literally 4-5 minutes with a stone, I had it shaving a patch of arm hair off. Its the nicest axe I've ever owned by a long shot and it screams pride in craftsmanship.
Price was reasonable too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top