Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2015 4:56:54 PM EDT
We have a five day backpacking trip coming up in the end of May. The temperatures are usually between 90-100 degrees during the daytime here. What can we do to keep medication under 75 degrees for the entire trip?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on what part of the country you're in you can do a couple different things.

Any bodies of water near by?  What temps are they?

Ice in a small container or small cooler for the first couple days?  

In a dry climate like the southwest, evaporative cooling might get you where you need to be.  Something like a linen bag (breathable) dipped in water and out of the sun might work.  

Other parts of the country digging a hole in the ground will get you to a cooler more consistent temp.

Packing it in the middle of your backpack wrapped in a sweatshirt or a decent amount of insulating materials should help.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#2]
We are down in Louisiana so it'll be humid and hot the whole time. Water on this trail is very spread out and the biggest is a lake. No idea what the water temperatures will be though
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks great. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Really it depends on the meds.  I am RN, let me know if I can help you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:49:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

While I have not backpacked with it yet I have one of the frio ones for my Humaria pens when I travel. Seems to do a good job for a days worth of travel, havent had to test it longer than that though.

J-
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Not super ultralight, but you could solidly freeze a couple of water bottles, and keep that with the meds in a soft bodied cooler. That should be good for a day or two, then you can drink em when they no longer provide any cooling.

A gel ice pack can be cooled down pretty well in quick moving spring water each night, especially if you get up early and get the cooler packed while the morning is cool.

A couple of chemical ice-packs can supplement the gel packs. Keep out of the cooler during the heat of the day.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Well the medicine is Keppra. The insulin cases look like they would be the best option so far to me. And on a side note does anyone know of a good satellite messenger/tracker under 200 dollars? Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Is the keppra a solution?

I typically see it in pill form? Does it still need a cool storage?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#10]
It is a pill but is suppose to be stored at room temperature
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't worry about that personally.

If it was a soultion or an injection that extreme heat would mess up. Solid Pills in a dry state, wouldn't even cross my mind.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't believe I forgot to mention this but along with the Keppra there is a solution that is injected in an emergency
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't believe I forgot to mention this but along with the Keppra there is a solution that is injected in an emergency
View Quote

Ativan?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#14]
No I believe it is Diastat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top