Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2015 8:09:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It's believed that ticks are one of the major reasons Moose are having such high calf mortality rates in many states.  The ticks are literally sucking many calfs dry.  My friend sent me a pic of an anemic adult bull moose with a mass of ticks the size of grapefruit in several places.  I guess for some reason moose do not groom themselves like deer.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Sawyers Maxi-Deet. It's cheap and works great for ticks. I use it on the dogs as well. Not much need lately down here but when I'm up north it's my go to.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Permethrin

Shoes, socks, pants, shirt, hat all soaked in it. I'll probably be riddled with tumors or my kidneys will fall out my asshole by the time I'm 40, but the one thing that's for damn sure is that I won't have a single god damn tick on me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Permethrin

Shoes, socks, pants, shirt, hat all soaked in it. I'll probably be riddled with tumors or my kidneys will fall out my asshole by the time I'm 40, but the one thing that's for damn sure is that I won't have a single god damn tick on me.
View Quote

This.

Permethrin is some good stuff.  Works very well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I would think with the harsher winter, it would have had a positive impact at reducing the tick populations un north.  We have had great luck in the SE last year, but when we did a LNT course up in VA, my wife and I were shocked at the number of ticks.  We treated everything with Permethrin (we do it every spring), but when we removed socks and put on sandals in camp, that was a big mistake.  

Constant vigilance is important...I hate ticks.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#7]
The past few times I've gone jogging, I've pick up a tick... I run on the side of the road which is grass... crazy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Wet years usually produce heavy tick seasons.  The last two years in northern MI have been pretty bad.  I had 40" of snow on the ground as early as 16 Nov last year.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, was just outside in a treeline and was covered.  Looked to be mostly jumping from the trees and all I had were upper body.  Half the trees aren't out of hibernation yet and the ticks are this thick.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I had the first one stuck on me a month ago. I thought that was early.
I've been out a bunch since then and have used deep woods off, no ticks or chiggers yet.
My dog has been lucky so far.
We dont get alot of dear ticks around here. More of the smaller lone star, and seed ticks. Deer ticks have the pear shaped body and are the largest ones around here.
Seed ticks are the Devils spawn. You cant see them at times they are so small.  
Ticks and chiggers are just away of life around here.
Deep woods off and Chigg-away are GTG
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#12]
ticks go through several instars and winter over in the leaf litter

possums pick them up and then eat them when grooming
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
As someone that just got off of multiple antibiotics for the past 3 1/2 years, watch out for ticks!

3 1/2 years ago, I went from very healthy and in good shape to barely being able to walk, talk or see.  I'm now feel better than I did before Lyme.  I might have had it for years and didn't know or my immune system kept it in check.  I don't know...

Lyme tries to kill you physically, emotionally and financially.  DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO AVOID TICKS!!!

Believe me, Lyme is a nightmare.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#15]
The ticks are the worst I've seen them this year!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Permethrin

View Quote

This X10,000. It works!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Had / Have Lyme Disease . Some people can't seem to get rid of it. Not Good.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:17:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I cut and burned brush all evening. During my shower I picked a damn tick off my bird!!!! damn I hate ticks!!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I've also noticed a few ticks on my family and I already this season. Thought I'd share this photo of an engorged tick from a few years ago. My wife found it in the kitchen and happened to be cooking some corn at the same time. She found this corn kernel sized green tick and thought it was just a rotten piece of corn, so naturally she threw it at me . I'd never seen a piece of corn like that but I set it aside to throw away when I got up. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the "corn" move. Upon further examination I found the legs.

" />
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#20]
The best way I've found to get them out is to put a squirt of bug spray right in front of them. They'll back right out even if they already dug in. Less chance of breaking things off under the skin and getting an infection.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks. This looks like it works well. Pretty neat.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep. Used it on my dog this evening...
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The best way I've found to get them out is to put a squirt of bug spray right in front of them. They'll back right out even if they already dug in. Less chance of breaking things off under the skin and getting an infection.

View Quote

Never use anything that will irritate them, as that may cause them to puke into you, and increase the odds of contracting Lyme.  Always gently tug with tweezers at the base instead.

They have to be feeding on you for at least 24 hours before they can transmit Lyme, so  if you check yourself nightly then you should be ok.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Would a couple applications of food grade Diatomaceous earth around the AO help? I have been reading about it and it sounds like a miracule bug killer.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Put these out in May, we'll see how they do.

http://www.ticktubes.com/
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#27]
One of the joys of living in the desert - virtually no ticks
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#28]
All of this info on deer ticks is great, but what about these fuckin' Deer flies.  Everytime I step out of the house I'm swarmed by deer flies.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Never use anything that will irritate them, as that may cause them to puke into you, and increase the odds of contracting Lyme.  Always gently tug with tweezers at the base instead.

They have to be feeding on you for at least 24 hours before they can transmit Lyme, so  if you check yourself nightly then you should be ok.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top